Thread: gasket paper....

Default gasket paper....

In the throes of a couple of rebuilds where simple spares are hard to come by here...all available via the web, but can't wait sometimes.
    for example Bonneville head to carbs manifold gaskets. Amal carb float bowl to body gasket. an old BSA primary case , this one has to be oil tight, not just airtight like the Bonnie's.
    So, I have a good selection of various papers, thicker mat boards, offcuts of blotting papers, and all the usual cardboards and papers we have around us daily Im a dab hand with the Swann Morton and endless blades, but any ideas about treating the copied gaskets, shellac, ? wax?, I dont need any heat proof copper asbestos compound types at this point, and want to avoid silicone like Covid. some of the gaskets will be in petrol areas, and silicone turns to jelly. ...simple grease?, engine oil, ? varnish ?
    opinions pleeez
    Freda Kahlo 'mind your own business, Diego'

Default Re: gasket paper....

I'd recommend using nothing on the carb gaskets. I have never had any problems using plain dry gaskets on carbs and I don't recall ever opening one up that had been assembled with goo on it. On the other hand, I would use RTV Silicone on the engine cases. I know you said no to that already, but I rebuilt a Bonneville engine a long time ago and used the blue stuff on the cases when I reassembled it. I rode that bike for several years after that, and I think it was the only Triumph I ever saw that didn't drip oil onto its parking spot.

Hylomar?

can't get it here locally, and with our restrictions its easier to get it on the net, but i want to put some of this stuff back together tomorrow.... what did they do before Hylomar and that red stuff that was ubiquitous before slicone... probably fullers earth and gilders whiting and rabbit skin glue and Scott's porridge oats. just remembered the name Hermatite.

Contact adhesive, like Evostic ?

Hello,

On merchant navy, before ECDIS came in, we used paper charts and plain engine oil, or grease.

You need to make sure your gasket surface is dead flat... And tighten rigourously.

My old BMW R80RT rear wheel casing is fitted with a paper gasket as well... School type paper, with lines ��

permatex aviation type 2 gasket sealer. Works perfect on air cooled VW engine cases...

Just dug out a can of aero fuel tank sealant LJF B1400, used in internal repairs of leaky aviation tanks, so supposedly 100 % petrol, jet fuel resistant ...fulfills all the protocols and standards required by boeing , sikorsky , cessna, my mate's microlight,.... Got given it ten years ago as it was opened, half used , and already out of date, by a pal who is in the aviation maintenance game at an international airport. Major international airline stuff, not crop dusting and barn storming. It has a shelf life of six months, 'batch nš august 2010 Do not use after feb. 2011', two part, ten to one ratio.
    So, the Bonnie's Amal Concentric, .....there's the smallest plastic u shaped lip that supports the floatneedle , that's fractured and is the reason one carb keeps flooding. Made the repair , curing overnight on the woodstove next to the yoghurt culture . I know , a new float costs about 50 cents, but has to come from , whats that country outside Europe, you know , the one with all the islands?, and will take three weeks, with customs duty and a certificate saying its been vaccinated.

And if it's vaccinated you will have a hole in it... 😁