Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Tortoise build

Default Re: Big Tortoise build

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Hehe, that's the first time in a long time I have heard anybody talk about a gun rack on a boat. I imagine you with a big 10 gauge goose gun like in the old Field & Stream magazines. ;-)
    I see what you mean. . . Definitely not for a punt gun, but a great way to keep a shotgun handy if a bird is crippled.

Thanks for all your suggestions during this build. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    Looks like a first class job!

Actually, I expected a camo paint job. That's what most duck boats get in my neck of the woods.

I've been thinking, I do think you should have some form of auxiliary propulsion, and I can certainly understand your reluctance to use oars. I like rowing but my wife flat hates it, and can't understand how anyone could enjoy not seeing where you're going! A canoe paddle would not be much use, but a two-piece kayak paddle would work well in that little boat, and store inside easily. At just over three feet wide and with a tall center thwart it would work well enough to get you back to the ramp when the battery goes flat.

Don't drop your shotgun in the water!

My neighbor dropped both his in the drink last winter. His highfalutin' under/over actually froze up ( temp was in the 20's) but his Benelli still worked, which was just the opposite of what we expected to happen. By the by, he bought a used plastic canoe to do what you'll be doing in Lonesome George. Your boat is far superior for the task, and easy to put in the back of a pickup!
    I seriously thought about camo, but decided to use tan and black to match the sand and brush around where I hunt. Plus, I wanted it to have a "classic" look. I think it will blend in fine on the sandy shore of a beach among the driftwood with a camo blanket draped over it. I also totally agree with you about the auxiliary power. I think you read my mind . . . I bought a kayak paddle just for the job! I appreciate all your comments. I will definitely be loading and unloading it in the back of my pick up. I too, think it will be much more stable and safe than a canoe for picking up ducks and decoys. Now, I just have to wait until next season - nah, I'll probably take it crappie fishing a few times before then!

Quote Originally Posted by Etdbob View Post
    Looks like a first class job!

Actually, I expected a camo paint job. That's what most duck boats get in my neck of the woods.

I've been thinking, I do think you should have some form of auxiliary propulsion, and I can certainly understand your reluctance to use oars. I like rowing but my wife flat hates it, and can't understand how anyone could enjoy not seeing where you're going! A canoe paddle would not be much use, but a two-piece kayak paddle would work well in that little boat, and store inside easily. At just over three feet wide and with a tall center thwart it would work well enough to get you back to the ramp when the battery goes flat.

Don't drop your shotgun in the water!

My neighbor dropped both his in the drink last winter. His highfalutin' under/over actually froze up ( temp was in the 20's) but his Benelli still worked, which was just the opposite of what we expected to happen. By the by, he bought a used plastic canoe to do what you'll be doing in Lonesome George. Your boat is far superior for the task, and easy to put in the back of a pickup!
    I thought about camo, but wanted it to have a more "Classy" look. I think the tan and black will fit in nicely in the sandy, driftwood strewn backwoods where I hunt. I will probably just throw a camo blanket over it and the ducks won't know any different. I also used flat paint, so it wouldn't "glean" in the sunshine.

As far as auxiliary propulsion. . . you read my mind. I purchased a kayak oar at Academy for just such a thing.

Thanks for all your encouragement and help along the way. Now, I just have to wait until mid-September when duck season starts again in Texas - Nah, I think I'll take it crappie fishing a few times before then!