Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24333435 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,190 of 1391

Thread: Trump is Toast

Default Re: Trump is Toast

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    No Ron, your the first to come up with that one!
    What if Biden waited until the end of his term and conceded victory to trump?
    Would that do it?

It seems Trump is trying to intimidate Republicans into backing his candidacy, but they aren't scared anymore.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ss-1234632222/
    But Trump’s efforts to extort Republicans into supporting his third presidential campaign are not going well. He’s secured endorsements from diehard loyalists, but the party’s heavy hitters — even some who have previously been quick to stand behind him — have been hesitant to hop on board. When Trump announced his candidacy from Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday, Madison Cawthorn, the scandal-ridden outgoing representative from North Carolina, was the only member of Congress who bothered to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    It seems Trump is trying to intimidate Republicans into backing his candidacy, but they aren't scared anymore.
    Cawthorn has already cleared out his offices and nobody is returning constituent's calls. He's MIA and hasn't even finished his term.

Class act. (NOT!)
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

And major donors are walking away from Trump:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ken-...es-run-2022-11
    Ken Griffin, the CEO of investment firm Citadel and a Republican mega-donor, called former President Donald Trump a "three-time loser" and said he hoped Trump wouldn't run for the White House again.
    "I'd like to think that the Republican party is ready to move on from somebody who has been for this party a three-time loser," Griffin said on Wednesday at the Bloomberg New Economy Forum in Singapore.
    While Griffin praised Trump for his rollout of COVID-19 vaccines in 2020, he referenced Trump's failed presidential bid in 2020, the results of this year's midterms, and the Republican party's loss of two Georgia Senate seats in 2021.
    "I really hope that President Trump sees the writing on the wall," Griffin said. His remarks came before Trump announced his 2024 bid at Mar-a-Lago.
    Griffin voiced support for Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who has yet to announce a presidential campaign for 2024.

This is going to be interesting. At least part of the party and more of of the big money folks are dumping him, it seems - but how much damage he'll do on the way out, and how much of a spoiler he could be as he flails about . . . and if it becomes obvious that he won't be the nominee, will he persevere, or try an independent run, or what? He doesn't handle losing well, that's for sure.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

We'll see if they stay away, eh? Many of the donors who paused donations after J6 have quietly started up again. Whether out of pragmatism or intimidation. Or both.

It's clear that should the authoritarian wing get full power, they'll settle scores. They're already saying so, overtly.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    This is going to be interesting. At least part of the party and more of of the big money folks are dumping him, it seems - but how much damage he'll do on the way out, and how much of a spoiler he could be as he flails about . . . and if it becomes obvious that he won't be the nominee, will he persevere, or try an independent run, or what? He doesn't handle losing well, that's for sure.
    He'll file one ginormous lawsuit against all voters in the country and another one against Congress, to get an injunction to stall the vote until he can be heard at the supreme court... and he'll claim he's been so unfairly treated and that the whole system, not just the election, is rigged. The whole country is rigged, the economy is rigged. It's so unfair. The whine king, and the losingest loser of all time. The losingest loser who ever lost. He should be in a book—dedicated to losers. They should start calling it the trmp and found. You go to play tennis and when you leave the locker room you can't find your racquet, you go to the trmp and found.

Garland just appointed a special prosecutor to investigate Trump. This means that any indictments are a very
    long way off. It also means that a future Trump DoJ (heaven forbid) can't stop the investigation.
    I don't know if this is good or bad. More likely bad.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Garland just appointed a special prosecutor to investigate Trump. This means that any indictments are a very
    long way off. It also means that a future Trump DoJ (heaven forbid) can't stop the investigation.
    I don't know if this is good or bad. More likely bad.
    Not sure that it means that indictments are far off. Investigations must be pretty "ripe" by now with all the time that they've had.

I think the biggest thing, now that T**** has made the announcement that he's running, is that the Special Council is "independent", so T**** claims that he's being persecuted by the administrations get blunted.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I agree that it may easily mean that the indictments are closer, not further away. To me, it's fairly clear that 3 things are implied in this announcement:

First, the midterms are over. Any announcement - whether of indictments, or of a Special Counsel appointment into Trump - would have tipped the "ooh, but it's political - trying to influence the election" scale. The House control got settled what, 2 days ago? Given that, this is as timely as one could expect ... at least, if one had to suck up that Garland hadn't indicted Trump before 3 months ago.

Second, this insulates the investigation etc. from the "impeach everyone" fever that's gonna hit in January. Garland's put as much of a firewall around at least that part of the process as possible.

Third, who says indictments are forever away, delayed by this? The appointee (Jack Smith) appears to have as much a reputation as a very quick study as for boldness and thoroughness. Mueller's team put out their first indictments after 5 months, and they were starting from scratch. I'd frankly look for the first tranche of charges within a month of the new Congress being seated. Though obviously, I may be wrong.

To me, this is confirmation that it's weighing very heavily towards indicting Trump, and senior members of his advisor circle.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Time will tell. I don't know Jack about Jack. Mueller had outlived his reputation, and that turned out to be a problem. I hope it's not being repeated.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    hmmm, Nader effect...
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Time will tell. I don't know Jack about Jack. Mueller had outlived his reputation, and that turned out to be a problem. I hope it's not being repeated.
    He's being recalled from The Hague, where he's been prosecuting Kosovo war crimes trials. Doesn't sound like he's past his prime, on that basis.

Those mega-donors are not altruists, they're buying influence, they're going to spend that money on whoever is in a position to advance their interests.
    They surely hope that some other candidate rises to prominence, but if it turns out to be trump they're going to buy them some trump.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I think Jennifer Rubin is correct:

Merrick Garland was right to appoint a special counsel

By Jennifer Rubin
    Columnist
    November 18, 2022 at 3:42 p.m. EST

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced on Friday that seasoned prosecutor Jack Smith will serve as special counsel overseeing investigations into Donald Trump. That includes all aspects of the investigations into the former president’s hoarding of classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate and portions of the Justice Department’s Jan. 6 criminal inquiry having to do with him and senior officials in his administration.

The appointment was necessary, Garland said, given the “extraordinary circumstances” of the investigations. Because Trump has announced he will run for president, and President Biden has said he intends to as well, it was in the “public interest” to assign a special counsel.

Advocates of swift action against Trump no doubt will be alarmed by the announcement, but there is less here than meets the eye. For starters, Smith needs no introduction to the Justice Department. He was appointed first assistant U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee in February 2015. Before that, he worked as head of the department’s Public Integrity Section and as investigation coordinator in the Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court. He also worked in the U.S. attorney’s office in the Eastern District of New York.

Most important, the attorney general announced that the career staff who have been working on these cases will continue in their roles. That, Garland suggested, will mean the query will “not slow down.” Smith will make a recommendation to Garland on whether to prosecute Trump. Until then, Garland will have no direct supervision over Smith.

Did Garland need to wait until Trump’s campaign launch to make the appointment? Perhaps not, but so long as Trump was not an active candidate, there was little reason for Garland to step aside. Now that Trump is a potential opponent to Biden, Garland believes it is essential to add a layer of separation between himself and the line prosecutors.

Constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe tells me, “Looking over Jack Smith’s decades of prosecutorial experience, it’s hard to imagine anyone better prepared to hit the ground running and to sew together whatever loose ends remain as he puts together a comprehensive prosecution of the leaders of the attempted coup, with the former president at its center, as well as a powerful prosecution of the former president for his theft of top secret documents as he absconded to Mar-a-Lago.” He adds that, while he previously “publicly urged that there was no need to appoint a special counsel, my principal concern was the need to avoid delay, and it appears that this appointment will solve that problem.”

Norman Eisen, who served as co-counsel to the House impeachment managers during Trump’s first impeachment, agrees. “I have no concern that a special counsel will shy away from charging, and Jack Smith has outstanding experience,” he tells me. Eisen also thinks the move will not cause much of a delay. He observes: “Mr. Smith should move with alacrity. Here, where any other American who had removed the even one classified document would be subject to likely prosecution, and where the former president took dozens, the rule of law demands fast action.”

Ironically, Trump was betting that his announcement would somehow protect him from prosecution. Instead, it prompted Garland to take an additional step to diminish the argument that the investigations against him are politically motivated. That, of course, will not matter to Trump and his MAGA cultists, but it might provide a measure of reassurance to ordinary Americans that the Justice Department has gone the extra step to prevent the appearance of a political vendetta.

In some sense, this might make prosecution easier insofar as Smith will not let political questions interfere with his work, such as whether it is appropriate to prosecute a former president. Once Smith makes a recommendation, Garland will almost certainly follow it, relying not only on the judgment of career prosecutors who have been working on the case but also relying on Smith’s independent judgment.

In a written statement, Smith said, “I intend to conduct the assigned investigations, and any prosecutions that may result from them, independently and in the best traditions of the Department of Justice. The pace of the investigations will not pause or flag under my watch.” He added, “I will exercise independent judgement and will move the investigations forward expeditiously and thoroughly to whatever outcome the facts and the law dictate.”

That’s as it should be. The department will prosecute Trump if the facts and law support such action. In that singular sense, nothing has changed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...mp-right-call/
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    hmmm, Nader effect...
    Could happen. Trump would likely get a lot more votes than Nader did.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I think Garland has made a cowardly move. He appears to think, that assigning a special counsel will placate the GOP (an impossibility). Instead of taking that heat himself, he "passed the buck." He's brought politics into a decision about justice.

Does Garland really think that bringing charges will be easier in 2024?
    Last edited by Bflat; 11-18-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Experts say this will speed things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p87mljBLXdg&t=2313s

Neal Katyal (who helped write the rules concerning special counsel) has expressed great disappointment at Garland's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    Neal Katyal (who helped write the rules concerning special counsel) has expressed great disappointment at Garland's decision.
    Really? I just checked his Twitter feed, nothing about great disappointment.

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Neal Katyal

@neal_katyal

·
    1h

If there's anything we've learned, it's that Trump&his base will criticize anyone who goes against his wishes. It doesn't matter if it's Merrick Garland,Jack Smith,or even his own Vice President. They attack anyone who disagrees &a special counsel does nothing to change that fact

Really? I just checked his Twitter feed, nothing about great disappointment.

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    I just heard him say it on MSNBC 3 PM Central time (Nicole Walace's show). He mentioned that he'd been holding off opining until sometime after Garland's announcement. He's still using Twitter?
    Last edited by Bflat; 11-18-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    I think Garland has made a cowardly move. He appears to think, that assigning a special counsel will placate the GOP (an impossibility). Instead of taking that heat himself, he "passed the buck." He's brought politics into a decision about justice.

Does Garland really think that bringing charges will be easier in 2024?
    In fact, he's done the opposite.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    In fact, he's done the opposite.
    Calling your opinion a fact doesn't necessarily make it one.
    Last edited by Bflat; 11-18-2022 at 06:35 PM.

^
    ?

You are both expressing your personal opinion. I also do not view this as Garland bringing politics into a decision about justice.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    ?

You are both expressing your personal opinion. I also do not view this as Garland bringing politics into a decision about justice.
    Yes. I thought it was clear that I was offering my opinion; having started my post with, "I think."
    Last edited by Bflat; 11-18-2022 at 07:39 PM.

It's, in fact, standard legal practice to hand procedure to a neutral player when there's a potential for conflict of interest.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It's, in fact, standard legal practice to hand procedure to a neutral player when there's a potential for conflict of interest.
    Neal Katyal took part in writing the rules for special counsel. This afternoon, on MSNBC's "Nicole Wallace show he expressed great disappointment with Garland'a decision. His opinion was that it was unnecessary and not advisable. Maybe you're right. I'm certainly no lawyer.

I watched Katyal's take on his Twitter feed. I don't agree. We've never prosecuted an ex-president before, and besides, if there's a Republican president after 2024, we'll be glad there's a special prosecutor. Nor do I think a guy with Jack Smith's background will delay the case.

If I had committed a crime, I don't think I'd want this guy coming after me.

Fortunately, my conscience is clear. Sort of. If they come after me for smoking the occasional blunt, I don't stand a chance.

I don't know enough for my opinions to be worth much, but there are few aspects of this that seem potentially troubling:

1. The last special counsel didn't succeed at securing an indictment, despite an excellent reputation. Maybe that's more of a slam on Congress than on Mueller, but I still worry that another special counsel investigation might well end the same way--all whimper, no bang. Particularly given the unprecedented and seriously heavy move of indicting a former president.

2. I do wonder if Garland handing this case off to a special counsel is a way of avoiding responsibility. An act of political cowardice, or (if I'm kind) expedience.

3. Trump and his enablers will still believe that it's all a politically motivated "witch hunt" whether it's the DOJ or a special counsel doing the work. So I don't think this move does anything to make it seem less political to those already inclined to doubt the investigation's validity.

As I mentioned, I have questions and no answers. But the overall effect of the last five 6 years on my expectations is that I'll be very surprised--pleasantly so--if any substantive action whatsoever is taken against the president who incited and supported an armed insurrection designed to overturn a national election to remain in power, or the party who supported him in that goal AND continues to pursue state-level offices in charge of elections so they can destroy our electoral process. Not to mention, the guy who stole classified documents, an uncontestable crime at this point.

I fear that, just as in the banking debacle of 2008, none of the perpetrators will face any consequences for their crimes. Whether a special counsel makes it more likely that I'm right, or more likely that I'm wrong, I have no idea.

I'm feeling pretty pessimistic that those in power now will do much of anything to protect the rule of law regarding Trump and his supporters.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I don't know enough for my opinions to be worth much, but there are few aspects of this that seem potentially troubling:

1. The last special counsel didn't succeed at securing an indictment, despite an excellent reputation. Maybe that's more of a slam on Congress than on Mueller, but I still worry that another special counsel investigation might well end the same way--all whimper, no bang. Particularly given the unprecedented and seriously heavy move of indicting a former president.
    It's more of a slam on the Department of Justice than anything else.

Mueller was hamstrung by the DOJ's policy that a sitting president can't be indicted. As an employee of Justice, he was bound by that policy.

Never mind that the opinion that became that policy was (1) cut from whole cloth in a blatant attempt to shield Richard Milhouse Nixon from prosecution in the aftermath of Watergate, and (2) more importantly, it's not supported in the constitutional text in any way shape or form. The constitution has one explicit grant of immunity, to members of the Congress, to protect them from being prevented from attending Congress as an act of political malfeasance.

That grant being in the text, one cannot then argue that there is a similar, inferred grant of immunity for the President.

The DOJ's sole "argument" that a sitting president cannot be indicted (and by implication, tried) is that it might prevent him from performing his duties of Office.

And that is why there is a vice-president, whose sole constitutional duties are (a) to preside over the Senate, and (b) to be ready to assume the reins of power should the president become unable to execute his Office (such as, for instance, being either in the dock whilst being tried, or imprisoned for crimes he he has committed.)

A fundamental principle of American democracy and common law is that all men stand equal before the law: no man stands above the law.

The president of the United States is an ordinary man, holding an ordinary elected office. Not much different than the mayor of Lost Spring, Wyoming (pop. 6, as of the 2020 census).
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    It's more of a slam on the Department of Justice than anything else.
    Would it be within the authority of Congress to pass legislation over-ruling the DOJ's policy of non-indictment? Legislation trumps policy every time.

If that's true, the lack of indictments from the Mueller investigation is a slam on Congress.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I found this somehow reassuring https://edition.cnn.com/videos/polit...-contd-vpx.cnn JayInOz

It is a video- eventually

I watched Katyal's take on his Twitter feed. I don't agree. We've never prosecuted an ex-president before, and besides, if there's a Republican president after 2024, we'll be glad there's a special prosecutor. Nor do I think a guy with Jack Smith's background will delay the case.

If I had committed a crime, I don't think I'd want this guy coming after me.

Fortunately, my conscience is clear. Sort of. If they come after me for smoking the occasional blunt, I don't stand a chance.
    He does look Cohen Bros-ish!
    Rick

This doesn't sound good for donny- https://www.google.com/search?q=cnn+...id:QwB-jiM1ang JayInOz