Default New kit-car, based on the Miata

The Algorithm Is Watching

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Re: New kit-car, based on the Miata

Oh. My.

Hilarious. But unless blocked by the helmet, the photo of the car on track appears to have no rollover bar, whereas the skeleton frame appears to have one. Or is the track car the actual Alfa and not the replica?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Unless you're only going to use that on track , then the look in going to be spoilt by the legal requirements, lights, mudguards, heat protection over the exhaust, etc..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

I still haven't figured out if they use a solid rear axle or have halfshafts hugely cantilevered outboard of Miata rear knuckles.

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

In the article as linked by Jim above, one of the photos shows a minimalist rollbar, which follows the contours of the seatback, it also notes that the large 'drums' on the rear axle are appearance covers over the Mazda disk brakes, if I read it correctly. An interesting take on a replica - I have been 'following' the Factory Five , Smyth truck, and other replica cars with interest, ( not pocketbook ) since about 1983, when I purchased, and used as a daily driver , a well built VW-based MG-TD replica.

Rick

Rob?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Rob?
    Quad is purchasing a project car, so my hands will be too full.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Quad is purchasing a project car. . .
    wrecked miata?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wrecked miata?
    Worse. A 66 beetle. Maybe I can convince him to flip it...

Worse. A ‘66 beetle. Maybe I can convince him to flip it...
    by flip do you mean re-sell or get inverted

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Flip, not roll.

It was hilarious fun to go check out the car with him first time, and test drive. Being Quad, it took him 3.2 nanoseconds to master driving a standard.

Weve identified the work that NEEDS to be done, and hes done calculating; it would not surprise me one bit if he turned this car into cash and another car, somehow.

'66 Beetle? Great project!! Plenty of parts, huge aftermarket support, endless YouTube videos if you get stuck....Please let us follow along.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    '66 Beetle? Great project!! Plenty of parts, huge aftermarket support, endless YouTube videos if you get stuck....Please let us follow along.
    Hes actually buying it from the now-President of the club we used to belong to. Unfortunately, I wont really need any you tubes, as there is NOTHING I havent done to these things. I have a VERY love/hate. Hahaha.

First project will be beam off for cleaning and renewal. He doesnt want to lower it, so well leave that be.

Second project will be a proper fix for the clutch tube. Ahem.

It really is a nice car, in decent shape. And, Quad wants it specifically BECAUSE its relatively low investment project that he CAN flip, if he wants.
    Mostly, he wants to tinker with a Sunday driver type car.

Well, and, that smell is in his blood. That old VW smell. Gasoline/exhaust fumes/horsehair. Not like the modern VWs that smell like crayons.

Don't forget the smell of lead acid battery arcing against seat springs. That has a certain je nais sai quoi....

2BDD2EBE-E85D-41C0-843F-1957AD31C54F.jpg
    To be fair, we are at least partially to blame. I’m the reason these dumb kids think VWs are practical and reliable everyday transportation.

I just hope I can convince my buddy to come out of retirement to build Quad a motor.

ETA: he’s in there, crammed in the back. The entire car is loaded for bear. This was a second gear trip, because the grade was so steep and the car so burdened.

Sticky little beasts aren't they? I've been thinking about replacing my '63 ragtop since the day I sold it 25 years ago.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Sticky little beasts aren't they? I've been thinking about replacing my '63 ragtop since the day I sold it 25 years ago.
    My Wife wants a 62. Why THAT particular rag, I dont know, but that her dream bug.

The only VW Id fall for any more is a late-ish model IRS pan that I could pre-runner. Longer and wider all around with an EFi 2 liter and a Fortin 5 speed...

Roads? Where were going, we dont NEED roads.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Don't forget the smell of lead acid battery arcing against seat springs. That has a certain je nais sai quoi....
    So that's what that white plastic thingy is for? Who knew? Not me! Ah memories...

All the drift aside, Id LOVE a long nosed car such as the OP. There is a windy road around here that would be PERFECT for that car.
    Its my favorite 3rd gear road on the KLR.

IITRC there was an English kit manufacturer whose bodywork turned a Miata into a very attractive Ferrari 275 GTB wannabe.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

To be fair, we are at least partially to blame. I’m the reason these dumb kids think VWs are practical and reliable everyday transportation.

I just hope I can convince my buddy to come out of retirement to build Quad a motor.

ETA: he’s in there, crammed in the back. The entire car is loaded for bear. This was a second gear trip, because the grade was so steep and the car so burdened.
    My folks moved when my brother and I were wee. And drove one exactly like that (tell Jeannette it was a '57)- including the canoe - from Thompson Manitoba clear to Toronto with me 3 weeks old and Steve 18 months. Camping. Sent the rest of their worldly goods ahead by train.

Allegedly when setting up the tent, they'd put steve on the ground and turn the old school wooden playpen overtop of him like a cage. God only knows what they did with me.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    IITRC there was an English kit manufacturer whose bodywork turned a Miata into a very attractive Ferrari 275 GTB wannabe.

Rattling the teacups.

I bought her that car just before we married. It was near one of my buddy’s houses, and she kept seeing it, and then just couldn’t resist.
    We just found the receipt the other day for the engine. My buddy built it for us, and he built it exactly like a race motor (he built off road and formula vee motors), but “normal” power; balanced and etc, but not built to wail, rather to last.

We took our honeymoon trip in that car, and brought all three of our own kids home from the hospital in it. We simply outgrew it.

Love this photo! I should look for a photo of my ‘69 Beetle convertible. That car was so fun. I put on a new top and made some wooden floorboards on top of the old rusted out ones. Made a profit when I sold it even. I bought it for $1000 and sold it for $1500. I think the roof kit was $300

KBB puts a 20 year old Miata in "fair" condition at right around $3000US. Reasonable entry point for a re-body project, but I really like my stock '92 (bright yellow with the automatic transmission) so it will stay just the way it is.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Love this photo! I should look for a photo of my 69 Beetle convertible. That car was so fun. I put on a new top and made some wooden floorboards on top of the old rusted out ones. Made a profit when I sold it even. I bought it for $1000 and sold it for $1500. I think the roof kit was $300
    I rebuilt Her 69 she had in high school from the pan off. Then, someone offered her money, and she took the money. We kept the vanity plates and steering wheel, however, and Quad plans to use the wheel, at least, on his beetle.

We used good old Yakima 1A mounts, cranked tight(!) to the gutters.

Which, one time, when we were heading to a boat show to paddle around and look at power boats, the rack started to slip down in front.
    We had to pull off on a sketchy mountain road shoulder and I lifted the canoe while she slid the rack back. We retightened them and drove on.

Our kids all grew up in that boat, too. Well, the first two did. Daughter used to nap right up in the bow, and Quad would doze between the yoke and rear seat, with all the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    A 'flip' is a full 360 'roll'...

Some folks are ambitious, doncha know.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Just love that pic. And the stories

I keep looking at the photograph and thinking it must be a model that came out of a 12-inch box at the hobby store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Find a crashed Miata.

Buy this kit:
    FFCB4EB9-67E6-4D82-97D1-74778AE9BFAE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    A 'flip' is a full 360 'roll'...

Some folks are ambitious, doncha know.
    A flip is end over end; front flip or back flip.

A roll is side to side.

The number of rotations, or partial rotations, has no bearing on the term.

Dammit, it still won't be a skateboard no matter how hard you drive it.

At $ 10+K, I will give it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Once trapped my wedding ring between the + and that seat rail. Burned, but didn’t scar.