Thread: WA360 replaces R2AK for 2021

Default WA360 replaces R2AK for 2021

Dang, 360 miles in 2 weeks. All within easy bail out, no major open water crossings and no international borders. Almost sounds do-able for a Walkabout row cruiser .

https://nwmaritime.org/wa360/

No steak knives though, first prize is a perennial belt.

FEW DETAILS MATTER

• Gun goes off June 7, 2021 on the Port Townsend waterfront.
    • Unlike R2AK, you can keep your engine aboard, but if you use it, you’re out.
    • Like the R2AK, human powering is legit.
    • First boat to finish for each class wins.
    • Two weeks. That’s how long teams have to call themselves a finisher.
    • If the support isn’t preplanned, and generally available to any and all racers, it’s okay.
    • Stopping along the way is totally fine, just avoid towns and stay COVID real.

THE ROUTE

Start by running south into Puget Sound til you can go no further, turn around and do the same to Point Roberts, then come back home. You’ll hopefully wave to towns in this order:
    Port Townsend - Port Ludlow - Olympia - Tacoma - Seattle - Oak Harbor - Anacortes - Bellingham - Point Roberts - Port Townsend
    We don’t care how often you stop or where it’s at, but if you do stop, you gotta comply with whatever local regs currently in place to deal with whatever COVID hellscape we find ourselves in at the moment. Your politics are your own, but this race will be following the sum total of the guidance being offered by the communities we’ll be traveling through. Do differently, and you’re likely to find yourself exiled from town and this race.

CLASSES

Honor in winning is honor in life: We don’t rate boats, don’t even know how. There'll be three classes of prize:

• Go Fast. The fastest of the fast, racing sleds and catamarans with a sail to cupholder ratio that exceeds 1:1.
    • Go Hard. Others might call this “Cruising Class.” We’re not those people. Racing a cruiser is inherently slower, which is harder.
    • Human Powered. Kayaks, rowboats, SUPs, and other muscle-laden heroes who for whatever reason forgo the wind.

Which class are you? You tell us. If you’re a paddle boarder and you want to go up against the big sleds...fine. If you’re a TP52 with a navigation system from NASA with a flux capacitor core and try to enter as a paddleboard in the human-powered class? We’re not gonna buy it. We don’t know PHRF, but we’re badass at poker. Play it straight and earn a story you’re proud to tell.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: WA360 replaces R2AK for 2021

Nice ! Good dose of common sense.

Fun event. I really think the NW Maritime Center is the most creative, optimistic organization around.

From a rowboat's perspective ... all major open crossings could be avoided, but when you tick the mileage off on the chart you're looking at more than 300 miles over 14 days. That's about 20-21 miles per day. If you get stuck somewhere for a day it'll suddenly be a very tight trip. To finish in time, you're likely going to need to make at least one or two decently big open water crossings. One would be Point Roberts southbound to Patos/Sucia. The other would be Watmough Bay to Port Townsend, southbound across the Strait of Juan de Fuca, though you could go back all the way around Whidbey. Blergh. Both are crossings I'd be willing to make in Haverchuck as long as the weather window looked good. I'd be less bullish about the strait, but with support and other small craft around, yeah sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.

The Murray Marathon in which I paddled a few times was 404km in 5 days on a river with mostly a 2 knot current and temperatures up to 40c.

This will be a fun event to watch. The segment from Vashon Island south will be a down & back sort of thing. Rowers will notice the biggest change of scenery, the others... not so much. I'm happy to see they created three classes each with it's own winner. Too bad about no steak knives and the perennial belt buckle trophy is a little lame. I think they should take a hint from the Iditarod race in AK and award each finisher a belt buckle (wearable). Same true for the R2AK.

These are arduous events and individual efforts are deserving of being acknowledged.

Jeff

Repurpose an old trophy, maybe from a forgotten class of boat. Give it a new base and a new life.

I like this a lot. A friend and I are already plotting.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty