X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Trump threatens to veto Covid bill

Now he says he wants the checks to be $2k instead of $600

Pelosi said she's fine with that and will quickly get it passed the house.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
  • SMARTINSEN
    Transplanted Yankee
    • Dec 2006

Re: Trump threatens to veto Covid bill

He has not signed the NDAA, either if he does not by Wednesday, it will become law. I would not be surprised to see the same approach here by loser coward wussy lameduck president.
    Steve Martinsen

Comment

• John Smith
      • Mar 2009

He's some piece of work, as my grandpa used to say.
      "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
        Transplanted Yankee
        • Dec 2006

Troll level: Expert

Originally posted by Nancy Smash
        Republicans repeatedly refused to say what amount the President wanted for direct checks. At last, the President has agreed to $2,000 — Democrats are ready to bring this to the Floor this week by unanimous consent. Let’s do it! …
        Steve Martinsen

Comment

• Rich Jones
          What boat to build next?
          • Apr 2009

With this and his failure to get re-elected, I believe Trump is saying to the GOP, "If I go down, you're going down with me!"
          He is now actively trying to destroy the GOP that didn't put him back in the WH.
          I'm good with that.
          I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
          Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
            Flâneur • Seattle
            • Feb 2001

Originally posted by John Smith
            Now he says he wants the checks to be $2k instead of $600

Pelosi said she's fine with that and will quickly get it passed the house.

Bill is already passed by both houses. There's no more amending possible. They'd have to start the whole process over from scratch as a new bill. Gonna get that all that procedural who-ha done before the current Congress expires, and during Christmas week?
            “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
            — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• Flobart
              Banned
              • Aug 2020

Comment

• skuthorp
                • Jan 2002

27 Trillion eh. Debt 128% of GDP eh?
                Pshaw……..

Comment

• Flobart
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2020

Amy Klobuchar just went on MSNBC to call raising the stimulus to $2,000 per person "an attack on every American" and suggests Congress override Trump's veto. pic.twitter.com/mEdDUY9dNu

Can any American explain why a $2000 dollar stimulas cheque for each American is an attack, but....

FOREIGN HANDOUTS:
                  A minimum of $3.3 billion in grants to Israel.
                  NEVER MIND $3.3 BILLION IN GRANTS TO ISRAEL pic.twitter.com/AqXzPjaL7o
                  — based tomboy respecter (@inteldotwav) December 21, 2020
                  Also included is $453 million to Ukraine, on top of the $400 million Trump eventually released. No word on how much of that goes to the 'big guy.'
                  COVID RELIEF SENDS $453m TO UKRAINE pic.twitter.com/1WoPRUl3E9
                  — The_Real_Fly (@The_Real_Fly) December 21, 2020
                  $10 million for "gender programs" in Pakistan.
                  The Covid relief bill also includes $10 million for “gender programs” in Pakistan pic.twitter.com/7kivucCjvY
                  — Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) December 21, 2020
                  $1.3 billion to Egypt, and $700 million to Sudan.
                  $130,265,000 to fucking backwoods-ass Nepal pic.twitter.com/MosD3HJJ8O
                  SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION TO SUDAN

ONE POINT THREE BILLION TO EGYPT

IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ECONOMIC CRISIS pic.twitter.com/NPWpq6Xyuq
                  $135 million to Burma, $85.5 million to Cambodia, $1.4 billion for an "Asia Reassurance Initiative Act," and $130 million to Nepal.
                  The Stimulus Bill:

The gov't closes the economy. You lose your job. You face eviction.

$600 for all your troubles.

Meanwhile they send:

$135 million to Burma
                  $85.5 million to Cambodia
                  $1.4 billion for "Asia Reassurance Initiative Act"
                  $130 million to Nepal

They hate you. pic.twitter.com/95U2Qt4uNa
                  — Techno Fog (@Techno_Fog) December 21, 2020
                  BOMBS AWAY
                  $4 billion for Navy weapons procurement, $2 billion for Space Force and $2 billion for Air Force missiles.
                  $4 billion for Navy weapons procurement. pic.twitter.com/luzf8EPMwm
                  — Walker Bragman (@WalkerBragman) December 21, 2020
                  $2 billion for Space Force! pic.twitter.com/SBcSCKSIh4
                  — Walker Bragman (@WalkerBragman) December 21, 2020
                  BUREAUCRATIC BONANZA AND OTHER MALARKEY
                  $208 million to upgrade the Census Bureau's computer systems (which couldn't have waited until the next count in 2030?).
                  This is just a massive spending bill loaded with pork. Billions and billions to government agencies that received normal budget allocations this year. Vote them all out. https://t.co/6jKL9JmYkj
                  — GW (@GregBW12) December 21, 2020
                  $40 million for the Kennedy Center, and funding to discourage teenagers from drinking and hooking up.
                  The Covid relief bill provides $40 million for the Kennedy Center pic.twitter.com/aHt8UEkYWA
                  $193 million for federal HIV/AIDS workers to buy cars and car insurance overseas, and a feminist museum.
                  The Covid relief bill includes $193 million for federal HIV/AIDS workers stationed abroad to buy new cars pic.twitter.com/y16iyK2aJF
                  Funding for a commission to educate consumers "about the dangers associated with using or storing portable fuel containers for flammable liquids near an open flame." (What?)
                  The Covid relief bill creates a commission tasked with educating “consumers about the dangers associated with using or storing portable fuel containers for flammable liquids near an open flame." pic.twitter.com/W3Qc6B7CRG
                  Just remember, $600 is a significant amount...
                  Dear @SpeakerPelosi
                  You know what’s even better than giving us back our own money, pork to your friends, and astronomically increasing our debt?
                  Opening up businesses and freedom. https://t.co/RFZdPu2mXm
                  — 1776 Gwendolyn (@scvbuckeye) December 21, 2020

So many gems hidden in 5,000 pages of "Covid stimulas bill". This is both sides spending money they do not have, but giving YOU the debt to pay.

Comment

• dutchpp
                    The Netherlands
                    • Nov 2011

Publicerar du lite vänsterpropaganda Flobart?

Comment

• Flobart
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2020

Joe Biden praised the process by which the bill was passed, saying “I applaud the bipartisan Congressional economic relief package” and called it “a model for the challenging work ahead.”Something tells me he didn’t read the bill either.

Comment

• John Smith
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Nicholas Carey
                        Bill is already passed by both houses. There's no more amending possible. They'd have to start the whole process over from scratch as a new bill. Gonna get that all that procedural who-ha done before the current Congress expires, and during Christmas week?
                        I don't know. I expect they can keep the precise same bill and simply replace $600 with $2000 and pass it through the house with a single vote, and it could pass through the senate with a single vote.

Trump still, likely, wouldn't sign it.

Comment

• John Smith
                          • Mar 2009

I know how to pay for this all: Rescind all the tax cuts from Reagan through Trump.

Comment

• sleek
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2012

I dont want him to sign it, even if we get 4k per adult The money leaving this country is retarded and needs to stop.

Comment

• Gerarddm
                              #RESIST
                              • Feb 2010

What's the big deal? Pass the $600 bill now, add another $1,400 in a separate bill, kick the tires, take it out for a test drive.

Deficit hawks can go shove there heads firmly up the nether parts of their anatomy. They had no issue with a bloated budget and tax breaks for the corporations and wealthy.

I am also in favor of a law that limits provisos in any given law to the actual subject at hand and not stick non-related riders onto a given bill. The money to Nepal might very well be justified ( who knows, certainly not me ), but it and its ilk have no place in a domestic COVID relief bill.
                              Gerard>
                              Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

Working...