Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump threatens to veto Covid bill

Default Trump threatens to veto Covid bill

Now he says he wants the checks to be $2k instead of $600

Pelosi said she's fine with that and will quickly get it passed the house.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Default Re: Trump threatens to veto Covid bill

He has not signed the NDAA, either if he does not by Wednesday, it will become law. I would not be surprised to see the same approach here by loser coward wussy lameduck president.
    Steve Martinsen

He's some piece of work, as my grandpa used to say.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Troll level: Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Smash
    Republicans repeatedly refused to say what amount the President wanted for direct checks. At last, the President has agreed to $2,000 — Democrats are ready to bring this to the Floor this week by unanimous consent. Let’s do it! …
    Steve Martinsen

With this and his failure to get re-elected, I believe Trump is saying to the GOP, "If I go down, you're going down with me!"
    He is now actively trying to destroy the GOP that didn't put him back in the WH.
    I'm good with that.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Now he says he wants the checks to be $2k instead of $600

Pelosi said she's fine with that and will quickly get it passed the house.

Bill is already passed by both houses. There's no more amending possible. They'd have to start the whole process over from scratch as a new bill. Gonna get that all that procedural who-ha done before the current Congress expires, and during Christmas week?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

27 Trillion eh. Debt 128% of GDP eh?
    Pshaw……..

Amy Klobuchar just went on MSNBC to call raising the stimulus to $2,000 per person "an attack on every American" and suggests Congress override Trump's veto. pic.twitter.com/mEdDUY9dNu

Can any American explain why a $2000 dollar stimulas cheque for each American is an attack, but....

FOREIGN HANDOUTS:
    A minimum of $3.3 billion in grants to Israel.
    NEVER MIND $3.3 BILLION IN GRANTS TO ISRAEL pic.twitter.com/AqXzPjaL7o
    — based tomboy respecter (@inteldotwav) December 21, 2020
    Also included is $453 million to Ukraine, on top of the $400 million Trump eventually released. No word on how much of that goes to the 'big guy.'
    COVID RELIEF SENDS $453m TO UKRAINE pic.twitter.com/1WoPRUl3E9
    — The_Real_Fly (@The_Real_Fly) December 21, 2020
    $10 million for "gender programs" in Pakistan.
    The Covid relief bill also includes $10 million for “gender programs” in Pakistan pic.twitter.com/7kivucCjvY
    — Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) December 21, 2020
    $1.3 billion to Egypt, and $700 million to Sudan.
    $130,265,000 to fucking backwoods-ass Nepal pic.twitter.com/MosD3HJJ8O
    SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION TO SUDAN

ONE POINT THREE BILLION TO EGYPT

IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ECONOMIC CRISIS pic.twitter.com/NPWpq6Xyuq
    $135 million to Burma, $85.5 million to Cambodia, $1.4 billion for an "Asia Reassurance Initiative Act," and $130 million to Nepal.
    The Stimulus Bill:

The gov't closes the economy. You lose your job. You face eviction.

$600 for all your troubles.

Meanwhile they send:

$135 million to Burma
    $85.5 million to Cambodia
    $1.4 billion for "Asia Reassurance Initiative Act"
    $130 million to Nepal

They hate you. pic.twitter.com/95U2Qt4uNa
    — Techno Fog (@Techno_Fog) December 21, 2020
    BOMBS AWAY
    $4 billion for Navy weapons procurement, $2 billion for Space Force and $2 billion for Air Force missiles.
    $4 billion for Navy weapons procurement. pic.twitter.com/luzf8EPMwm
    — Walker Bragman (@WalkerBragman) December 21, 2020
    $2 billion for Space Force! pic.twitter.com/SBcSCKSIh4
    — Walker Bragman (@WalkerBragman) December 21, 2020
    BUREAUCRATIC BONANZA AND OTHER MALARKEY
    $208 million to upgrade the Census Bureau's computer systems (which couldn't have waited until the next count in 2030?).
    This is just a massive spending bill loaded with pork. Billions and billions to government agencies that received normal budget allocations this year. Vote them all out. https://t.co/6jKL9JmYkj
    — GW (@GregBW12) December 21, 2020
    $40 million for the Kennedy Center, and funding to discourage teenagers from drinking and hooking up.
    The Covid relief bill provides $40 million for the Kennedy Center pic.twitter.com/aHt8UEkYWA
    $193 million for federal HIV/AIDS workers to buy cars and car insurance overseas, and a feminist museum.
    The Covid relief bill includes $193 million for federal HIV/AIDS workers stationed abroad to buy new cars pic.twitter.com/y16iyK2aJF
    Funding for a commission to educate consumers "about the dangers associated with using or storing portable fuel containers for flammable liquids near an open flame." (What?)
    The Covid relief bill creates a commission tasked with educating “consumers about the dangers associated with using or storing portable fuel containers for flammable liquids near an open flame." pic.twitter.com/W3Qc6B7CRG
    Just remember, $600 is a significant amount...
    Dear @SpeakerPelosi
    You know what’s even better than giving us back our own money, pork to your friends, and astronomically increasing our debt?
    Opening up businesses and freedom. https://t.co/RFZdPu2mXm
    — 1776 Gwendolyn (@scvbuckeye) December 21, 2020

So many gems hidden in 5,000 pages of "Covid stimulas bill". This is both sides spending money they do not have, but giving YOU the debt to pay.

Publicerar du lite vänsterpropaganda Flobart?

Joe Biden praised the process by which the bill was passed, saying “I applaud the bipartisan Congressional economic relief package” and called it “a model for the challenging work ahead.”Something tells me he didn’t read the bill either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Bill is already passed by both houses. There's no more amending possible. They'd have to start the whole process over from scratch as a new bill. Gonna get that all that procedural who-ha done before the current Congress expires, and during Christmas week?
    I don't know. I expect they can keep the precise same bill and simply replace $600 with $2000 and pass it through the house with a single vote, and it could pass through the senate with a single vote.

Trump still, likely, wouldn't sign it.

I know how to pay for this all: Rescind all the tax cuts from Reagan through Trump.

I dont want him to sign it, even if we get 4k per adult The money leaving this country is retarded and needs to stop.

What's the big deal? Pass the $600 bill now, add another $1,400 in a separate bill, kick the tires, take it out for a test drive.

Deficit hawks can go shove there heads firmly up the nether parts of their anatomy. They had no issue with a bloated budget and tax breaks for the corporations and wealthy.

I am also in favor of a law that limits provisos in any given law to the actual subject at hand and not stick non-related riders onto a given bill. The money to Nepal might very well be justified ( who knows, certainly not me ), but it and its ilk have no place in a domestic COVID relief bill.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I love how deeply Trump shoved the knife into McTurtle's back!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post
    It’s really too bad his neighbor didn’t do a better job. A moronic quack who rode his dads name to a sinecure

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    I dont want him to sign it, even if we get 4k per adult The money leaving this country is retarded and needs to stop.
    the dumbest thing about this country is how when the money is going to people, people pretend to care and be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I am also in favor of a law that limits provisos in any given law to the actual subject at hand and not stick non-related riders onto a given bill. The money to Nepal might very well be justified ( who knows, certainly not me ), but it and its ilk have no place in a domestic COVID relief bill.
    Yes--I think that would be a huge improvement, and would stop the gaming of the system that legislators seem to think is what "politics" should be.

Support an idea, or oppose it. Take it to a vote. Majority rules. Don't like it? Vote for someone else next time around, someone who you think will vote the way you want them to vote. THAT is accountability.

Burying bills under a mountain of irrelevant addenda allows legislators to avoid clear accountability for the way they vote.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    the dumbest thing about this country is how when the money is going to the wrong people, people pretend to care and be offended.
    I think this modification would make your post more accurate!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Why is the debt never a problem when the rich get tax cuts, but when the rest of the people need something it's an obstacle.

Let's rescind all the tax cuts from Reagan, G.W., and Trump.

Then maybe we could have a serious Covid relief bill.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I think this modification would make your post more accurate!

Tom
    Nah, I meant it as “the people” broad and wide because any program that offers broad relief is shot down. The $600 checks are a tiny portion of the bill and far less total$ than yet another round of PPP welfare for the rich, but somehow the direct checks are what people object too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    What's the big deal? Pass the $600 bill now, add another $1,400 in a separate bill, kick the tires, take it out for a test drive.

Deficit hawks can go shove there heads firmly up the nether parts of their anatomy. They had no issue with a bloated budget and tax breaks for the corporations and wealthy.

This all works for me; no more poison pills

Why is the debt never a problem when the rich get tax cuts, but when the rest of the people need something it's an obstacle.

Let's rescind all the tax cuts from Reagan, G.W., and Trump.

Then maybe we could have a serious Covid relief bill.
    Because the debt is a smokescreen. The real motivation is a belief that the rich DESERVE to be rich and powerful, and that the poor DESERVE to be poor and disenfranchised. It's all right there in Atlas Shrugged, written in plain but turgid english.

Clarification: I am not attributing this belief specifically to sleek. His comment seems to fit the mold, but I don't know anything about what he personally thinks..

Good ole Ayn (on 2nd thought I'll take that handout) Rand.

Skip Shrugged!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

In the unlikely event that a new bill with $2000 checks manages to pass house and senate, what will be Trump's excuse for not signing it?

In the unlikely event that a new bill with $2000 checks manages to pass house and senate, what will be Trump's excuse for not signing it?
    Not enough gold leaf.

What are you talking about?

Uuuuhhhh, impeachment anyone.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Nah, I meant it as “the people” broad and wide because any program that offers broad relief is shot down. The $600 checks are a tiny portion of the bill and far less total$ than yet another round of PPP welfare for the rich, but somehow the direct checks are what people object too.
    I think I wasn't clear. That's what I meant, too--that no one objects to the huge amounts of $$$ that go to huge corporate subsidies that enrich the wealthy by billions, but protest a $600 payment to people who actually need it.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

It could be treated as a drafting error. They pass a bill correcting the $300 to $2000.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    What are you talking about?
    I'm saying all the out of country aid is like a man bleeding to death trying to donate plasma. Its retarded.

I'm saying all the out of country aid is like a man bleeding to death trying to donate plasma. Its retarded.
    You're under the impression that we're not trying to buy something with that foreign aid?

Math is not all that complex. We had HUGE WWII debt. We paid it off, funded the GI bill, and built the interstates. Top tax bracket was taxed at 90%. That rate came down as our debt was paid. 78% (I think) when we put men on the moon.

Reagan cut the top bracket tax rate to 35%, and, aside from a brief time at the end of Clinton's presidency, it's been rising ever since. G.W. gave the wealth two tax cuts and started two wars. Trump gave the wealthy another tax cut.

Taxes MUST equal spending, plus a bit to pay down the debt. Since you can't get blood from middle class stones, rescind all those tax cuts. Go back to the rates in place when we put those men on the moon.

So US debt problem is a function of foreign aid? Ok, cut Israel out. Ok?