Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.5 metre project

Few hundred kilometers from arctic circle: Finland

Default Re: 5.5 metre project

It really worked fine, not suitable for any larger boats though.

Surgery of transom continues. I made test transom from foam to check dimensions needed for transom frame. Then it was time to prebend wood to make laminating process easier. Not much to say this time, but here are few pictures.

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, that first try of transom frame didnt work out. It was OK, but not good enough so here goes new try. This time laminate is thinner to avoid hair cracks.

I also found supplier for high quality pine for deck frames. It is not easy to find quater sawn board which is sawn from slowly grown wood.

Some visible progress at last after lots of measuring. It is hard to make things right when you have just curved surfaces to all directions. Transom frame is now prefitted to hull, so I can start making 3 pairs of frames that were completely shot. Process of making these is easy, just take shape with soft copper pipe, draw line to masonite board, saw it, do fine fitting, make mould for laminating frame. After glue has dried it is just sanding and planing to make it fit properly.
    Gaps that are visible are there because of shape issues still left on hull. When I finally screw to frames they should disappear.

Great work! What a lucky boat to have come into the hands of someone who genuinely cares.

Trying to do my best. Lots of pressure as it is not easy to match original professional work of this boat as hobbyist.

Tale of frames continues. Tools of trade, FXA is finnish "Harbour freight" quality brand of tools so I managed to afford 3x of cordless drills. Useful now so I dont need to swap drillbits all the time. So far I have been impressed about quality of these cheap tools. They seem to be made from proper materials unlike green bosch which had plastic gears. If these last at least half what milwaukee did I will be buing more.
    I didnīt want to add extra load to bronze screws so I "pulled" frame to board with help of large washer and standard steel screw.
    I hope second pair goes faster, this was my first ever pair of frames so I would guess there is room for improvement.

One piece at the time. Takes lots of time to make fit of laminated frame good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertsa View Post
    One piece at the time. Takes lots of time to make fit of laminated frame good.
    It does.
    But there is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you have done a proper job.
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    Mike.