Thread: Fisheries Supply New Website

Default Fisheries Supply New Website

Seems MUCH better. Still in beta but looks good so far.

https://beta.fisheriessupply.com/?ut...3cf37-86925949

Default Re: Fisheries Supply New Website

Glad to see they're investing right now versus going out of business. We're pretty lucky in Seattle to have the locally-owned Fisheries and Seattle Marine. (They're locally owned, right?) West is alright, I don't mind them (they do a better job of overall merchandising the floor), but when you have Fisheries and Seattle Marine too you tend to get spoiled.

Bummer about Captain's though, who closed their physical store.

Edited to add: Captain's Nautical is still online.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 12-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.

Cool, now if they would just fix their actual point of sale system that would be even better! Checking out at fisheries (in store) is probably the slowest retail experience of any store I've been to.

Maybe if I wasn't there so often it wouldn't be such an issue....

Home Depot has one of the better services I've seen during the pandemic. I order online, then go to the store parking lot to pick up the item. I park in a numbered stall, text the # on the sign in front of my truck, and some kid runs the item out to the truck. I hope they keep this service post-pandemic. I would love if Fisheries did the same.
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Cool, now if they would just fix their actual point of sale system that would be even better! Checking out at fisheries (in store) is probably the slowest retail experience of any store I've been to.

Maybe if I wasn't there so often it wouldn't be such an issue....
    Agreed. Their checkout computers seem to be running at about a 1986 level. I seldom ask for a receipt because their printers take forever

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Glad to see they're investing right now versus going out of business. We're pretty lucky in Seattle to have the locally-owned Fisheries and Seattle Marine. (They're locally owned, right?) West is alright, I don't mind them (they do a better job of overall merchandising the floor), but when you have Fisheries and Seattle Marine too you tend to get spoiled.

Bummer about Captain's though, who closed their physical store.

Edited to add: Captain's Nautical is still online.

Fisheries is the largest chandlery on the West Coast, so I was told by an employee friend.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Home Depot has one of the better services I've seen during the pandemic. I order online, then go to the store parking lot to pick up the item. I park in a numbered stall, text the # on the sign in front of my truck, and some kid runs the item out to the truck. I hope they keep this service post-pandemic. I would love if Fisheries did the same.
    The guy that owns it (owned?) the place is a Trumper. Go to Lowes.

The guy that owns Fisheries is a very nice fellow...used to run into him. I don't know why the crew here use those fly-by-night mail order joints. Fisheries is set up to handle shipping easily, anywhere.

Sad thing is the absence of Doc Freemans...the best! Used to run into Frank Prothero there. Can't get any more authentic than that.

I have been a Fisheries customer for 45 years, they have not only been my go-to chandlery for just about anything I needed for the shop, but a real ally. Several times when the shop was in dire straits they stood by me and offered deferred payment terms on invoices to allow my cash flow to catch up. They knew we always had paid promptly, but their help was a big part of how my business survived a very dark time.
    We get 5 days a week delivery, and I can look up a missing invoice (usually ‘cuz I lost them)on their website. I can also see if the item I want is in stock, so can substitute if time is of the essence. I am on the website constantly and have not noticed a change.

...oh and Pat, I cannot fathom what “the owner is a Trumper” has to do with evaluating an important vendor for a boatshop?

I have been a Fisheries customer for 45 years, they have not only been my go-to chandlery for just about anything I needed for the shop, but a real ally. Several times when the shop was in dire straits they stood by me and offered deferred payment terms on invoices to allow my cash flow to catch up. They knew we always had paid promptly, but their help was a big part of how my business survived a very dark time.
    We get 5 days a week delivery, and I can look up a missing invoice (usually ‘cuz I lost them)on their website. I can also see if the item I want is in stock, so can substitute if time is of the essence. I am on the website constantly and have not noticed a change.

...oh and Pat, I cannot fathom what “the owner is a Trumper” has to do with evaluating an important vendor for a boatshop?

I tend to "vote with my dollars" too.

Fisheries supply gets a lot of my dollars. Free delivery to Port Townsend and fantastic service and inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Don't give money to businesses that you know support things you do not. It's not that complex. Pat's not wrong about Home Depot. Like Russell said, vote with your dollars. It's why I use a credit union versus a large multi-national bank. I do spend $$$ at Fisheries. We all want Fisheries to survive and be great. Well, I do. I think that's what this thread is about.

Now, should Pat stay off the forum for good and just leave us all alone? That's a fair debate to have.

I've been patronizing Fisheries Supply for 15 years and have built four boats with hardware and supplies mainly furnished from there. In most respects I give them high marks: knowledgeable and helpful floor staff, a vast catalog, and much better prices than WM.

However, I've noticed in the last couple of years (pre-COVID times included) that they don't seem to be taking as much care as they once did to maintain full inventory in their Seattle retail store. If I go in there with a list of 20 items there'll typically be only 15 of them on the shelves, 2 or 3 have to be fetched from the basement warehouse, and 2 or 3 more are entirely out of stock. This isn't the worst thing that's happening in the world right now, but it is an annoyance and is in contrast to the way Fisheries appeared to manage the store a few years back.

Fisheries staff seem to be long term employees that you can trust to know something. And given that huge basement warehouse, stock is not usually an issue, or they can order in not much time.

If you haven’t notice a change in the website, check the link in the OP above. It’s still in beta and they want feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    The guy that owns it (owned?) the place is a Trumper. Go to Lowes.
    I wish people would restrain themselves from hateful political jabs.
    I have no problems blocking haters....but at some point.......
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    " Fela " 1985 Glen L15 - 1977 Johnson 15 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    I wish people would restrain themselves from hateful political jabs.
    I have no problems blocking haters....but at some point.......
    I do not care to support evil.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/shop...-trump-2020-11

There is no such thing as Fisheries Supply anywhere in the south. Not even close. There's really no such thing as a chandlery here, or even a place with a selection of half decent brushes, abrasives, varnish, never mind the other items you need in this game. Damn straight you are lucky to have them. Fisheries and Harbor City (King St. for dim sum) are missed and remembered fondly. I remember you guys fondly too of course but you can't complete with pork shu mei or ready availability of useably decent cheap chip brushes.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

They ship.

The guy left the company (Home Depot) in 2002. Isn't 18 years without him long enough to let it go?

Also - because of how the thread displays, someone coming here & not reading each post carefully could get the impression that Fisheries Supply is owned by a Trumper. AFAIK, it's not, and even if it were, Paul Schweiss's story would have me supporting FS in a nanosecond. A company that will do that for a customer is to be treasured.

Being on the other coast, I'm not a regular customer (why ship cross-country when I can get it from 200 miles away?) - but I've shopped @ FS & been to their big outdoor sale. You folks in the PNW are very lucky to have them!
    Last edited by Garret; 12-20-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    There is no such thing as Fisheries Supply anywhere in the south. Not even close. There's really no such thing as a chandlery here, or even a place with a selection of half decent brushes, abrasives, varnish, never mind the other items you need in this game. Damn straight you are lucky to have them. Fisheries and Harbor City (King St. for dim sum) are missed and remembered fondly. I remember you guys fondly too of course but you can't complete with pork shu mei or ready availability of useably decent cheap chip brushes.
    There a few places for marine goods around here, due the port being located here. However, they don’t have retail locations and mostly deal with commercial accounts. They will deal with walk in customers. But that doesn’t help you in Nashville. On the East Coast, I’ve found that Jamestown, Defender and McMasterCarr are the best sources. Shipping costs and shipping times are becoming untenable from the West Coast.

Add Raka in Ft. Pierce FL to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    Add Raka in Ft. Pierce FL to that list.
    Good place. Hamilton in Maine also.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    . . .Paul Schweiss's story would have me supporting FS in a nanosecond. A company that will do that for a customer is to be treasured.

Being on the other coast, I'm not a regular customer (why ship cross-country when I can get it from 200 miles away?) - but I've shopped @ FS & been to their big outdoor sale. You folks in the PNW are very lucky to have them!
    Back in the 90s, a friend of mine need some bit of obscure hardware. In trying to get it, stumped

- Doc Freeman's
    - Seattle Ship Supply
    - Fisheries Supply
    - Ballard Hardware
    - Hardwick's

And was very proud of hisself - if they didn't have it, it likely doesn't exist. Of the shops on that list, only Fisheries and Ballard Hardware remain.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Fisheries is good, for commercial gear Seamar is hard to beat and Tacoma screw is the go to for fasteners. Of course if none of those places have it then Admirals Ship Supply probably does. At work we once needed a large amount of sheet lead and the only place in town that had it was Pacific Fisherman.

Doc Freemans was great. Clearly the most knowledgeable sales staff. Owned for many years by the Knutson/Freeman families.

Fisheries was an offspring of a an older firm, whose name I cannot recall. I always encouraged runabout owners to buy a cover for their boat: Not many owners have the ability to moor their boat in covered moorage/hoisted out of the water by the lifting eyes. I had a cover made at Ballard Canvas for a runabout I did. Evidently they were also related to that same company whose name I cannot remember. One of the owners showed me a book of sail plans which that original company produced. The captain of a sailing ship could pick out a particular sail required for the ship, send a message, and it would be waiting when they got to Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    They ship.
    I'm just saying that the south doesn't have the material resources available in Seattle.....even without Doc Freeman's.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I'm just saying that the south doesn't have the material resources available in Seattle.....even without Doc Freeman's.
    Probably no too many ski shops either, huh?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Fisheries used to be called The Crows Nest when I was a kid. Good store but no comparison to Doc Freeman’s. What a magical place that was.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Ballard Hardware is now called Ballard Industrial, though I think it's the same place. My gut is they renamed because too many homeowner / non-professionals were coming in chewing up too much of their time with questions better answered over at Stoneway Hardware.

Ballard Hardware is now called Ballard Industrial, though I think it's the same place. My gut is they renamed because too many homeowner / non-professionals were coming in chewing up too much of their time with questions better answered over at Stoneway Hardware.

But it's more industrial supplies now than hardware.

The umpteen buildings scattered up and down Ballard Avenue, stuffed with hardware that hadn't seen the light of day in years are gone.

Well, the buildings are still there, just full of well-heeled Amazonites and the boutiques that cater to them. It's the hardware that's gone.

There was that square multi story building that was the warehouse for Ballard Hardware...near the boatyard. I went in there once to retrieve some item from the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    But it's more industrial supplies now than hardware.

The umpteen buildings scattered up and down Ballard Avenue, stuffed with hardware that hadn't seen the light of day in years are gone.

Well, the buildings are still there, just full of well-heeled Amazonites and the boutiques that cater to them. It's the hardware that's gone.

There was that square multi story building that was the warehouse for Ballard Hardware...near the boatyard. I went in there once to retrieve some item from the inventory.

I just remember going there once, with a list of stuff that I needed. Walk in the front door. Old-school hardware store with a counter and not much else. There's a line, so I takes a number and waits.

My turn comes, and give the my list. And we're off! Up hill and down dale, to maybe 4 different buildings, as we collect everything I need.

Only places like that I ever been were Schlenker's Hardware in Ann Arbor, in business since 1886, and Aufdemkampe Hardware in Cincinnati, in business since forever (defunct c. 2003).

And E. Dehillerin, 1er, Paris. Cookware, Kitchenware and restaurant supplies since 1820. If they don't have it, you don't need it.

Old-school places like these don't make sense to modern MBA sensibilities, 'cause ya gots all this cash tied up in inventory that doesn't move.

But they are important in the sense of The Long Now -- somebody IS going need one of those bronze wozzits you've had sitting in back stock for the last 75 years.

These places are "the long tail" as the eCommerce types might say.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Fisheries used to be called The Crows Nest when I was a kid. Good store but no comparison to Doc Freeman’s. What a magical place that was.
    Crows Nest was just the retail store arm of Fisheries, they had quite a few locations in the PNW, but they were not particularly profitable. The Fisheries outside sales guy who called on me for years shocked me when he said that the boatshops were way more profitable than the stores. Fisheries made the decision to close all the Crows Nest Stores and have just the one Retail operation above the warehouse on Northlake. The original location was down on the Seattle waterfront before they made the move to Lake Union.

They actually looked into opening a northern warehouse to better serve Skagit, Whatcom and Snohomish, but ended up developing their delivery van service instead...anticipating today’s ‘curbside service’.

West Marine went retail, they are a terrible supplier for boat yards, and their pricing for identical items is anywhere from 15% to 30% higher than Fisheries. If I need a new t-shirt I might go into West...but otherwise a last resort.