Thread: Plans for long, skinny spoon blade oars

Default Plans for long, skinny spoon blade oars

Hello everyone,

I am looking for plans for 9 foot oars with long, skinny (4.5" to 5" wide) spoon blades. I am envisioning something like these Sawyer Gig Oars (photos taken from here):

I am considering starting with the free plans on Storer's website, then narrowing the blade. Before doing so, however, I thought I would check to see if folks on this forum have suggestions for other plans.

Thanks!

Default Re: Plans for long, skinny spoon blade oars

I would prefer to see more of a centre rib on the blade than those. They thin down a bit too abruptly for me.

I would use any design with the right proportions, and draw the blade edges in the spoon shape on the blank rather than straight, keeping the thickness as specified. Square tips will be easier to reinforce than those round ones.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Do you really need spoon?

Nice job Mr Amish.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

Some “spoon” blade oars I made. .
    Nice oars! How did you settle on the blade shape? If you followed a set of plans, can you point me to them? For example, here is what Storer presents in his plans:

Storer.png

Quote Originally Posted by MT Rower View Post
    Nice oars! How did you settle on the blade shape? If you followed a set of plans, can you point me to them? For example, here is what Storer presents in his plans:

Storer.png
    Oof. I actually “copied’ the curve in one of my double paddles. Haha. More or less. I can certainly go measure them and give a rough approximation of the shape of the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I actually “copied’ the curve in one of my double paddles. Haha.
    Ha! That is a great idea! I have a sea kayak paddle laying around somewhere in the garage that I can measure to spare you the trouble. I appreciate your offer!!

Copying works, I copied a set of borrowed Pocock oars for my home made blades. Did not quite get the tip curve right, but the oars seem fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Copying works, I copied a set of borrowed Pocock oars for my home made blades.
    Yeah, I may go with this route. I own a set of spoon blades for long-distance, flat-water rowing that fit in my composite whitewater oars (which are only 8 feet long). I paid a company to make them for me, using their proprietary design. In a sense, I have already paid for the rights to use the design. I am not convinced they're "the best" shape a long, skinny spoon blade can have, however. I am curious to see how others have shaped their spoons so I am fishing for free (or available for purchase) plans on this thread.

Once I settle on a design, I am going to laminate the blade using the method you described here. Thank you for posting your build notes!

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post

Do you really need spoon?
    Ha! Do I really need four wooden boats and three whitewater rafts split between MT and WA, either?

All joking aside, I find I get about a half knot boost using spoons compared to straight blades. On long trips, I tend to row about 10 to 14 hours a day, so the boost is occasionally worth the trouble. For my general day-to-day rowing, however, the answer is "not really."

spoon blade orientation.jpg Since you have done so much thinking about oars, I'd like to take advantage of your expertise. Would you orient the spoon so that the curve of the spoon is in line with the shaft, or would you have the curve canted aft? See photo. I'm also wanting to carve some oars. I have seen it done both ways. I like the blade being in line with the shaft from experience. It seems to cause less flutter. But I'd like to know what you think.

Hi there -

I made hollow shaft oars for my Annapolis Wherry and published the plans in Messing About in Boats many years ago. It's out of print but I can send a PDF of the article to anyone who wants them. PM me if you want a copy with an email address and I'll send them along.

Hollow bird's mouth shaft tapering from round at the handle to oval to blend in with the blade. Let me know.

Joel Herzel

Quote Originally Posted by joe carpenter View Post
    Hi there -

I made hollow shaft oars for my Annapolis Wherry and published the plans in Messing About in Boats many years ago. It's out of print but I can send a PDF of the article to anyone who wants them. PM me if you want a copy with an email address and I'll send them along.

Hollow bird's mouth shaft tapering from round at the handle to oval to blend in with the blade. Let me know.

Joel Herzel
    Thanks for the offer.
    We have a page for that
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdis...erence-Threads

You could post them there if you want.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by joe carpenter View Post
    Hi there -

Joel Herzel
    Thank you Joel!! I have a copy of your pdf (via another forumite). I am very interested in building a set of oars using your method. That being said, I got distracted with Andy Steever's book and am currently headed in the opposite direction of my initial post... BUT! Having finally settled on a boat I like (a Gartside Coastal Rowboat), I am now moving on to optimizing the oars. I intend to build a set of birdsmouth-shaft oars with long, skinny spoons sometime in the next year or two.