Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Brexit - the never ending tale

Default Re: Brexit - the never ending tale

Swedish post holds goods from outside the EU to ransom till fees are paid. Expecting other countries to register to another nations taxation AND pay a fee for their benefit is really something.

People who were buying goods online in Germany with cheaper VAT "paid in EU", will now have to pay UK rate and any additional "import duties". Apparently Brexit is good for global trade was a selling point.....for who?

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post
    Apparently Brexit is good for global trade was a selling point.....for who?
    You are assuming that they thought it through? Just like they thought through the Irish Border and Good Friday Agreement.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    You are assuming that they thought it through? Just like they thought through the Irish Border and Good Friday Agreement.
    No, i am just repeating what they said was a good reason for Brexit. Nice to know those born in Northern Ireland and those living in Gibraltar still retain the "right of free movement". So much for the "union" when different laws apply, some might find that discriminatory.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I have been buying musical instruments from a German online store (Thomann) for quite a few years. I have been considering buying a flute, so I checked their website. As usual, they had the instrument I want at a much lower price than UK vendors, and they offer free delivery. Then it occurred to me, what about import duty? Surely that will be a thing now?
    There is no import duty on all goods bought from the EU until 2022. That's because we have a no tariffs no quota deal, and the declaration of origin is suspended this year. However the UK is not in the single market anymore, all imported goods have to pay british VAT. The UK has decreted that VAT is to be collected by the seller, so either the seller registers for VAT in the UK, or he carrier handles he paperwork fo a fee.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-...mers-in-the-uk

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post
    No, i am just repeating what they said was a good reason for Brexit. Nice to know those born in Northern Ireland and those living in Gibraltar still retain the "right of free movement". So much for the "union" when different laws apply, some might find that discriminatory.
    Well, Gibraltar could not function without an open border.
    As to Norn Iron, they insist on being in the Union and being BRITISH, until the UK passes laws that they don't like, then they want to be exempt.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

^ briliant idea. Most foreign (small) firms will give the UK the Rockefeller Gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    ^ briliant idea. Most foreign (small) firms will give the UK the Rockefeller Gesture.
    As I mentioned (I think in another thread) a friend in the Netherlands has stopped doing business with anyone in the UK because of this.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    There is no import duty on all goods bought from the EU until 2022. That's because we have a no tariffs no quota deal, and the declaration of origin is suspended this year. However the UK is not in the single market anymore, all imported goods have to pay british VAT. The UK has decreted that VAT is to be collected by the seller, so either the seller registers for VAT in the UK, or he carrier handles he paperwork fo a fee.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-...mers-in-the-uk
    Thanks for the info
    Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Thanks for the info
    You're welcome. Unfortunately it will not change the fact that many EU businesses will simply refuse to ship to the UK. Today some still don't know the rules, and next year declarations of origin will be required, meaning Thomann has to declare where the item is made, since only EU made goods are excepted from duty. To be considered EU (or UK for the other direction) made there are rules specifying how much material and value has to be added, it's not as simple as stating "Made in the XXX" on the label.

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Johnson's lies become obvious.

Ministers must restart trade negotiations with Brussels immediately to sort out the “baffling” array of post-Brexit rules and regulations that now threaten much of the UK’s export trade to the EU, leading business groups have said.

Amid mounting anger among UK firms at cross-border friction they were told would not exist, British manufacturing and trade organisations met Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove in an emergency session on Thursday to discuss problems resulting from the deal struck by Boris Johnson with the EU before Christmas.

The prime minister had hailed what he claimed was a “zero-tariff” and “zero-quotas” deal that would allow free and simple access to the single market. Less than a month on, however, Britain’s EU departure appears to be anything but pain-free.

One leading figure involved in the talks with Gove described the new rule book as a “complete ****show”. Another said Gove seemed “very concerned” at hearing reports of problems, after a week in which Marks & Spencer was among leading companies to warn that more bureaucracy would increase costs. The source added: “He [Gove] seemed to realise the full gravity of the situation that is unfolding and about to get worse.”
    [...]

Stephen Kelly, chief executive of the Northern Ireland business organisation Manufacturing NI, said: “The reason why the UK and EU originally agreed that there would be an implementation period of 11 months was so that people could get their heads around what was needed and assure their businesses were compliant. But we didn’t have that. We had seven days before everyone had to be ready, and one of those was Christmas Day.

“There is a big problem with GB businesses being unaware of their new responsibilities. We have the triple whammy here of Covid, Christmas and new customs rules arriving all at once without any time to adjust.”

Johnson assured Northern Ireland business owners in November 2019 that they would have “unfettered access” to the rest of the UK. “There will be no forms, no checks, no barriers of any kind,” he said. If anyone told them they needed to fill in forms, “tell them to ring up the PM and I will direct them to throw that form in the bin.”
    [...]
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/10/baffling-brexit-rules-threaten-export-chaos-gove-is-warned

Gruß, Günter

I think Johnson might be directed to throw himself in the bin if anyone in NI rings him!