Thread: Want a BMW R90S?

Default Want a BMW R90S?

Well... would you be satisfied with a plastic model kit of the engine?

US$ 39.99 - BMW Flat-twin engine R 90 S200 part kit, scale 1:2 - www.miuxo.com
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Want a BMW R90S?

What a great Xmas present for that special someone! Just ordered 2, since I'm special too....
    Thanks!
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Nice. Thanks Norm!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Might as well get the Lego GS, too.

D02E8B0D-EA71-4F0F-989B-5E178DA1E5C0.jpg

When I was 10 or 11, my dad helped me built a clear plastic Wankel engine model that would go round and round via a small electric motor when you pressed a switch.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

JFC! It's not a "flat" twin, it's a "boxer" twin. Flat would have both pistons reciprocating in the same directions simultaneously. Boxers have the pistons going in opposite directions to provide perfect primary and secondary balance. On small engines, it's almost always a boxer. On some large engines like a 12 cylinder, you often have a flat-12 because there is enough cylinders and polar moment to balance things out, and a flat allows using only 6 connecting rod journals on the crank instead of 12 (the latter of which, adjacent journals in a pair would be 180 degrees apart, joined by skinny sections of steel, so more complex to build). Ferraris like the Testarossa (mid engine) and Berlinetta Boxer used flat-12s. From wiki:

Unlike most flat-twin, flat-four and flat-six engines, flat-twelve engines typically use the crankshaft configuration of a 180° V engine instead of a boxer engine. Therefore most flat-twelve engines have each pair of pistons sharing a crankpin, instead of the boxer design of each piston having its own crankpin.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Was going to flog the old BMW exhaust wrench I still have.
    Having second thoughts now.
    basil

Somewhere on the internet is a pic of an R90 with an aluminum canteen used as a valve cover. Still had the screw top on it. Field repair.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Like the old Invisible Man plastic model from the 1950s. Revell? Renwal?
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

Never had an R90s. Did have one of these. One of my favorite bikes.

E37F9CED-AAEF-4F1D-B404-30F1101B4217.jpg

88 R100RS. Upgraded suspension. Semi floating front rotors. Uprated alternator. Bi-xenon headlight. Sergeant saddle.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Did anyone successfully order one of these R90 engine kits? The same kit sells for $229 on Amazon, and some of the other items on the Muixo website seem kind of sketchy.

Current Muixo price is down to $29.99. https://www.miuxo.com/BMW-Flat-twin-...-p1314779.html

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    I might be a buyer for that - an old friend died recently and I've inherited my old bike back!
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I might be a buyer for that - an old friend died recently and I've inherited my old bike back!
    tell us about the friend
    and the bike
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Those are worth money.

Having sold my noble R60/7 a couple of years ago I am now regretting it and thinking of another one. It was the nicest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Not the fastest, or the smoothest, or the lightest, but the ​nicest.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    tell us about the friend
    and the bike
    The friend was Graham - I first met him in early '81 - we both rode bikes he had a background in white water racing and I in Slalom - he designed and built industrial robots I was in software but with a background in electronics - so we had a lot in common - similar tastes in beer and music.

Spent a lot of time together - he introduced me to the woman I subsequently married.

Dicking about in an old C2
    C2_Graham.jpg

He was a prt of the group that went to the I.O.M. - and I was "Best Man" at his first wedding.

The bike is my old R75/7 - I out over 100K miles on it before stopping riding while raising kids.....
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I had a schoolmaster who rode to school on an R90S. And was the expert on the painter George Stubbs. He was extremely cool.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Never had an R90s. Did have one of these. One of my favorite bikes.

E37F9CED-AAEF-4F1D-B404-30F1101B4217.jpg

88 R100RS. Upgraded suspension. Semi floating front rotors. Uprated alternator. Bi-xenon headlight. Sergeant saddle.
    very sensible upgrades.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    very sensible upgrades.
    Thanks, and I also had a 60/7. It’s the one bike I truly regret selling.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

My cousin has restored the R90S he's had since new………. but he'll never ride it again now.
    So it's for sale

The bike is my old R75/7 - I out over 100K miles on it before stopping riding while raising kids.....
    My first BMW was an R75/7. Bought used from a multi-Japanese-brand shop. They weren't even sure where the ignition key went, but I was smitten and the price was right. BMW luggage, crashbars and a Luftmiester fairing, not what any self-respecting 23 year old should have wanted but like i said, smitten. I was looking for an HD FLH at the time but one of those was way out of my scenic carpenter budget, that beemer brought me a lot of joy over the years so looking back I wouldn't change a thing.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Dicking about in an old C2
    C2_Graham.jpg

i've spent some time in two man slalom
    ridiculously easy white water boats
    a ridiculously competitive sport though and ridiculously hard to eek out those last few tenths

sorry for the loss of your very close friend
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

My first BMW was a '70 R75/5. Interesting bike and great on the highway and rural roads. The leading shoe brake on the front left a lot to be desired--- for example, it won't work when the bike is rolling backwards. The engine was tired and drank oil by the pint. I should it after about two years and bought a '78 R100/7 with a Luftmeister fairing with lowers. Rode that for about 6 years when branched in to K-bikes. I still a boxer R100R with a Ural sidecar
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My first BMW was a '70 R75/5. Interesting bike and great on the highway and rural roads. The leading shoe brake on the front left a lot to be desired--- for example, it won't work when the bike is rolling backwards. The engine was tired and drank oil by the pint. I should it after about two years and bought a '78 R100/7 with a Luftmeister fairing with lowers. Rode that for about 6 years when branched in to K-bikes. I still a boxer R100R with a Ural sidecar

I too have a R75/5, mine is a 1973 LWB. I know what you mean about the front brake. I drive carefully and try to keep extra distance for stopping in mind. I love the sound of these classic airheads clicking along at about 4,000 RPM.

I think of /5 brakes as if they were 10 speed brake. I also view them as primitive ABS brakes because there ain't no way you'll ever lock them up
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I had an R90S. Two of them, actually. They had a high speed weave, a very stiff clutch and mediocre brakes. The pumper carbs could be problematic as they aged although any R90S without them today (many were swapped out) is worth less as a result.

I sold my last R90S about 15 years ago because I wasn't riding it. That was because by modern standards, it wasn't that great to ride. It was nice to look at though.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 12-29-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Did anyone successfully order one of these R90 engine kits? The same kit sells for $229 on Amazon, and some of the other items on the Muixo website seem kind of sketchy.
    I successfully "ordered" but have not successfully "received". I'm in email contact with the seller who assures me they will ship soon, whatever that means...
    Does not​ give me a happy feeling....
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
    I successfully "ordered" but have not successfully "received". I'm in email contact with the seller who assures me they will ship soon, whatever that means...
    Does not​ give me a happy feeling....
    Bad news: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/miuxo.com

My son ordered one from this website: https://www.tsunshop.com/BMW-Flat-tw...-p1319729.html
    It looks like a mirror image of the Miuxo website.

He's still waiting and hasn't had any response from them. You might want to dispute your credit card charge while you still can.

It looks like the real deal is available on Amazon, but at many times the price of the scam sites

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I had a schoolmaster who rode to school on an R90S. And was the expert on the painter George Stubbs. He was extremely cool.
    I do like that British thing of being an expert in a field unrelated to ones occupation. A certain ophthalmologist named Harrison Butler comes to mind.
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I do like that British thing of being an expert in a field unrelated to ones occupation. A certain ophthalmologist named Harrison Butler comes to mind.
    I forgot to mention that Terence Doherty taught History of Art for fun - his day job was teaching Biology!

Claud Worth - ophthalmic surgeon
    Harrison Butler - ophthalmologist
    Eric Hiscock - thrown out of the Navy for being absurdly short sighted...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT