Thread: Community

Default Community

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I visited our favourite spot on the nearby river. There had been a massive log jam there with a little gap to swim through and a deep private pool on the other side that other people didn't seem to notice was there. It was "our" spot. Recent big floods have blasted the log jam out and opened up that section of the river.
    We went back yesterday evening with the hope of catching a fish- easterly wind so not going to happen- and discovered on the back side of the rocks where the log jam had been, a number of very neatly carved names in the stone. My wife took a couple of photos with her 'phone and uploaded them to the local community web site when we returned home, asking if anybody knew the people- and keeping in mind that it's been a popular swimming area for at least a hundred years.
    This morning she was shocked at the interest it's generated. At least sixty responses, including from a couple who have been married for thirty seven years and added their inscription decades ago. Their sons name was also there and he passed away in his teens. There were also a number of names so eroded by flood waters as to be no longer legible- those must have been there for a very long time. Anyway, this little town prides itself on it's community spirit. I thought this was a nice example of folks getting excited about something from the past that they could sink their teeth into Apologies for once again being so long winded- I know I make a habit of it. JayInOz

Default Re: Community

That's nice Jay. A sense of community in real terms.
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

I like reading stuff like this. Thank you for sharing!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Great story - thank you. Not long winded at all!

Back in the 70's there was a local swimming hole that the whole "neighborhood" used to frequent. On a hot summer day, you'd find 10-15 of us (hey - small village) down there. One day we were hanging out (no suits of course) & Libby, a woman about 45 at the time (while the rest of us were in our 20's) who'd had 7 kids & was 50 lbs overweight started laughing. She got up, wandered into the woods 50 ft or so, then came back, as 2 guys disappeared back up towards the road.

What was that about we asked. "No big deal - I just pointed out to them that they'd catch more fish if they put some line in their fishing poles"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Very good! Thanks for sharing!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Nice stories about home and friends can never be too long-winded, Jay. Thanks for telling the tale.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Great little tale. Thanks.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

For some years now our street has had a monthly 'fish and chip night', usually friday evening. With distancing and some promenading it has continued as long as it was not actually raining. Of course that is not the limit of the menu, tomorrow it's finger food and drinks under our grape arbour, Being outside we can perobably effectively distance 50 couples or so.

Just a little update The interest in the pictures my wife posted on a local site was a real surprise and generated a lot of conversation and reminiscing from the locals. And then the local paper picked up the story too! The result has been that almost all the names on the rock have been accounted for- who they were, where they lived and when. It's been fun JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Just a little update The interest in the pictures my wife posted on a local site was a real surprise and generated a lot of conversation and reminiscing from the locals. And then the local paper picked up the story too! The result has been that almost all the names on the rock have been accounted for- who they were, where they lived and when. It's been fun JayInOz
    That is really cool!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green