Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: must love the french

Default must love the french

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: must love the french

All the French? Or, just a few?

I always wanted a French one. Aside from the forbidden Eastern European ones, the French cars are the ones that have managed to escape my grasp. I would love a Quatrelle
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I do love Gitanes

I only watched the beginning of the video but that racetrack looks like someone's garden. Watching F1 this past weekend in Bahrain, even with proper guardrails there was a horrific crash, driver saved by car safety systems, but that Armco has gotta go in my opinion. In fact, I thought it had been eliminated from F1 tracks ages ago.

Regarding French cars, years ago:
    (me, imitating Ray Magliozzi from Car Talk): Never buy a French car, unless you live in FRANCE.
    (co-worker, Hungarian): No no no, French car, eez VERY good car.

Generally, good and creative engineering. Expected, France has plenty of engineering in defense industries. But for cars, in the past, not enough development (durability) and poor parts support in the USA. They may have improved by now.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I'm almost ashamed to state that I watched that entire video, just cause it sounded so good...

Almost.

Jeff C

[QUOTE=Bob (oh, THAT Bob). Watching F1 this past weekend in Bahrain, even with proper guardrails there was a horrific crash, driver saved by car safety systems, but that Armco has gotta go in my opinion. .[/QUOTE]

They should copy the safety fencing used in the Isle Of Man TT- lots of big trees and stone walls and buildings. Apparently it helps with concentration

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    I only watched the beginning of the video but that racetrack looks like someone's garden. Watching F1 this past weekend in Bahrain, even with proper guardrails there was a horrific crash, driver saved by car safety systems, but that Armco has gotta go in my opinion. In fact, I thought it had been eliminated from F1 tracks ages ago.

Regarding French cars, years ago:
    (me, imitating Ray Magliozzi from Car Talk): Never buy a French car, unless you live in FRANCE.
    (co-worker, Hungarian): No no no, French car, eez VERY good car.

Generally, good and creative engineering. Expected, France has plenty of engineering in defense industries. But for cars, in the past, not enough development (durability) and poor parts support in the USA. They may have improved by now.
    I bought a Renault 16TS direct from ther factory in France. After a week or two of preliminaries and paying upfront picked up by a bus early, in the faactory shown my body shell, confirmed my options (a formality). A tour, visited paint and upholstery shops, lunch, car pointed out on the line. By days end car handed over at factory gate with provisional rego I think.
    Dusalier electrics, Michelin XAS tyres, 150 watt driving lights..…. don't remember other stuff but it was a very good car! front wheel drive took some adjustment on ice and frost though…..Versions exported to Aus had Lucas electrics….

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    They should copy the safety fencing used in the Isle Of Man TT- lots of big trees and stone walls and buildings. Apparently it helps with concentration
    In other words, rally courses. Which is why rally drivers tend to use a different technique in corners, allowing for more defense if things don't go as planned. But since F1 has improved safety, world rally is probably the most hazardous car races currently; Just flying down unfamiliar two-lanes with no guardrails or nearby track marshals. And often spectators on the outside of turns, inches from death.

Matra's main business is missiles and 'defence stuff'. But they also buiit the Renault Espaces, when they had a plastic shell. Renault took over when it went to a steel monocoque with the Mk 4.

I'll stick with the Cadillac Allard for sound, for looks, for everything.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A&&FORM=VDRVRV

I really enjoyed seeing the inboard discs glowing red as the cars went through the right hander.I really wish somebody would explain to current stylists why keeping weight out of the unsprung,rotating assemblies is a good idea.I'm more than a little bored with gigantic wheels appearing at each corner,one flywheel per car should be enough.

My only experiences with French cars - Bridgit's Renault 5 that had been to Mars and back, couldn't fill the tank more than half way or the fuel would leak out of the sender hole into the foam of the rear seat, new sender and gasket couldn't seal it. In the end the head gasket went and it was traded in for the Nissan Micra I drove on the Mulsanne Straight.

Also, a Citroen AX I took for a test drive, scariest drive ever. The suspension had no damping and the brakes were beyond weak, made the unassisted brakes in my Mk.1 Polo seem sharp. A mate at uni had a 2CV though, that seemed fun but I never got to drive it.

One of Matra's other efforts, provided inspiration for the 1st gen Land Rover Discovery.

'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

When I bought the Renault I had gone to France to buy a 2CV. Never happened.

Since many love to bash french cars, I loved the 2 Peugeot 505s I owned & the 405MI16 was a lot of fun - though lacking in space for me. The old 504 diesels were tanks in the same vein as 122 Volvos.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Actually, speaking of Pugs, my neighbour in the UK had an old 2.9l V6 505 he bought for towing the caravan. He was seriously impressed with its robustness and being maintenance manager for his companies 150 Transit vans and 100 or so rep cars, knew enough to give a considered opinion.

And as a kid, we often got a burgundy 504 as a courtesy car when the Austin Maxi was in the workshop, again. Can't remember much about it apart from the horrible colour, funny smell, and it worked all the time, which the Maxi didn't.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    Actually, speaking of Pugs, my neighbour in the UK had an old 2.9l V6 505 he bought for towing the caravan. He was seriously impressed with its robustness and being maintenance manager for his companies 150 Transit vans and 100 or so rep cars, knew enough to give a considered opinion.

And as a kid, we often got a burgundy 504 as a courtesy car when the Austin Maxi was in the workshop, again. Can't remember much about it apart from the horrible colour, funny smell, and it worked all the time, which the Maxi didn't.
    Ha - the 2.9 was shared with Volvo & was probably the least reliable motor the every put in a car. DeLorean used it as well.

He must have got lucky then, because that thing was abused.

His wife's car was one of the ex-company sales rep cars, probably 3 or 4 years old. Dave used to drain the oil out of that and put the used oil in the 505 before giving the Mondeo fresh oil. Carried on like that for a few years until another batch of rep cars were released, one of which he purchased for his wife and then he took over the now older Mondeo. I'm pretty sure he sold the Pug as a going concern, and someone came and drove it away.

It wasn't that Dave was tight, he was just careful. I know he was pretty young when he paid his mortgage off so he was doing something right.

He must have got lucky then, because that thing was abused.

His wife's car was one of the ex-company sales rep cars, probably 3 or 4 years old. Dave used to drain the oil out of that and put the used oil in the 505 before giving the Mondeo fresh oil. Carried on like that for a few years until another batch of rep cars were released, one of which he purchased for his wife and then he took over the now older Mondeo. I'm pretty sure he sold the Pug as a going concern, and someone came and drove it away.

It wasn't that Dave was tight, he was just careful. I know he was pretty young when he paid his mortgage off so he was doing something right.
    I have a friend who used to buy used brake pads. He would literally go to the salvage yard & pull the pads out of a car to save $10 over the cost of new (Him: Hey! Half price! Me: Yeah but what about the 20 min. drive each way & your time...)

In years gone by I had a string of Peugeots, one 403, several 404's and one 504.
    My favourite Peugeot story is from when I took my 404 to visit a guy I knew up in the back country hills of the Hokianga, fording several creeks on the way. I asked if he got many visitors being so far off the beaten track. His reply was: "Occaisionally someone driving a tractor".
    They lost some of their appeal to me when they went to front wheel drive, even though by all accounts they were still drivers cars.
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

The 205 certainly has a bit of a cult following, mainly because of the 1,9 GTi and Rallye models, but I think styling wise they lost the plot about then. The 306 looked good when it was new (certainly better than the 309 it replaced) but it's been all downhill since then.

Just remembered, my aunt always had Citroens after her Mk1 Cortina. She had a GSA, then a CX and the last one was a red diesel BX that seemed to go on forever, finally replaced by a Skoda Octavia because she didn't like the newer Citroen models.

I drove my Mom's Simca 1200 hatchback around in the early '70's, does that count?
    Last edited by Dave Gray; 12-04-2020 at 02:13 PM.

The Citroen C5 Aircross has Paris-Dakar developed dampers in it. Holes in the damper that fluid moves through sideways allow alot of suppleness in the middle then a strong ramp up. Supposed to be really comfortable, but not been in one.

I'm about to build a Lotus 7 type up, it turns out Citroen specced some steel look but made of aluminium wheels on their C5 in the 2001-5 version Mk1. They look like steelies but are mental light. As light as the best superleggera's and fully TUV tested etc. Found a set, going to spray titanium to look like the old Jaguar D-types's (they were £500 a pop). Only Citroen would have done that.

Long ago the great and much missed LJK Setright got very lyrical about the elegance of the plain steel wheels of the CX.

this is the French car I want:

Renault Quatrelle. It's weird, it's slow, and I want one.

maxresdefault.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    this is the French car I want:

Renault Quatrelle. It's weird, it's slow, and I want one.

maxresdefault.jpg
    I was wondering what model you where refering to.. It is a 4L as in Quatre L. I havr had 12 of them over the years, starting with a three speed 750 and moving on to 850s and 1100s. Last was a 1400 home grown job. Quite a few daily drivers about here and I still hanker after the Plein Air jeep version.

Here: https://www.google.fr/search?sxsrf=A...sclient=psy-ab
    Last edited by Andrew2; 12-05-2020 at 01:31 AM.

The 205 certainly has a bit of a cult following, mainly because of the 1,9 GTi and Rallye models, but I think styling wise they lost the plot about then. The 306 looked good when it was new (certainly better than the 309 it replaced) but it's been all downhill since then.

Just remembered, my aunt always had Citroens after her Mk1 Cortina. She had a GSA, then a CX and the last one was a red diesel BX that seemed to go on forever, finally replaced by a Skoda Octavia because she didn't like the newer Citroen models.
    I hired a 205 in Inverness with some Aussie guy back in 91, did a high speed tour down Loch Ness, across on the ferry to Skye, did haggis and chips, blasted around the island, back across Scotland the next day. We stopped at some pub in the middle of nowhere, there was a Kiwi behind the bar! After a couple too many, I think we stayed the night. Next day, on to Carbisdale Castle (a youth hostel, at least it was back then), the Glenfiddich distillery, then a high speed run back to Inverness to drop the car off. We were running a bit late, sitting on about 80mph, when a police car goes tooling past. F##k thinks I, a speeding ticket was incompatible with a backpacker budget, the rental had been a big call in the first place. The cop disappeared into the distance without stopping, and we dropped the car off a half hour late. Had to endure getting a new one torn by the rental operator, as the next customer was waiting! Oops.
    Anyway, the pug was faultless and a lot of fun to drive. I've never been tempted to buy one though - seen to many horror stories with them.

Pete

Far ahead of it's time technically, I'd love to have a DS. Something of a classic these days with prices to match. A beautifull piece of sculpure. They're still very striking when you see one on the road.

50 year old interior looks like any modern Audi.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 12-05-2020 at 04:55 AM.

I used to have a couple of mid-engined sports Matras- sadly they were only 4 cylinder, not 12.
    This is the Murena; the Bagheera that preceded it was an absolute rot-box.
    At least the Murena's steel bodyshell (behind the plastic cladding) was galvanized.

Talbot_Matra_Murena_Front.jpg
    The Bagheera looked like this:

talbot-matra-bagheera-x-[15661].jpg
    Last edited by birlinn; 12-05-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Far ahead of it's time technically, I'd love to have a DS. Something of a classic these days with prices to match. A beautifull piece of sculpure. They're still very striking when you see one on the road.

50 year old interior looks like any modern Audi.

Oh, hell yes! Twice on Sundays.

0FC97FF9-5319-488D-B7C4-19309EB02597.jpg
    I like this French car. I wouldn’t kick a boat tail Quadrillette out of the garage, either.

Think of it, DS, pronounced, means Goddess in French

I miss my PX 10. IMG_8261.JPG

Jeff C

I used to drive a Citrôen D Special5 in Portugal occasionally. Great on the rough roads. Down there they called them 'Boco de Sapo' Frogs mouth....
    Friend's father in UK had two drophead DSs, out of sight pricewise now, wanted a third, but seatbelts weren't to UK spec, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Since many love to bash french cars, I loved the 2 Peugeot 505s I owned & the 405MI16 was a lot of fun - though lacking in space for me. The old 504 diesels were tanks in the same vein as 122 Volvos.
    Never owned one but heard that old Peugeots were relatively durable, at least the suspension was reasonably stout, and popular in some African countries for that reason.

The 405 had clean crisp lines and a low drag coefficient, available with AWD, and some relatively hot engines for the time, though the most powerful were not available in the USA. And there were victories in the Pikes Peak hillclimb in '88 and '89, however looking now, I see that was for mid-engine race specials, not the same front engine chassis (I'm surprised I never knew this, I thought they were just hopped-up production cars). But by the early '90s, Peugeot's presence in the USA was a shadow of decades past, and getting parts and service support was difficult if you didn't live near a dealer.