How long before small engines go electric?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom from Rubicon
    • Nov 2009

Re: How long before small engines go electric?

The 56v EGO tools are a game changer. Strong, last long, and recharge very fast. Caveat. one battery pack fell less than 2 feet. Will not take a full charge and as expected, cannot duty cycle like an unshocked battery pack. Local Ace offers mowers and throwers beside the hand held tools. EGO also offers commercial power packages that I don't need. I wish EGO offered a cordless drill. I have had enough work experience on my two acres.
    Tom

Comment

• Breakaway
      • Mar 2007

I have three to do my yard. Even though they were expensive to buy, I only need to charge them once a week and I never need to buy gas, transport gas, and put gas into my mower and weedwacker. That is a serious win in my opinion. Again, if I had gone 80v, I probably only would have needed two, the one that came with the mower and the one that came with the weedwacker
      I'm thinking a snowblower would require larger, more powerful, more expensive batteries ( or work for shorter periods) because a snowblower works harder than a mower or a trimmer, generally. But,for reference, how much are spare Li-On batteries for your equipment, roughly? ( Can't find lawnmower batts separate on Google in a general search)

Kevin
      There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
        That Richard Guy
        • May 2010

Originally posted by Tom from Rubicon
        The 56v EGO tools are a game changer. Strong, last long, and recharge very fast. Caveat. one battery pack fell less than 2 feet. Will not take a full charge and as expected, cannot duty cycle like an unshocked battery pack. Local Ace offers mowers and throwers beside the hand held tools. EGO also offers commercial power packages that I don't need. I wish EGO offered a cordless drill. I have had enough work experience on my two acres.
        Tom
        It sounds something has most certainly been damaged. Personally, I'd not be using that battery until I had it repaired on the off chance that it might short out or incur further damage.

Comment

• Art Haberland
          Fluent in Typo
          • May 2015

yea, I would take that battery out of service and see if you can get it repaired or replaced.
          "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• elf
            opinionated crone
            • Sep 2006

I bought an eGo mower this year. I hate having to do maintenance on small gas motors, and it used to cost me $100 plus all the mess of loading the mower into and out of the car at least 3 times every summer just to make it work for me. My new electric battery powered mower is wonderful. It vacuums up all the damn maple leaves, crumbles them into compostible size and I can dump the bag wherever I need to kill weeds. The battery, whatever size it is, would do the whole lawn if I needed it to, but I rarely want to spend that much time walking behind it.

So half a lawn for 45 minutes one day, another half another day.

The whole concept of blowing leaves is environmentally unsound. Either leave them where they fell or chip them up enough so they break down fast or so you can compost them. If you've got enough RE to fuss with leaves, you should be composting.
            A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
            And other things, too.

http://www.landsedgephoto.photodeck.com

Comment

• john welsford
              • Sep 2002

[QUOTE=David G;6333362]Interesting. Brands?

Greenworks.

John Welsford
              An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• Art Haberland
                Fluent in Typo
                • May 2015

I believe that Greenworks makes the Kobalt stuff for Lowes.
                "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• epoxyboy
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Stiletto
                  My son is an electrician, and he tells me that all the younger carpenters on building sites he visits have pretty much all gone cordless, even for largeish things like mitre saws.

I know that before I retired the only time I got out my corded drill was if I had lots of concrete drilling to do.
                  Our truck mechanic son is the same - air driven rattle guns etc have gone the way of the dodo, replaced by cordless. His brand of choice is Makita, he reckons the reliability is far better than DeWalt and Milwaukee in a commercial workshop environment.

Pete
                  The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Comment

• Art Haberland
                    Fluent in Typo
                    • May 2015

well yes. The Electric impact guns and wrenches are just as powerful as the air powered, but without the hoses that always seem to get in the way. I think they are also quieter. SnapOn must be having a fit!

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                      Flâneur • Seattle
                      • Feb 2001

We've got a Black & Decker cordless electric mower. It's an older one, with lead-acid batteries, but it will do our yard and both neighbors' yards without breathing hard.

And I picked up a Milwaukee M18 cordless weed eater. Came with a gonzo M18 battery. If I put it in a drill, I could run it for prolly 8 hours straight.
                      “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                      — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• Breakaway
                        • Mar 2007

The Electric impact guns and wrenches are just as powerful as the air powered, but without the hoses that always seem to get in the way. I think they are also quieter. SnapOn must be having a fit!
                        Air tool are also smaller and lighter, though the hose can be clumsy.

Of course, tools powered by an electric compressor are using the same energy source as a batery operated tool.

Kevin
                        There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• john welsford
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Breakaway
                          Air tool are also smaller and lighter, though the hose can be clumsy.

Of course, tools powered by an electric compressor are using the same energy source as a batery operated tool.

Kevin
                          I'll be hauling my ship for a repaint in a month or so, have a good sized compressor so rather than all the carp associated with dust extraction and power cords, will be buying an air powered sander and wet sanding. More power, less weight, and I'd have to sweep up anyway.

John Welsford.

Comment

• David G
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by john welsford
                            I'll be hauling my ship for a repaint in a month or so, have a good sized compressor so rather than all the carp associated with dust extraction and power cords, will be buying an air powered sander and wet sanding. More power, less weight, and I'd have to sweep up anyway.

John Welsford.
                            I use a DA air sander a lot in the shop. If you don't already have all your air hose... I've found the very flexible or 'lay-flat' versions are quite worth the premium.
                            David G
                            Harbor Woodworks
                            https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• john welsford
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by epoxyboy
                              Our truck mechanic son is the same - air driven rattle guns etc have gone the way of the dodo, replaced by cordless. His brand of choice is Makita, he reckons the reliability is far better than DeWalt and Milwaukee in a commercial workshop environment.

Pete
                              For my sins I am occasionally handed a box of power tools and asked to go and fix them. Ryobi or AEG get their brushes checked but otherwise go in the trash, Milwaukee Bosch and DeWalt are better, but not much. I'll spend time on a Makita or Hitachi, and I think I've only ever seen one Festool, and that had only a cord that had been damaged.
                              The big box store house brands? I don't even pick them up out of the box. If they don't go, they go.
                              A lot of this though has to do with the availability of spares, and Bosch here are dreadful in that respect.

John Welsford

Comment

• lagspiller
                                Northern Loon
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
                                Same could be argued for large engines.
                                Toyota announced today that it is phasing out all vehicles that are not 0-emission by 2035. That's only 15 years from now and that is when their very last model will roll off the production line. Meaning most conventional-Dino models will probably be gone within the coming 10 years ... from the largest motor vehicle producer in the world.

Here, our ferry went full electric last year. It uses 10 minutes to charge between crossings (35 minutes). A fairly large ferry, takes about 140 cars. And the govt has announced that only 0-emission ferries will be allowed to compete for the ferry concessions all around the coast. That's a lot of big engines going electric very soon.

Times, they are a changing.
                                Last edited by lagspiller; 12-03-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...