Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Pardons for Cash

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    8,577

    Default Pardons for Cash

    this should be interesting reading when it becomes unredacted. And there are still people who consider The Donald "the Best president we ever had"

    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...A6olEHl_C2H35Q
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    I don't understand how this happens in Barr's DOJ. Does he not have control over it? Is he suddenly developing values other than to serve his master?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36,479

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Rattling the teacups.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    15,285

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    thirty six dollars for pickin flowers
    and a night in jail

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,231

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash



    Catching?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    37,421

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Seems to me, sadly, that if the president's power to pardon is absolute, he has the perfect right to sell them.

    If he does not have that right, then the power is not absolute, and some rules must apply.
    Hope the door hits him on the way out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    106,786

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36,479

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    thirty six dollars for pickin flowers
    and a night in jail

    The Governor of Mississippi pardoned Mr. Cash in 2007.


    The house where he was picking flowers is at the Northeast corner of Montgomery and MLK in Starkville, MS 39759.

    The bar where he Cash playing has gone through many changes over the years, but remains open as Dave's Dark Horse Tavern.
    Rattling the teacups.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36,479

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Rattling the teacups.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FLorida
    Posts
    1,000

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Seems to me, sadly, that if the president's power to pardon is absolute, he has the perfect right to sell them.

    If he does not have that right, then the power is not absolute, and some rules must apply.
    It's a violations of the oath of office to uphold the constitution. So the punishment is impeachment, which even if it were possible, would be useless at this point.

    Trumps presidency has pointed out very starkly that the office of the president does not have the checks in place to contain a criminal administration. When the only check in place are members of a captured party, there are no checks in place.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    43,733

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Man oh man, the images in that video. The common look on so many of those faces; the view out of those eyes.

    Not a slice of humanity that seems to be filled with joy, or even a routine experience of pleasure. If ever one thinks that a life of crime seems like a viable option ... look into those eyes. All those eyes.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    64,290

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    It's a violations of the oath of office to uphold the constitution. So the punishment is impeachment, which even if it were possible, would be useless at this point.

    Trumps presidency has pointed out very starkly that the office of the president does not have the checks in place to contain a criminal administration. When the only check in place are members of a captured party, there are no checks in place.
    What he said………., and deliberately so just in case the 'wrong' sort of person won the election……oops…...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    28,921

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    This could be very big.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

    Coup stopped. Praise Allah, the compassionate, the merciful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6,097

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Pardons for money spawned protestantism.

    Didn’t really work though.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    16,536

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    The Algorithm Is Watching

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    37,421

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    We will see how all this plays out. My money would be on him resigning and Pence granting him a pardon. That would not run the risk of a self pardon.

    I do hope challenges surface, as I have this gut belief that if pardons are for crimes, we have the right to know what crime/s one is being pardoned for.

    Many have suggested the acceptance of a pardon is an admission of guilt, but do we not have a right to know what the pardoned person was guilty of?
    Hope the door hits him on the way out.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    22,994

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Pardons for money spawned protestantism.

    Didn’t really work though.
    It was an exemplary success, until it wasn't.

    Sacrifice-reward, the "gimme" religion down through the ages. Quid pro quo as in military aid to Ukraine.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

    -- James Madison, Federalist 55

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    43,733

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    We will see how all this plays out. My money would be on him resigning and Pence granting him a pardon. That would not run the risk of a self pardon.

    I do hope challenges surface, as I have this gut belief that if pardons are for crimes, we have the right to know what crime/s one is being pardoned for.

    Many have suggested the acceptance of a pardon is an admission of guilt, but do we not have a right to know what the pardoned person was guilty of?
    Pence runs a real risk of being charged with bribery and/or obstruction of justice if he pardons Trump in such a scenario though. The pardon to Trump would stand, but Pence himself would be at risk.

    I think it might be delicious were Trump to step down on such an understanding, and then be arrested by the FBI for attempted bribery while Pence turned State's Evidence in some kind of plea agreement himself. Daydreaming for sure, but it's a nice daydream.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    37,421

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    If Pence promised, but didn't deliver, I'd be delighted.

    Seems the seas ahead may be a bit rough We'll soon see how all this goes. Much may be unpredictable.
    Hope the door hits him on the way out.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    8,244

    Default Re: Pardons for Cash

    If trump is really considering selling pardons, he should review how Clinton did it. Why reinvent the wheel....
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •