Thread: Pardons for Cash

Default Pardons for Cash

this should be interesting reading when it becomes unredacted. And there are still people who consider The Donald "the Best president we ever had"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...A6olEHl_C2H35Q
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: Pardons for Cash

I don't understand how this happens in Barr's DOJ. Does he not have control over it? Is he suddenly developing values other than to serve his master?

Rattling the teacups.

thirty six dollars for pickin flowers
    and a night in jail

Catching?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Seems to me, sadly, that if the president's power to pardon is absolute, he has the perfect right to sell them.

If he does not have that right, then the power is not absolute, and some rules must apply.
    Hope the door hits him on the way out.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    thirty six dollars for pickin flowers
    and a night in jail

The Governor of Mississippi pardoned Mr. Cash in 2007.

The house where he was picking flowers is at the Northeast corner of Montgomery and MLK in Starkville, MS 39759.

The bar where he Cash playing has gone through many changes over the years, but remains open as Dave's Dark Horse Tavern.
    Rattling the teacups.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Seems to me, sadly, that if the president's power to pardon is absolute, he has the perfect right to sell them.

If he does not have that right, then the power is not absolute, and some rules must apply.
    It's a violations of the oath of office to uphold the constitution. So the punishment is impeachment, which even if it were possible, would be useless at this point.

Trumps presidency has pointed out very starkly that the office of the president does not have the checks in place to contain a criminal administration. When the only check in place are members of a captured party, there are no checks in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Man oh man, the images in that video. The common look on so many of those faces; the view out of those eyes.

Not a slice of humanity that seems to be filled with joy, or even a routine experience of pleasure. If ever one thinks that a life of crime seems like a viable option ... look into those eyes. All those eyes.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    It's a violations of the oath of office to uphold the constitution. So the punishment is impeachment, which even if it were possible, would be useless at this point.

Trumps presidency has pointed out very starkly that the office of the president does not have the checks in place to contain a criminal administration. When the only check in place are members of a captured party, there are no checks in place.
    What he said………., and deliberately so just in case the 'wrong' sort of person won the election……oops…...

This could be very big.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Coup stopped. Praise Allah, the compassionate, the merciful.

Pardons for money spawned protestantism.

Didn’t really work though.

The Algorithm Is Watching

We will see how all this plays out. My money would be on him resigning and Pence granting him a pardon. That would not run the risk of a self pardon.

I do hope challenges surface, as I have this gut belief that if pardons are for crimes, we have the right to know what crime/s one is being pardoned for.

Many have suggested the acceptance of a pardon is an admission of guilt, but do we not have a right to know what the pardoned person was guilty of?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Pardons for money spawned protestantism.

Didn’t really work though.
    It was an exemplary success, until it wasn't.

Sacrifice-reward, the "gimme" religion down through the ages. Quid pro quo as in military aid to Ukraine.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    We will see how all this plays out. My money would be on him resigning and Pence granting him a pardon. That would not run the risk of a self pardon.

I do hope challenges surface, as I have this gut belief that if pardons are for crimes, we have the right to know what crime/s one is being pardoned for.

Many have suggested the acceptance of a pardon is an admission of guilt, but do we not have a right to know what the pardoned person was guilty of?
    Pence runs a real risk of being charged with bribery and/or obstruction of justice if he pardons Trump in such a scenario though. The pardon to Trump would stand, but Pence himself would be at risk.

I think it might be delicious were Trump to step down on such an understanding, and then be arrested by the FBI for attempted bribery while Pence turned State's Evidence in some kind of plea agreement himself. Daydreaming for sure, but it's a nice daydream.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

If Pence promised, but didn't deliver, I'd be delighted.

Seems the seas ahead may be a bit rough We'll soon see how all this goes. Much may be unpredictable.

If trump is really considering selling pardons, he should review how Clinton did it. Why reinvent the wheel....
    __________________________________________________ ________________________