Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ignore list

Default Re: The ignore list

As I have gotten older my curmudgeon quotient has risen and increasingly I have little time for nonsense. Thus I have 17 people on Ignore, and trust me, I sincerely doubt my life would be better by releasing them.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Coup stopped. Praise Allah, the compassionate, the merciful.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I do that often, and usually regret it - but the ignore list means I don't have to read their stuff if I don't want to.
    I rarely peek, as I know it would be a waste of electrons. Unlike isla, I am intolerant of boiling blood, the Ignorance function protects me from that.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The ignore list...isn't that like a really intentional echo chamber, as opposed to the unintended echo chamber of the forum?
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    The ignore list...isn't that like a really intentional echo chamber, as opposed to the unintended echo chamber of the forum?
    Only IF you populate your list - just because they disagree. I'd call that 'self-defeating'. I prefer attempting to learn from those with different perspectives, as I mentioned in #33.

I find it deplorable OTOH that otherwise responsible people RESPOND to proven dingbats, trying to talk sense to them, even after they've repeatedly shown that they are highly unlikely to contribute anything of value to the discussion. Thereby derailing the discussion.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G
    I draw the line at a different point [than mere disagreement]. When continued efforts at discourse reveal that a correspondent adds more confusion to a discussion than enlightenment... when the Noise/Signal is consistently high... is when they become candidates. When it continues unabated... then they go on the list.
    ^
    This.

Which likely explains why such a high percentage of those who make my list end up Scotted.

Wrestling with a pig is senseless. You just get filthy dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Only IF you populate your list - just because they disagree. I'd call that 'self-defeating'. I prefer attempting to learn from those with different perspectives, as I mentioned in #33.

I find it deplorable OTOH that otherwise responsible people RESPOND to proven dingbats, trying to talk sense to them, even after they've repeatedly shown that they are highly unlikely to contribute anything of value to the discussion. Thereby derailing the discussion.

Simple reasoned disagreement is OK, but when it triggers knee-jerk disparagement by a jerk, now that is different.

If it is a total fact free ding bat, then extracting the urine can be fun, and may amuse others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    This.
    by such reasoning i should put david 'on ignore'
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I’ve got 92 and most of them are long gone.

Since 2000 I have only ever had one person on the ignore list. His addition made it possible to return from self imposed exile.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

OK - so not only ignore the person on your list, ignore replies to said person. It really isn't that hard...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    OK - so not only ignore the person on your list, ignore replies to said person. It really isn't that hard...
    The OP cites an example of how that doesn't work.

Threads can and do get derailed. Taken over by attempts to talk reason to those who eschew it. To the point where you advice translates into: ignore that thread. Sure... one could do that. But I didn't want to ignore the thread. Since the topic was of interest, I wanted, instead, to hear the discussion. Doesn't seem unreasonable to ask people, instead, not to let that happen, and to suggest the Ignore List as a mechanism for accomplishing that aim.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I picture the people with lots of names on "ignore", scrolling down through certain threads, wondering what's going on and pinching themselves not to give in and peek...

The OP cites an example of how that doesn't work.

Threads can and do get derailed. Taken over by attempts to talk reason to those who eschew it. To the point where you advice translates into: ignore that thread. Sure... one could do that. But I didn't want to ignore the thread. Since the topic was of interest, I wanted, instead, to hear the discussion. Doesn't seem unreasonable to ask people, instead, not to let that happen, and to suggest the Ignore List as a mechanism for accomplishing that aim.
    If it eras your thread close it, either way, start a new one on the same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I picture the people with lots of names on "ignore", scrolling down through certain threads, wondering what's going on and pinching themselves not to give in and peek...
    Nope. Not for me.

Of course... as many others have noted... the folks that go on the list also tend to bail or get banned eventually. Putting them on the list just accomplished the same thing... sooner... and on a personal level. The more people that put the time-wasters on ignore, the quicker and more thoroughly that practical effect kicks in.
    Last edited by David G; 12-02-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I wanna be on the Ignore List!
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Sounds like you have it down to a science.

My list is shorter, but it grew by one a few minutes ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Nice of you to oblige, CW.
    Ah well, may be next time eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Ah well, may be next time eh?
    Did you peek?

It doesn't really work that way. Of all the people on my ignore list, only a very few are currently active, and there's rarely a thread where their contributions are very important. And then they get quoted. Landrith is really the only one who's been posting a lot lately, and I've seen enough of his ravings to last several lifetimes.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

do you think y'all might guess the one and only name on my list?

i just couldn't take 'the stupid' any longer
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I like Landrith's ravings. Comic relief.

Juan, on the other hand, confuse the hell out of me.

I like Landrith's ravings. Comic relief. Juan, on the other hand, confuses the hell out of me.
    I've heard too much of that kind of thing; not funny anymore, merely tiresome. I don't understand Juan either. Could be a translation issue, but I suspect he's just not operating inside the same idea of reality the rest of us are.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 12-02-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I don't understand Juan either. Could be a translation issue, but I suspect he's just not operating inside the same idea of reality the rest of us are.
    As many will have noticed, you "suspect" a lot of stuff, and although you may wish to believe your idea of reality is correct, it is often wrong. His reality may well be very different from yours, does that make it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Flobart View Post
    As many will have noticed, you "suspect" a lot of stuff, and although you may wish to believe your idea of reality is correct, it is often wrong. His reality may well be very different from yours, does that make it wrong?
    Reality is what it is, and it does not depend on what any of us think, although we all understand it imperfectly, and all of us are no doubt mistaken about many things. But if I thought he was right, I'd agree with him.

Richard Feynman

One particular forumite was my kryptonite. My intemperate replies to him got me Scotted three times. No doubt he pushed the button on me all three times. After the third banning I wised up. I put him on my ignore list and I never again crossed the line. I still peeked. But the fact that I had to take an extra step to view his posts was an effective reminder to me to be very careful (even when he went on and on about "fake ignore lists").
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 12-02-2020 at 04:21 PM.

I don't put someone on ignore because I disagree with them. I can learn more from someone with a different view than I frequently learn from people who agree with me.

I put someone on ignore when they use insult instead of reason to engage with others.

I put someone on ignore when they seem to enjoy provoking someone rather than entering into honest discussions.

I put someone on ignore when I believe they are deliberately disingenuous without being humorous.

I put someone on ignore when I realize they are just a parrot repeating the words of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    One particular forumite was my kryptonite. My intemperate replies to him got be Scotted three times. No doubt he pushed the button on me all three times. After the third banning I wised up. I put him on my ignore list and I never again crossed the line. I still peeked. But the fact that I had to take an extra step to view his posts was an effective reminder to me to be very careful (even when he went on and on about "fake ignore lists").
    Got me a couple times as well. Before I gave up the hopeless and maddening task of 'coaching up' a fellow Oregonian.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I used to use my ignore feature a lot, then just before Grebe passed away in a horrible motorcycle accident I took him off ignore and we reconciled, then I took EVERYONE off and got to be cordial to Philip Alan before he passed.

I find those like Sky Blue, bobbys, dutch, etc get themselves permabanned that it’s of little consequence anyway.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 12-02-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

self-con·trol

/ˈˌself kənˈtrōl/

noun
    noun: self-control

The ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, especially in difficult situations.

"Lucy silently struggled for self-control"

self-con·trol

/ˈˌself kənˈtrōl/

noun

The ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, especially in difficult situations.

yeah well you’re probably a grown up.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    yeah well you’re probably a grown up.
    Ha! UR funny. I own a 52' 80YO boat - just how grown up can I be?

A "grown up?"

What's that?

self-con·trol

/ˈˌself kənˈtrōl/

noun

Remember what Ghandi said when asked what he thought of Western Civilization? He said, 'It would be a good idea'.

The thread cited in the OP illustrates that your good idea too often doesn't work. An ignore list works because it's a decision made once. You don't have to make it each time, and trust that you won't just respond reactively each/some of the time.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks