Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done gone

Default Done gone

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Done gone

Reminds me of poor old Charlie Brown with his kites and the kite eating trees.
    Sorry to hear you lost this valuable drone.
    I'm sure you're not the first to do this.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

If it's of any consolation the new Mini 2 is out, yeah, they changed the name from Mavic Mini. Anyway. . . with the new Mini 2 being released you could buy a bare-bones original for less than you paid for your now-departed drone, or you could upgrade to the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Reminds me of poor old Charlie Brown with his kites and the kite eating trees.
    Sorry to hear you lost this valuable drone.
    I'm sure you're not the first to do this.
    So this is the third and final time I’ve lost this drone. The last time it was a 3 hr hike in an unforgiving canyon. Only to emerge bloody, scraped and exhausted but victorious.

The problem is this drone is the least expensive at $350 and lightest at 249 grams it doesn’t have object avoidance sensors that the next level up drone (over $1,000 ) has. So I could buy a replacement drone for $300 or I could go for the next level up over $1,000 with a better camera and a ton of obstacle avoidance software and sensors so that this or the other times I’ve lost the drone wont happen.

The problem is 2 fold #1 it’s would be out of the 249 gram weight that allows me to fly it without FAA registration and license and #2 it’s 3.5 X the price.

you should buy another one while im reloading

AA53F206-7CB0-45FB-A010-6ABD6AD32C5F.jpg

i kid, i kid

Oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    you should buy another one while im reloading

AA53F206-7CB0-45FB-A010-6ABD6AD32C5F.jpg

i kid, i kid
    lol

I'm with Lee, you are lucky I'm in Wisconsin . I ain't sure if we have a drone season here. this was opener of our State Holiday, Deer Hunting.
    Tom

So Joe what should I be aware of should I get the Mavic mini so it doesn’t crash and burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    I'm with Lee, you are lucky I'm in Wisconsin . I ain't sure if we have a drone season here. this was opener of our State Holiday, Deer Hunting.
    Tom
    I’ve said this 1,000 times.
    #1 if ANYONE is around that has any objections I do not fly
    #2 I mostly fly in remote place with few or no people
    #3 The drone I selected is almost noiseless

So the whole hate drones is not an issue with me and my film activity

My drone doesn't land like a helicopter. .....it splashes down like a space capsule.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Mini 2. 4K camera. Much more powerful battery. Comes with the new controller. Even lighter than Mini 1, but able to overcome stronger wind.
    Still no obstacle avoidance.
    Whatcha gonna do with your batteries now that Mini 1 is treed?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

We photograph boats and for sent a number of drones to the bottom of various lakes, bays, and oceans annually.

Now, we hire out drone work. It's cheaper in the long run.
    We commisserate sincerely when a contractors drone goes splash, gets lost or decides its not doing the, " return to base," function today!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Spins were too fast. And I wanted to see a pic of the tree. But some very good video .

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    My drone doesn't land like a helicopter. .....it splashes down like a space capsule.

all that time I was thinking it needed sound, but it doesn’t

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Spins were too fast. And I wanted to see a pic of the tree. But some very good video .
    Might be the tree at 2:24/25 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Might be the tree at 2:24/25 mark.
    Yup thats the one, its tremendous up close.

Who needs a ladder?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

A feller here in town goes by the handle Kiteman and he builds drones. He used to fly hang gliders and power gliders. Now it's drones with three or four motors. I deliver the parts he orders, and the packages are usually almost weightless. A couple of weeks ago he started buying heavy little items. I asked him what he's up to and he said that he decided to try building a jet engine We have a new employee at the post office- who just happens to be Kitemans next door neighbor. I mentioned to her that he was planning on building a jet engine and she said So that's what that noise is! He's got it working JayInOz

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

So when the wind finally blows it down, is there any way for a good Samaritan to find you?

Like Jimmy says, leave a poster at the base of the tree, and with local merchants (on windows) etc. You might get it back the next time the wind blows hard. And it is November. There has to be a storm through there sometime soon.

Joe, don't you know an arborist that could pluck it for you?
    Tom

OK big question: Do I just buy a $300 Mavic Mini replacement drone like the one that crashed into the tree and the mountain and has no obstacle avoidance ?

https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Excl...6009162&sr=8-2

Or do I go for the Mavic Air 2 $800 drone that has a ton more things including obstacle avoidance and active tracking?

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Mavic-Air...kle_mcd_asin_2

The latter is over the 249 gram weight limit, so maybe you could just get that licence and than shop around.
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

So is there a reason your drone keeps hitting stuff that you can work on and keep buying the cheaper version...
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    So is there a reason your drone keeps hitting stuff that you can work on and keep buying the cheaper version...
    Yea it doesn't have any obstacle avoidance sensors, so if you fly into a tree, the drone flies into a tree. Also it's so small you loose depth of field pretty fast so you don't know if its just to the left of the object or right of it. With obstacle avoidance sensors it stops before it hits the tree. My old drone also connects through sketchy wifi signals which is why I lost it the first time, it just lost signal and it flew into a mountain side in deep brush. The more expensive one comes with the new DJI Oculus signal way more secure signals.

Lastly the more expensive drone has more cinematic modes as well as active tracking that will follow you on a bike, boat, vespa etc all while avoiding hitting anything. The down side is you do have to register it with the FAA and I don't know about classes or license needed, oh and the price.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-23-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    A feller here in town goes by the handle Kiteman and he builds drones. He used to fly hang gliders and power gliders. Now it's drones with three or four motors. I deliver the parts he orders, and the packages are usually almost weightless. A couple of weeks ago he started buying heavy little items. I asked him what he's up to and he said that he decided to try building a jet engine We have a new employee at the post office- who just happens to be Kitemans next door neighbor. I mentioned to her that he was planning on building a jet engine and she said So that's what that noise is! He's got it working JayInOz
    sounds like your part of the world is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yea it doesn't have any obstacle avoidance sensors, so if you fly into a tree, the drone flies into a tree. Also it's so small you loose depth of field pretty fast so you don't know if its just to the left of the object or right of it. With obstacle avoidance sensors it stops before it hits the tree. My old drone also connects through sketchy wifi signals which is why I lost it the first time, it just lost signal and it flew into a mountain side in deep brush. The more expensive one comes with the new DJI Oculus signal way more secure signals.

Lastly the more expensive drone has more cinematic modes as well as active tracking that will follow you on a bike, boat, vespa etc all while avoiding hitting anything. The down side is you do have to register it with the FAA and I don't know about classes or license needed, oh and the price.
    The answer is actually quite easy, don't fly into stuff. It's not like the DJI drones are hard to fly.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Well, can you just rinse my Puli off a little bit, or should I get her shampooed and brushed out?
    Just get the better one.
    O
    --------(\ ----------
    ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Joe:

1) Go back there when there is big wind predicted, it might blow down.

2) If the rotors are on top, there might be the possibility of draping a bright streamer underneath if it won't get tangled in rotors, or perhaps a short streamer for visibility and the rest really light line like a tiny Amsteel or Dyneema fiber, sewing thread thickness (or even just heavy sewing thread) would be easily strong enough to yank it from a tree, and accordingly long. I always skied with leashes, but some with binding brakes still had to worry about loosing a ski in the deeps so would attach long streamers to them to help find.

3) Get a second drone as a recovery vehicle. A tank recovery vehicle is just another tank.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I think Iím gonna wait until Black Friday or cyber Monday to see if they have any deals and then buy the better drone. I find Iím really enjoying film making and its a great artistic outlet.

The clincher for me was:
    A) Obstacle Avoidance
    B) DJI Oculus Connection
    C) 4K @ 60 FPS Video / 48MP Camera
    D) Active tracking software combined with obstacle avoidance means I can have it follow me on a Vespa / SUP / Kayak / Jeep and not hit anything as it follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I think I’m gonna wait until Black Friday or cyber Monday to see if they have any deals and then buy the better drone. I find I’m really enjoying film making and its a great artistic outlet.

The clincher for me was:
    A) Obstacle Avoidance
    B) DJI Oculus Connection
    C) 4K @ 60 FPS Video / 48MP Camera
    D) Active tracking software combined with obstacle avoidance means I can have it follow me on a Vespa / SUP / Kayak / Jeep and not hit anything as it follows.
    Uhhh... exactly how does it perform obstacle detection? I have some doubts about a lightweight, relatively low cost rotor-drone traveling at vehicle speeds, canted forward, with sufficient range/focus/spread to detect skinny, rubber covered objects like a telephone wire. I'm very curious if the detection is visual wavelengths, radar, laser, sonar, etc. It may do it, things are advancing very, very rapidly. But if you get one, you should immediately perform tests in a big flat field versus benign obstacles, starting with plastic soda straws at increasing speeds.

OK so I pulled the trigger on the DJI Mavic Air 2 the more expensive drone with obstacle avoidance and active tracking.

It was a tough choice it's $300 more than the newest Mavic Mini 2 and has nearly the same specs aside from obstacle avoidance and active tracking.

Part of my vacillation was I wanted to believe that I would improve and learn from my mistakes and become a better drone pilot. Also I have a hard case for the Mini, and extra batteries that would fit. Then I thought about the times that my heart sank when I thought I lost the drone or worse a 3 hour hike to find it in deep brush. Almost every time I would take off there was a moment of dread that this might be the last time.

I watched a lot of videos of the obstacle avoidance and active tracking and it was a night and day epiphany that I would feel far more secure, add to the fact combine the obstacle avoidance with active tracking would allow me to really explore drone cinematography and track all our activities. The final decision was that even though the Mini 2 comes in under the FAA registration requirements by being under 250 grams it only cost $5 to register a drone over 250 grams ( big woop )

Delivery date is Monday
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-27-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Aha, I think those two eyes in front are obstacle sensors*. But I hope they have more range than the common obstacle sensors that are now in many vehicle back bumpers, I think those are ultrasonic. Any indication of maximum obstacle avoidance speed?

* Unless they are night-vision/infrared light sources for the camera.