Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tr**p that cried 'FRAUD'

Default The Tr**p that cried 'FRAUD'

It appears that the orange idiot will eat the Republican Party by continuing with his idiotic exercise in futility and effectively dissuade Republican voters from to casting their vote in the Senate run-off in Georgia in January. Combined with the grass-roots campaign infrastructure and momentum Stacey Abrams and her team have built in that state, the tangerine turd is gifting the Senate to the Democrats.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/28/p...ffs/index.html

In the words of a famous cartoon bunny, "What a maroon!"
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 11-29-2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: No mo' double negative!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Default Re: The Tr**p that cried 'FRAUD'

So you're an expert on the political landscape now, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    It appears that the orange idiot will eat the Republican Party by continuing with his idiotic exercise in futility and effectively dissuade Republican voters not to cast their vote in the Senate run-off in Georgia in January. Combined with the grass-roots campaign infrastructure and momentum Stacey Abrams and her team have built in that state, the tangerine turd is gifting the Senate to the Democrats.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/28/p...ffs/index.html

In the words of a famous cartoon bunny, "What a maroon!"
    There's an ugly double negative in the there, does it really say what you meant it to say?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I'm not at all sure how Trump's fiascos impact the GOP. Georgia may tell us.

There are so many unknowns at this point that any opinion we form is a guess, or possibly wishful thinking.

One possibility is Ga. elects two dems to the senate, and Schumer is senate leader. Biden gets all his qualified nominees confirmed. Dems get stuff passed that the vast majority of people like, and that is reflected in 2022 elections and the 2024 elections.

Another possibility is Ga. does not elect any dem to the senate, Mitch remains leader. Senate blocks everything and Biden gets little, if anything, passed into law. Given the Trump's executive orders didn't cost him any votes, it's hard to predict what undoing those executive orders will do insofar as impacting votes in the future.

Then there's the pardons that come, or don't come. It Trump does give lots of pardons to lots of people, I'm not sure how that impacts voters. Even some Republican voters may be angry that the 'law and order' president pardons those who broke the law, and if they hadn't broken the law, what is the pardon for?

If he doesn't pardon a large group of people, I'm not sure how that plays, either.

Trump likely comes out of this with a pardon from Pence, although Pence may not deliver if he sees that act as a destruction of his own ambitions. If Trump IS pardoned, I have no idea how that impacts those who see him as the 'law and order' president.

We also don't know if Biden's going to be able, as the pandemic gets worse, make the economy better.

One of the sad things about our politics is the president gets a lot of blame or credit based on what congress does or does not pass.
    Last edited by John Smith; 11-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    Hope the door hits him on the way out.

Might want to develop the habit of proofreading before posting, John.

Quote Originally Posted by kgr1 View Post
    Might want to develop the habit of proofreading before posting, John.
    Yes, I should.

but I don't see my error. Please point it out. Think I caught and changed. Thanks.

Just wanted to see if anyone would notice. lol
    Last edited by John Smith; 11-29-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I'm not at all sure how Trump's fiascos impact the GOP. Georgia may tell us.

There are so many unknowns at this point that any opinion we form is a guess, or possibly wishful thinking.

One possibility is Ga. elects two dems to the senate, and Schumer is senate leader. Biden gets all his qualified nominees confirmed. Dems get stuff passed that the vast majority of people like, and that is reflected in 2002 elections and the 2004 elections.

Another possibility is Ga. does not elect any dem to the senate, Mitch remains leader. Senate blocks everything and Biden gets little, if anything, passed into law. Given the Trump's executive orders didn't cost him any votes, it's hard to predict what undoing those executive orders will do insofar as impacting votes in the future.

Then there's the pardons that come, or don't come. It Trump does give lots of pardons to lots of people, I'm not sure how that impacts voters. Even some Republican voters may be angry that the 'law and order' president pardons those who broke the law, and if they hadn't broken the law, what is the pardon for?

If he doesn't pardon a large group of people, I'm not sure how that plays, either.

Trump likely comes out of this with a pardon from Pence, although Pence may not deliver if he sees that act as a destruction of his own ambitions. If Trump IS pardoned, I have no idea how that impacts those who see him as the 'law and order' president.

We also don't know if Biden's going to be able, as the pandemic gets worse, make the economy better.

One of the sad things about our politics is the president gets a lot of blame or credit based on what congress does or does not pass.
    Pence can only pardon him if he resigns, soon, I think? Is he likely to resign? I guess so, after the college confirms Biden.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Pence can only pardon him if he resigns, soon, I think? Is he likely to resign? I guess so, after the college confirms Biden.
    How long does it take to issue a pardon? An hour? A day? My great hope would be Pence promises then declines to do so.

How long does it take to issue a pardon? An hour? A day? My great hope would be Pence promises then declines to do so.
    Has tRump had his day in court? I must have missed that.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

No idea! How long does it take? I mean, could Trump resign the day before he's kicked out and have Pence pardon him instantly? I can imagine that if we had such a thing here, it would take weeks just to get the relevant papers stamped! I was expecting that there'd be at least some sort of process over there with pardoning and it would take more than an hour ....

Pence promising then refusing would be fun to watch!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The president can pardon people from future convictions, even before any charges are laid. No day in court is required - at all!
    Rick

Speaking of tRump's day in court...

Pennsylvania SC Rejects GOP Effort to Block Election Certification, Says It's Too Late in Latest Trump Defeat

By Christina Zhao on 11/28/20 AT 9:27 PM EST

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court on Saturday night rejected Republican efforts to block the state's certification of election results in the latest blow to President Donald Trump's campaign to overturn his defeat.

The highest court in the Keystone State was unanimous in dismissing a lawsuit from Congressman Mike Kelly and other Republicans that sought to invalidate absentee voting and halt the certification of votes.

In an order, five out of seven judges said that the lawsuit was filed too late—after procedures for mail-in ballots had been confirmed and millions had already voted.

"It is beyond cavil that Petitioners failed to act with due diligence in presenting the instant claim," the judges wrote. "Upon consideration of the parties' filings in Commonwealth Court, we hereby dismiss the petition for review with prejudice based upon Petitioners' failure to file their facial constitutional challenge in a timely manner."

https://www.newsweek.com/pennsylvani...-trump-1550958
    cav·il
    /ˈkavəl/

verb
    make petty or unnecessary objections.
    "they caviled at the cost"

Similar:

• complain
    • carp
    • grumble
    • moan
    • grouse
    • grouch
    • whine
    • bleat
    • find fault with
    • quibble about
    • niggle about
    • criticize
    • censure
    • denounce
    • condemn
    • decry
    • mither
    • twine
    • gripe
    • beef
    • bellyache
    • bitch
    • nitpick
    • pick holes in
    • split hairs
    • sound off
    • kick up a fuss
    • knock
    • whinge
    • chunter
    • kvetch about

noun
    an objection seen as petty or unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Did Nixon?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    No idea! How long does it take? I mean, could Trump resign the day before he's kicked out and have Pence pardon him instantly? I can imagine that if we had such a thing here, it would take weeks just to get the relevant papers stamped! I was expecting that there'd be at least some sort of process over there with pardoning and it would take more than an hour ....

Pence promising then refusing would be fun to watch!
    I would, also, but it seems Flynn was pardoned by tweet.

I would have thought, apparently erroneously, that a pardon should at some point list the crimes for which one is pardoned. I'm not at all sure if this has ever been a court case.

I would have thought, apparently erroneously, that a pardon should at some point list the crimes for which one is pardoned. I'm not at all sure if this has ever been a court case.
    Me too but no, he can actually pardon someone for crimes that no one even knows about yet! I do wonder how far that goes!!

From Wiki
    The full extent of a president's power to pardon has not been fully resolved. Pardons have been used for presumptive cases, such as when President Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon, who had not been charged with anything, over any possible crimes connected with the Watergate scandal,[7] but the Supreme Court has never ruled on the legality of such pardons.[8] There is disagreement about how the pardon power applies to cases involving obstructions of an impeachment.[9] And the ability of a president to pardon himself (self-pardon) has never been tested in the courts, because, to date, no president has ever taken that action
    Rick

Another report regarding the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision: “They have failed to allege that even a single mail-in ballot was fraudulently cast or counted.”

Note to all Bilge Trumpkins: Not only did the Trump legal eagles fail to PROVE fraud... they failed to even ALLEGE fraud before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court!

Evidently even Trump's lawyers believe he is talking out of his fat a$$.

Pennsylvania high court rejects lawsuit challenging election

By Marc Levy | AP
    November 28, 2020 at 7:25 p.m. EST

Pennsylvania’s highest court on Saturday night threw out a lower court’s order preventing the state from certifying dozens of contests on its Nov. 3 election ballot in the latest lawsuit filed by Republicans attempting to thwart President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the battleground state.

The state Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision, threw out the three-day-old order, saying the underlying lawsuit was filed months after the expiration of a time limit in Pennsylvania’s expansive year-old mail-in voting law allowing for challenges to it.

Justices also remarked on the lawsuit’s staggering demand that an entire election be overturned retroactively.

“They have failed to allege that even a single mail-in ballot was fraudulently cast or counted,” Justice David Wecht wrote in a concurring opinion.

The state’s attorney general, Democrat Josh Shapiro, called the court’s decision “another win for Democracy.”

President Donald Trump and his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, meanwhile, have repeatedly and baselessly claimed that Democrats falsified mail-in ballots to steal the election from Trump. Biden beat Trump by more than 80,000 votes in Pennsylvania, a state Trump had won in 2016.

The week-old lawsuit, led by Republican U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly of northwestern Pennsylvania, had challenged the state’s mail-in voting law as unconstitutional.

As a remedy, Kelly and the other Republican plaintiffs had sought to either throw out the 2.5 million mail-in ballots submitted under the law — most of them by Democrats — or to wipe out the election results and direct the state’s Republican-controlled Legislature to pick Pennsylvania’s presidential electors.

In any case, that request — for the state’s lawmakers to pick Pennsylvania’s presidential electors — flies in the face of a nearly century-old state law that already grants the power to pick electors to the state’s popular vote, Wecht wrote.

While the high court’s two Republicans joined the five Democrats in opposing those remedies, they split from Democrats in suggesting that the lawsuit’s underlying claims — that the state’s mail-in voting law might violate the constitution — are worth considering.

Commonwealth Court Judge Patricia McCullough, elected as a Republican in 2009, had issued the order Wednesday to halt certification of any remaining contests, including apparently contests for Congress.

It did not appear to affect the presidential contest since a day earlier, Gov. Tom Wolf, a Democrat, had certified Biden as the winner of the presidential election in Pennsylvania.

Wolf quickly appealed McCullough’s decision to the state Supreme Court, saying there was no “conceivable justification” for it.

The lawsuit’s dismissal comes after Republicans have lost a flurry of legal challenges brought by the Trump campaign and its GOP allies filed in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania.

On Friday, a federal appeals court in Philadelphia roundly rejected the Trump campaign’s latest effort to challenge the state’s election results.

In that lawsuit, Trump’s campaign had complained that its observers had not been able to scrutinize mail-in ballots as they were being processed in two Democratic bastions, Philadelphia and Allegheny County, which is home to Pittsburgh.

Trump’s lawyers vowed to appeal to the Supreme Court despite the judges’ assessment that the “campaign’s claims have no merit.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...719_story.html
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 11-29-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Normally, yes. But in the case of pardoning Nixon, Ford pardoned him for any and all crimes he might​ have committed while in office. That is what Trump is hoping for.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Pudding proof:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

What a farcial state of affairs. What a farcial State for that matter.

A Milligan Goon Show script or a Sellars film could not have imagined such a situation.

Yes, he is...and you're Not!

This is just a little bit pitiful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...s-prison-lies/

By now, it’s been widely established that President Trump’s nonstop lies about the election being stolen from him have created a potential problem for Republicans. If GOP voters believe the system is rigged, why would they turn out to vote in the two runoffs in Georgia that will decide control of the Senate?
    In a new turn in this ugly saga, Georgia Republicans are now actively pleading with Trump to put an end to this problem for them. But what’s even more darkly absurd is how they’re going about doing this: They apparently do not believe that they themselves can explain to voters that the voting was actually legitimate in their own state — until Trump gives them permission to do so.

If you were to have written of a fictional president and his administration that was half as inept as The Donald and his Administration, no publisher would have touched it due to being too far fetched. Yet, here we are!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Another report regarding the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision: “They have failed to allege that even a single mail-in ballot was fraudulently cast or counted.”

Note to all Bilge Trumpkins: Not only did the Trump legal eagles fail to PROVE fraud... they failed to even ALLEGE fraud before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court!

Evidently even Trump's lawyers believe he is talking out of his fat a$$.
    But Trump has raised $170 million and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Normally, yes. But in the case of pardoning Nixon, Ford pardoned him for any and all crimes he might​ have committed while in office. That is what Trump is hoping for.
    I don't recall any other crimes Nixon even appeared to have committed, and there was no challenge.

It will be interesting, if there are challenged, to see if the courts put some restrictions in place.

You should be thankful. In any other country wannabe dictators are publicly shot or hung by the neck until dead. Your orange dog turd will get a holiday in the big house- and as usual the taxpayers will foot the bill. JayInOz

I don't recall any other crimes Nixon even appeared to have committed, and there was no challenge.

It will be interesting, if there are challenged, to see if the courts put some restrictions in place.
    The idea of pardons for close associates (or himself) might be challenged from the precedents of Charles the II who pardoned the Earl of Danby after he was impeached by Parliament, bearing in mind the pardon powers of the POTUS are based directly upon those of the English monarch. The intent of the pardon power will be put to the test in court I'm sure.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Nixon should have been charged with treason and murder after he scuttled the VN peace talks. Pres Johnson knew he had done it but was too gutless to own up to illegally tapping Nixon's phone.
    Rick

Has our lame duck president had his day in court?

Yes, he has been laughed or sneered out if 26 of them so far, er, 27 counting the Pennsy Supreme Court today.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

#STOP THE COUP

Raising $170K isn't exactly inept.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    The idea of pardons for close associates (or himself) might be challenged from the precedents of Charles the II who pardoned the Earl of Danby after he was impeached by Parliament, bearing in mind the pardon powers of the POTUS are based directly upon those of the English monarch. The intent of the pardon power will be put to the test in court I'm sure.
    I though you had a revolution about that sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Yes... but the Common Law of England as of the time of our separation still forms the basis of our Common Law.

Citable precedent, it is.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

So you didn't go as far from the tree as some maintain……. an elected (or appointed) King who is above the law and holds the old Royal Divine Right.
    So, how is don at curing scrofula?

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    raising $170k isn't exactly inept.
    $170m

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Simplistic. The American war of independence arose from the denial of the rights of Englishmen. Totally English, totally conservative, in that sense. The idea was not to do away with everything English -- on the contrary.

Under the influence of the Enlightenment, it became an effort to generalize those rights to humanity, generally.

The pardon power is a mechanism of government to protect those rights. Whether it's English or not, in the end, is of historical interest.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

-- James Madison, Federalist 55