Thread: Norwegian Pulling/Sailing Boat

Default Norwegian Pulling/Sailing Boat

Hello,
    I've recently acquired a boat said to be of Norwegian design and build (see attached photos). It measures 16ft x 5ft x 20 inches deep from the sheer to top of keel. It has 6 planks per side, three large frames and rang/breasthook in the bow, raking stem and a narrow transom (about 3 feet abeam at the sheer). Its widest beam is just forward of amidships. The boat has no dagger or centerboard but has a lot of deadrise. There is a mast step and partner. It is fastened with bronze screws and rose-head copper rivets/roves. The entire boat seems to be of pine.

On the starboard side of the mast thwart is stamped "MADE IN ...." but the name is obscured. Parts of the last letter or letters are visible and could be an A and a Y.

It came with stern sheet seats, a small bag of hardware, a single piece rudder and a tiller. The gudgeons and pintles are stainless Schaefer manufacture as is a small block I suspect was on the breasthook. Large bronze rings are attached to the after and forward frames (for lifting; a ships boat perhaps?). There are large eyebolts on the mast thwart starboard and port, suggesting shrouds. One interesting feature appears to be a small Tufblox winch head/capstan that may have been affixed to the after seat, on the centerline. There are wooden half cleats through-bolted to the quarter rails starboard and aft.

There is provision for thole pins, and there are flush-mounted bronze oarlock sockets (Wilcox and Crittenden?)

It is in fairly good shape, though the port garboard strake is split right along the line of rivets for about three feet. There is evidence of other repairs --backing blocks-- along some of the planks as well. Any information as to the boat's type, history, and how it was rigged would be great.

Thank You!

Default Re: Norwegian Pulling/Sailing Boat

Some details for example the main frame and the most forward look very much norwegian made.
    So that would be possible.
    Cheers Max

The thumb cleats fwd of the transom knees would possibly indicate a boomless standing lug or similar rig. Nice sheerline!

I think Gavlabåt is the generic term for this type of boat.

Some results of a Google search:

There is is at least some resemblance to your boat.
    Last edited by flo-mo; 11-28-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flo-mo View Post
    I think Gavlabåt is the generic term for this type of boat.

Some results of a Google search:

There is is at least some resemblance to your boat.
    Thank you, this boat is very similar to mine. The rounded skeg is notable, I think. I've only seen it on pilot boats in the collections of San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park. I suppose I should drop a note to the Stavanger Maritime Museum.

Would a spritsail or a lugsail be more appropriate for a Norwegian type, or would it be dependent on use and region?

Thanks all!
    Tad

The midships thwart is laminated, and I suspect the knees are as well. The forward frame/breasthook is what really stood out to me as a Norwegian feature.

Thank you,
    Tad

She is a sweetie, isn't she?

Do you think a lug or sprit would be more appropriate? Or maybe it's dependent on region/use.

Thanks!
    Tad

Quote Originally Posted by Tad Lyford View Post
    She is a sweetie, isn't she?

Do you think a lug or sprit would be more appropriate? Or maybe it's dependent on region/use.

Thanks!
    Tad
    The Scandies did not use a standing lug much, so it ought to be a sprit.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The Scandies did not use a standing lug much, so it ought to be a sprit.
    If the goal is to follow the earlier Scandinavian small boat tradition, I agree--a spritsail is the only way to go.

If the goal is to find the best rig for use, that's much more debatable. However, for sailors who prioritize ease of reducing sail, it's not really much of a debate--a lug rig would win in that case.

If you don't need easy reefing, then a spritsail is fine. I've sailed both, and having done so, much prefer a lug rig for many reasons.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Ask Paul Schweis. He apprenticed in Norway.

Here I am Pat!
    I was in Bjørkedalen, which a little North from Nordfjord, so the traditional hull form in Bjørkedalen is related but not identical to the Nordfjord boats.
    Many builders adapted the old rowing and sailing shapes to carry a transom (gavle), partly for a little more room aft, and also to carry small outboards. Just like the hull you have, the boats retained an after stem that swept up to become the knee to attach the transom. This achieved a water line that was almost double ended. The mid station and forward station shapes were un-changed from the double ended originals.
    The traditional ‘gavlebåt’ were typically much fuller shape, and heavier scantlings to be used for net fishing.

Found this old thread on the forum which has a picture of a similar boat.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...oden-Rana-Boat
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Thank you, all! So, what we have here is a real hybrid between an ancient design and mid-20th century adaptation for an outboard and family sailing. I've not a clue how old the boat is, but Ben indicated that the Rana boats were imported during the 1960s and 70s in fairly large numbers (hundreds? thousands?).

Until I can find a real sailplan for this boat, how much area would be appropriate? Maybe 75 square feet? Seems like a jib might have been set as well, given some of the hardware I've got, so perhaps a little more. I've got a 12' mast but that would look kind of stumpy. Just thinking about proportions, I would guess a mast of about equal length to hull would be suitable (or equal to waterline length?).

I have no experience with sprit rigs, but do with lugs. I agree one is more authentic to the type and region, but the other handier.

It'll need at least 9-foot oars, too. Long narrow blades?

Again, thank you for all the input.

Tad

^ The mast should be short enough to stow in the boat.
    These oars are from a 5-foot beam Shetland model, the same pedigree as your boat.finished 008.jpg
    This is the sail area for an original 16 footer.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thank you. The rig is just the thing I imagined. It'll be a while before I get to that stage; sharpening up the scraper to get the paint off!

Tad

She looks very much like the Finnish Rana boats, they were imported into the Uk & elsewhere in the 1970's, they were very cheaply constructed of pine with iron rivets.
    Most didnt last long & died of rot. I rescued one from a garden & it was in a bad state. Her owner a well known local junkie had died in his arm chair in may & wasnt found until late july. A friend had the unenviable job of clearing the house after the body was removed & asked me to take the boat.
    The sheerstrake was rotted away so we put new ones on made from old floorboards out of a skip.
    Painted & leakproofed with lots of pitch & tar she served for another 2 years & was a good little boat.
    In typical black humour she was nicknamed "The Dead Mans Gig" by one of my friends & the name stuck!
    When she got too far gone we filled her with old timber & took her to a yacht club barbecue on the Ray sandbank where we gave her a vikings funeral.