Thread: Straightening a bent roller Furler.

Default Straightening a bent roller Furler.

A couple of years ago when my Mast broke, my roller furler bent. There are no kinks in it, but it now has a hell of a curve. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts and how that could be straightened?

Default Re: Straightening a bent roller Furler.

What furler is it?

What exactly is bent?

How significant is the bend?

Whats it made of?

How about a picture?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

On the assumption it is ally tube in sections... I would make up a frame with two wooden blocks with hollows to march the diameter, then have a jack half way between them with another block working against them. Then gently pump the jack to straighten the tube, move it along a bit and repeat. I have a big metal frame that I use for curving round and square tube for railings in SS; Your ally tube would be much less effort. The blocks can be made by drilling with a hole saw, then cutting the them in half.

It's an old aluminum Profurl. should have taken a picture today but didn't. It is a very gradual bed. A little more pronounced towards the top third. I might equate it to a quarter moon. We played with it a little today and made some progress by hand. I may try something similar to Andrews suggestion. That'll be tomorrow's project.

Andrew oh, how far apart are the wooden blocks and I'm guessing they are attached by a frame to a lower board that a jack would sit on? I'm trying to think this through

At least the Profurl sections are round in cross section. Should be fairly easy. Be careful around the nodes...the insert that holds the section together could be plastic and act as a bushing on the headstay. You might even clamp your "roller blocks" along your workbench...making them easily adjustable as you work the bend out, then have the "jack" block bear against the wall or a fixed board. Distance will depend on the length of the section you're trying to straighten. I wouldn't try to straighten more than one section at a time I'd think?

Quote Originally Posted by mariner2k View Post
    Andrew oh, how far apart are the wooden blocks and I'm guessing they are attached by a frame to a lower board that a jack would sit on? I'm trying to think this through
    Even if the bend is gentle, I would put them about two feet apart, may be a bit more. Two bits of 4x2 far enough apart for the blocks and jack, with straps (ply?) to hold them at each end. Or as above with the blocks screwed or clamped to a bench. After the first couple of trys, you will be able to judge the 'overbend' required to finish straight.

I use a tougher version for curved handrails, as mentioned. I do have a powered roller bender, but it doesn't work for the varying curve to match a gunnel over several meters.
    A2

thanks