Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have any of you folks had your boat featured

Default Re: Have any of you folks had your boat featured

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    No Tom, I know it because my wife has . She has many of her photos and articles in Classic Boat, a few covers even. She could not get published in WB until we met Matt in Antigua a few years ago. It's just a hobby she began after retiring.
    I do not seek to publish writing or photos except here.
    But HAVING my work or boats ,MY style of work, is not their cuppa.
    I think that might be what Todd alluded to.
    The people they work with is a very exclusive club.
    But cynical...ho yea...I'm cynical most de time.
    Hmm... Again, that hasn't been my experience at all working with WoodenBoat. Some of the pieces I've written for them have featured some very simple designs, and very non-exclusive construction techniques as well. Amateur built, not the "checkbook and credit card" approach to building Todd D mentioned. Quite the opposite, in fact, and I think it does WoodenBoat a disservice to imply otherwise.

In fact, the first article I wrote for them featured a cheaply-built Jim Michalak design that the builder sailed on one Texas 200 and then burned on the beach to showcase the cheap, simple construction. My latest piece featured a homebuilt schooner that featured MDO plywood over a layer of strip planking--a good boat, but neither the boat nor the builders have anything to do with the kind of "exclusive club" that you and Todd seem to believe WoodenBoat restricts itself to.

They really are much more open-minded than that. Will they say "yes" to every proposal? No. No magazine does that. It can be frustrating, but sometimes that's just how freelancing works out.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Well, that's pretty cynical.

What WoodenBoat is interested in, in my experience, is far less prescriptive and doctrinaire than you seem to assume. It's always easier to assume an air of cynicism than it is to make the attempt to persuade an editor that what you have to say is worth their time. And that you have the skills to say it in a way that would be worthy of publication.

Every single writer ever published in WoodenBoat has had to go through that process. Those who gave up before they succeeded? Their work doesn't appear in print.

Tom
    My comment reflects why I dropped my subscription to Wooden Boat. My impression was that there were way too many articles about people who hired a restoration done. I have no need to publish in Wooden Boat. I did a four year keel up restoration of my boat that included replacing a good deal of the keel, replacing around 20 planks, reframing, repowering, building a completely new interior, building a new cabin house and rebuilding the decks. With the exception of physically lifting the new diesel onto the boat (I hired a crane to do that), I did 100% of the work myself. The boat is a 1936 carvel planked raised deck cruiser. Pics below from July of this year. This is the level of work I do. I replace ALL bad wood on the boat every year and also repaint repaint every year. If I EVER feel the need to hire work done, I will sell the boat first.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

For your information, I have had more than 100 articles published in peer reviewed scientific journals. I have also been an editor of a scientific journal. I know a great deal about the process.
    Last edited by Todd D; 11-27-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    For your information, I have had more than 100 articles published in peer reviewed scientific journals. I have also been an editor of a scientific journal. I know a great deal about the process.
    That's great--you know the peer review process. I write and review for journals as well, which is not quite the same as commercial publication. But your earlier comments misrepresent WoodenBoat by implying they don't publish or feature amateur construction. They do. To say otherwise is neither fair nor accurate.

One of the primary reasons that they don't feature enough articles of the type you prefer might be that the people, like you, who do the work, don't bother to put together a proposal with good writing and photos and submit it for their consideration.

Another may be that they have decided to serve a wider audience, some of whom are also interested in seeing the kinds of restoration work that professional builders and yards take on.

So again, subscribe to ​WoodenBoat or not--that's your choice. But don't expect to make inaccurate claims and post them publicly without pushback.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

To be fair, I have never bothered the magazine with any of my dreck.

Itís never been their decision to not feature my boats.

WI Tom,
    My interest in wooden boats is working on them. I have zero interest in seeing the result of a professional restoration. Since Wooden Boat publishes too many of the latter type of articles I have no interest in Wooden Boat. Wooden Boat made its choice and I have made mine. Choosing not to waste my time writing an article for a magazine I have zero interest in is hardly a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    WI Tom,
    My interest in wooden boats is working on them. I have zero interest in seeing the result of a professional restoration. Since Wooden Boat publishes too many of the latter type of articles I have no interest in Wooden Boat. Wooden Boat made its choice and I have made mine. Choosing not to waste my time writing an article for a magazine I have zero interest in is hardly a fault.
    No, but making inaccurate statements about that magazine, on a free forum provided by the publishers of that magazine, might reasonably be considered to be so.

And if not a fault, it at least seems like poor style to criticize a magazine for (perhaps) not receiving enough proposals for articles you'd like them to publish for your edification and enjoyment, while you yourself are not willing to do the work of writing such articles, either.

Apparently your "zero interest" comment does not apply to the online discussions WoodenBoat provides. Seems a little ironic.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Tom, I think you really like writing for WB and are loyal to them because you've had a great experience. Not the worst insult anyone could ever send your way. It's also okay to criticize WoodenBoat magazine on this forum. It's a great resource. But it's free to post here, which means you and I are the product. They can quit selling our posts for ad space anytime they want too.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.