I don't object to the creation myth per se. It has no necessary moral implications. What I object to is the homocentrism, which is perhaps the most pernicious religious doctrine ever, and that's saying something. Eating babies is bad but it can't compare in terms of scale.

I like St. Francis of Assisi. The Buddha of Christianity, the Jesus of all life.

On 29 November 1979, Pope John Paul II declared Saint Francis the Patron Saint of Ecology. On 28 March 1982, John Paul II said that Saint Francis' love and care for creation was a challenge for contemporary Catholics and a reminder "not to behave like dissident predators where nature is concerned, but to assume responsibility for it, taking all care so that everything stays healthy and integrated, so as to offer a welcoming and friendly environment even to those who succeed us." The same Pope wrote on the occasion of the World Day of Peace, 1 January 1990, the saint of Assisi "offers Christians an example of genuine and deep respect for the integrity of creation . . . " He went on to make the point that: "As a friend of the poor who was loved by God's creatures, Saint Francis invited all of creation animals, plants, natural forces, even Brother Sun and Sister Moon to give honor and praise to the Lord. The poor man of Assisi gives us striking witness that when we are at peace with God we are better able to devote ourselves to building up that peace with all creation which is inseparable from peace among all peoples."

It is a popular practice on his feast day, 4 October, for people to bring their pets and other animals to church for a blessing.