Thread: I have to tell you something, because my wife couldn’t care less

Default I have to tell you something, because my wife couldn’t care less

Today I figured out how to change the rotation direction on an old squirrel cage fan motor. It’s now going to power my garage-sale Monkey Ward lathe.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: I have to tell you something, because my wife couldn’t care less

well, she doesn't know what she's missing!!!

I thought this thread was going to be about piles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Today I figured out how to change the rotation direction on an old squirrel cage fan motor. It’s now going to power my garage-sale Monkey Ward lathe.
    I for one am waiting for pictures of the alleged lathe.

Beats the alternative!

It’s worse when they pretend to care. Sincerity is the hardest thing to fake.

I'd be careful.. a lathe is a squirrelley thing to to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    I for one am waiting for pictures of the alleged lathe.
    CEC16A32-A8B6-4058-9858-1091B744BF19.jpg
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I'll be interested to see how you set this up.

I picked up that same lathe at a yard sale many years ago - no motor, no stand, and probably a few other bits missing.

With retirement on the horizon, I've been thinking again about how to make it operational.

- John

Can you get actual monkeys to do the turning, and real squirrels to power the lathe?

Now that piques my interest.

Exactly. Pics of the animals or it didn't happen.

(Looks great, and I'm jealous )
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

That board it is resting on has some real 'character'

Will you be juggling with your lathe chisels?
    Steve Martinsen

You didn't need to reverse the motor, though that's a good-on-you thing. You coulda just learned to stand on the other side and do left-handed turning. Something to brag about at the craft fair.

Kidding, right?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

I'm getting ready to finish my raised panel assembly for the porch, and intend to haul my lathe to the driveway to turn new stiles for the porch railings. I did the originals with a moulding head on the saw. Passable but crude in number-two-or-better Doug Fir. To borrow a phrase from Bob Smalser, they made my teeth itch. There are around two dozen. I'll probably turn them to a profile and make thirty before I get the twenty I need to match.

Turning can be fun. It can be a meditative experience, getting in the groove, as it were.

I like to listen to old sixties folk rock while I'm making spindles; The Byrds 'To Everything There Is A Season, Turn, Turn, Turn.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    Will you be juggling with your lathe chisels?
    If so, please don't post the "after" pics.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    You didn't need to reverse the motor, though that's a good-on-you thing. You coulda just learned to stand on the other side and do left-handed turning. Something to brag about at the craft fair.

Kidding, right?
    Not electrically, anyway.

Just turn the thing end for end.
    Rattling the teacups.

My Delta bandsaw came from the factory with the motor wired to run in reverse. It took me a while to figure out why it was cutting so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    My Delta bandsaw came from the factory with the motor wired to run in reverse. It took me a while to figure out why it was cutting so badly.
    It's your spouse that's the doctor, right?

Somewhere there is someone who operates a lathe of this kind by holding the tools on the bottom side of the turning work, thereby dumping the shavings at his or her feet. Which is why I never wear sandals.

Did I mention hauling the lathe out to the driveway?

I think I'll try to do it from the cockpit, the space between the lathe, tablesaw and bandsaw.