Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Done gone

Default Re: Done gone

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Aha, I think those two eyes in front are obstacle sensors*. But I hope they have more range than the common obstacle sensors that are now in many vehicle back bumpers, I think those are ultrasonic. Any indication of maximum obstacle avoidance speed?

* Unless they are night-vision/infrared light sources for the camera.
    Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS) 3.0 utilizes an advanced mapping technology for smooth following and reliable obstacle avoidance in complex scenarios. Obstacle avoidance performance and automatic flight planning has dramatically improved compared to previous generations, increasing safety and providing more options.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The video seems to imply obstacle/proximity sensors on the underside and in front. On the underside, that matches with the statement "... advanced mapping technology for smooth following..." But the closing speed for altitude is generally not as fast as forward. But it's easy to have enough altitude to equal closing on obstacles. So those sensors may have good range. But it would be good to know exactly. "... reliable obstacle avoidance in complex scenarios...", yeah that's a much taller order for small but still important obstacles; A telephone wire will crash that as much as a building.

Like I said, I would recommend some benign tests that won't ruin your drone. Big open field, set up some obstacles that it will mow right over it it doesn't avoid them. Soda straws. Sheet of cardboard. Etc. See how it works. I'll be excited and overjoyed if it really does a great job of obstacle avoidance. And wonder how they do it. Is there an online user forum with others' experiences with that model?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I saw a couple of review videos when they first came out, and thought the tracking/avoidance aspect was pretty damn cool. There is some serious data processing going on to make all that happen.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    The video seems to imply obstacle/proximity sensors on the underside and in front. On the underside, that matches with the statement "... advanced mapping technology for smooth following..." But the closing speed for altitude is generally not as fast as forward. But it's easy to have enough altitude to equal closing on obstacles. So those sensors may have good range. But it would be good to know exactly. "... reliable obstacle avoidance in complex scenarios...", yeah that's a much taller order for small but still important obstacles; A telephone wire will crash that as much as a building.

Like I said, I would recommend some benign tests that won't ruin your drone. Big open field, set up some obstacles that it will mow right over it it doesn't avoid them. Soda straws. Sheet of cardboard. Etc. See how it works. I'll be excited and overjoyed if it really does a great job of obstacle avoidance. And wonder how they do it. Is there an online user forum with others' experiences with that model?
    So I've been doing the deep dive of the Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS) 3.0 lots of YouTube test videos it has forward, backward and down facing sensors ( not top or side that one is TWICE as expensive) . Although the (APAS) 3.0 can distinguish between small leaves and branches deep in the woods while it still tracks the subject on a mountain bike. It's truly IMPRESSIVE tech.

For the $$$$ extra money I'm still gonna be careful. I am 100% positive that with (APAS) 3.0 I would have never lost the last drone backing into the tree. I would not have gone on a 3 hr hike through the woods with the (APAS) 3.0 and the DJI Oculus controller connection. That said I'm going to be very very careful but this is like wearing a belts, suspenders and a helmet
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-27-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    I saw a couple of review videos when they first came out, and thought the tracking/avoidance aspect was pretty damn cool. There is some serious data processing going on to make all that happen.

Pete
    Maybe I'm over-complicating things. Maybe for following it just maintains a safe altitude well above all utility poles, and integrates with google maps or such to follow the vehicle path. But that is still some processing power. But out in the fields, things may get more complex. Depends how well it senses trees and wires and such. Not my forte, I'm not familiar with the sensor technology.

EDIT: I see your new post, Joe. That sounds great. And I believe in a belt-and-suspenders approach.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

Pete
    FYI - DJI, which stands for Da-Jiang Innovations (大疆创新; 'Great Frontier Innovations'), is a Chinese technology company headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong .

A little scary with all that processing power.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    FYI - DJI, which stands for Da-Jiang Innovations (大疆创新; 'Great Frontier Innovations'), is a Chinese technology company headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong .

A little scary with all that processing power.
    I know! The Chinese probably have a really good closeup of a certain SoCal palm tree now, geo tagged for the invasion.
    Honestly, I'd be far more worried about Apple/Google/Samsung/Facebook

Pete

It arrived

I just registered it with the FAA

The APAS which is not only does it avoid but uses AI to move around obstacles and continue and active tracking to follow objects. It’s Really freaky. Very Boston Robotics t will follow the bike, stand up paddle board, Vespa, hike. Super cool. I tested it by trying to ram it into a fence and a tree and through branches and it can sense small leaves and small branches and move through them on its own

...and I'm still messing around (rarely now...) with Kite cams!

NEW DRONE !!!! Unboxing & First Flight Vlog

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

So you switched knives? That isn't a Ken Onion Leek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    So you switched knives? That isn't a Ken Onion Leek.
    I have several Kershaw's thats the largest one.

Cool drone. I watched your video on YouTube. Looks like it costs a pretty penny.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

No Smart Controller?

Looks like a blast, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    No Smart Controller?

Looks like a blast, enjoy.
    Yea its the Oculus smart Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yea its the Oculus smart Controller