Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 101112 ... LastLast

Thread: If Not Now, When?

Default Re: If Not Now, When?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    That's why they invented files?

OK - let's face it, I'm not a real machinist...
    Truth is, I’ve been doing some “handing” of some metal parts, and thought to myself, “Idiot, go learn to use that thing over there, and this would be done!”

The time for books is long over, and although it ain’t time to go crazy, I finally decided to cut some crap. Well, and I found that piece of metal when I was finishing cleaning up some old junk piles.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    That's why they invented files?

OK - let's face it, I'm not a real machinist...
    Shoot, Bro, I’m a little lathe to the parting. Feel like a tool. I suppose we should give the pun thing a rest? Put it to bed? Chuck it?

Okay. That should cut it.

lathe work is extremely satisfying rob. i think you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    lathe work is extremely satisfying rob. i think you'll enjoy it.
    God no. It’s horrific.

I had so much anxiety about turning that damned thing on, what with all the .00000000001 and all that. I am a by-guess-and-by-gods type; I’m a rough cut, then kerf to fit type.

However, I have this baller ass lathe I’ve been sitting on for too long. True, I DID spend a bit of time giving her the once over with a new paint job and etc. but still.

Now that Quad bought his dumb car, I’ll be able to stand around in the garop a lot more, just being “there”, so I may as well make stuff, too.

Actually, I was making some bits for a faux switch and thought to myself, “You know, dummy, this would have been done already, if you’d used the lathe...”

Just think of all the badass steampunk stuff you can pile onto that poor old Beetle.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    God no. It’s horrific.

I had so much anxiety about turning that damned thing on, what with all the .00000000001 and all that. I am a by-guess-and-by-gods type; I’m a rough cut, then kerf to fit type.

However, I have this baller ass lathe I’ve been sitting on for too long. True, I DID spend a bit of time giving her the once over with a new paint job and etc. but still.

Now that Quad bought his dumb car, I’ll be able to stand around in the garop a lot more, just being “there”, so I may as well make stuff, too.

Actually, I was making some bits for a faux switch and thought to myself, “You know, dummy, this would have been done already, if you’d used the lathe...”
    you're over thinking it. running the lathe is just as much (or more) art than anything else. just get a pile of scrap and start playing with speed and feed. you can make all kinds of cool stuff without using calipers, you just spend more time checking the fits.

you can make wonderful fitted and knurled brass knobs to dress up those spoons too...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Just think of all the badass steampunk stuff you can pile onto that poor old Beetle.
    Pssssh. There enough plain old grinding, sanding, and welding to be done. He wants to save every piece he can, and that means there will be some serious body work.

As we’ve dig into it, we’ve discovered “the accident”; badly “repaired” damage to the front apron and the replacement of the rear. Badly. True, the deck lid IS bent a bit, and needs a bit of shrinking in a few spots and some crack welded, but the entire apron is welded on crooked and angled.

Quad is shocked, but not dismayed. He chose this car specially because he’d have few qualms about major surgery, and wanted to DO major surgery. He’s having a blast.

Me? I’m having a great time watching a dummy have fun.

Takes a lot of engineering to cram so much bad temper into a little package. But the geniuses took it as a challenge ..

Son's fiancée had an aged chihuahua till a couple of years back. Which was so ornery that it didn't even like the doting and besotted girl herself...
    Dear God, I HATE Chihuahuas.
    Rattling the teacups.

Sounds wonderful, honestly.

The first real bits will likely be bits for a go kart. The damned pedal car is IN the tunnel again, and I think the light this time is the end, not another train.

After that, I’ve just got to do a go-kart. A cone clutch and two or three speed chain drive transmission would be WAY easier to swing if I could work this thing, eh?

Of course, I am not, at all, unfamiliar with turning objects. Just making metal cutting “blades” and working the wonky dials and remembering which of the 11,817 levers moves which part.

Speaking of greeblies.

3FA04B1A-ADE7-477B-AC1C-7435A84B738D.jpg
    Power cells. Or, pneumatic valve parts, if you gotta be THAT guy...

3CFA0697-9ECA-4FDD-92FD-62F69A6BE387.jpg
    The “switch”. It’s a big nail, center drilled with a a spring and BB in it. The BB indexes in the wee holes drilled in a piece of aluminum.

Another plate of the same gold aluminum will be added with some switches to nowhere. Balance, in all things, especially greeblies.

It is almost time to paint in earnest.

ETA: no, the switch, nor the switch plate are done. All rough, yet.

Speaking of greeblies.

3FA04B1A-ADE7-477B-AC1C-7435A84B738D.jpg
    Power cells. Or, pneumatic valve parts, if you gotta be THAT guy...

3CFA0697-9ECA-4FDD-92FD-62F69A6BE387.jpg
    The “switch”. It’s a big nail, center drilled with a a spring and BB in it. The BB indexes in the wee holes drilled in a piece of aluminum.

Another plate of the same gold aluminum will be added with some switches to nowhere. Balance, in all things, especially greeblies.

ETA: no, the switch, nor the switch plate are done. All rough, yet.
    it's a SPACE GUN rob.... CLOCK THOSE SCREWS.

The importance of being ... painted?

You think Ernie will stay still long enough for the paint to dry?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    it's a SPACE GUN rob.... CLOCK THOSE SCREWS.
    It's called "indexing" and to do it with random screws requires facing the back of the head, counterboring/facing the surface, stretching the fastener or making your thread leads and slots all from the same index. With wood you can just stress the wood until the hole is almost stripped (reducing the holding power significantly) To achieve it in metal, without indexing the thread lead to the screw slot, stuff will break.

The importance of being ... painted?

You think Ernie will stay still long enough for the paint to dry?
    Oh, man. No. Just hell NO! Never ever again will I ever sit through that. Ever. I will straighten Oedipus my own eyes out. I’ll eat my own ears from the inside out.

Nooooooooo!

Fasteners are a VERY touchy subject in Star Dork land. Any cross headed fastener is an absolute NO-NO, and people are very mixed on other types.

A flat headed brass screw is kind of pushing it, actually. Some of this metal will be further disguised or altered to conceal the actual composition, as canon materials aren’t necessarily those we’d find here.

Which, DOES allow a certain leeway when making up such items; even with very specific demands. The grain pattern and color of the wood for this stock have changed, for example, since this white coat looked so neat. It was only supposed to be used to help contour, but when you work with no plan, it’s easy to change plans.

Some of the oldest machines from the beginning of the revolution were fitted with this style fastener.
    Because slots are/were difficult...

4050DCC1-3706-4668-99C7-D3128331FE70.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Some of the oldest machines from the beginning of the revolution were fitted with this style fastener.
    Because slots are/were difficult...

4050DCC1-3706-4668-99C7-D3128331FE70.jpeg
    Oh, yes... brilliant idea! Easy as hell to modify an existing fastener, too...

Sheesh. Just make 'em round & tighten with vice grips.

No indexing necessary!

[ducks & runs]
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Fillister head screws are nice

78D6B0D3-C04A-4578-918A-B3547DEDEA16.jpeg

Oh, and wouldn’t THEY be easy as hell to make; if only I had a lathe...

ETA: slow down, Mr. Wizard. I meant to cut down the head of a bolt or something and cut a slot. I’m not even up to cutting threads on this beastie, yet.

They can be easily replicated using a hex head bolt, and if you make a female threaded fixture to hold them in the chuck they will be automatically "indexed" so you can cut "clocked" slots.

More than once I have just chucked up a nut and used that as a fixture. No Dreading involved...
    Cut the slots with a hacksaw, with another fixture.

They can be easily replicated using a hex head bolt, and if you make a female threaded fixture to hold them in the chuck they will be automatically "indexed" so you can cut "clocked" slots.

More than once I have just chucked up a nut and used that as a fixture. No Dreading involved...
    Cut the slots with a hacksaw, with another fixture.
    So, it WAS a good idea?!

I am definitely doing this.

A6CB6F2C-CAA7-42D1-80DB-44C40E560F23.jpg
    See?! Half way done. Actually, this was just to try it. I used an old steel bolt.

Whee!

your palm print are belong to us

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    your palm print are belong to us
    Now you can break into my secret lab!

Weirdly lovely, as usual.

The parachute guy is saying, “What an EXCELLENT view!”

E0331325-3439-4F22-8A12-80A4884CE231.jpg
    Oh. A Doodle. How original...

So now that you're doing these almost exclusively with stylus and tablet rather than ink and paper or board ... do you miss the tactile feel?

I understand a whole lot of the benefits of the electronic tools, and there's no question about whether one can actually "do art" or not with them - they're just different tools. But a lot of books, I still prefer in paper - and the ones I've bought more recently I've actually sought out hardcovers.

In my recent noodling around in the shop, I'm just loving using an antique wooden plane to cut beads onto the stuff I've been making. Things would look better - more crisp - if I'd fired up the router, but we all know that the eerily whining router wants to eat my fingers, and I just love the sound of the plane iron moving across the wood, and the look and feel of the shavings.

I guess you do that with spoons and pedal cars and antique lathes ... so maybe the pixelated way of doing visual art is more like how I type rather than write longhand...

I hate it. It feels like sliding a piece of plastic across a piece of glass.

Worse, because it’s digital, everyone assumes it’s somehow computer generated, so when I DO draw real stuff, it has an asterisk.

It is a neat tool I will not be replacing when it’s time comes.

can you vary the width of a line like you can with a pencil or nib?

I hate it. It feels like sliding a piece of plastic across a piece of glass.

Worse, because it’s digital, everyone assumes it’s somehow computer generated, so when I DO draw real stuff, it has an asterisk.

It is a neat tool I will not be replacing when it’s time comes.
    My feeling about acoustic pianos too.