Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirit/alcohol stoves..??? Is anyone still producing them?

Default Spirit/alcohol stoves..??? Is anyone still producing them?

It looks like the Dometic Origo alcohol stoves are no longer available and I’m struggling to find an alternative - is anyone aware of a decent and currently available single or double burner stove/cook top? I don’t need a grill or oven.

Installing LPG is proving to be a lot more problematic than I had expected, requiring a licensed gas fitter to install 1.5 metres of copper line from the bottle to the galley (I had thought I could just use a flexible rated LPG hose for that length).

The two alternatives are a spirit stove or a basic portable camp stove and of the two I’d prefer the spirit stove.....IF I can find some options.

And I’m happy to ship one in from OS if there’s no supplier in Australia

Edited to add: I’ve just found these here in Oz and am waiting to hear back from the supplier - I’ve never heard of them before and can’t find any reviews so am a little hesitant:
    https://www.bonetticampers.com/acces...-burner-stove/
    Last edited by Larks; 11-17-2020 at 12:11 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: Spirit/alcohol stoves..??? Is anyone still producing them?

Took a quick look on the net. The only spirit cooktops I found were used, on eBay or surplus sites.

If there's a business that breaks up yachts, caravans, etc. for salvage, that might be a place to look. Or you could pin up some cards at the local marinas and hope that someone is converting from a spirit to a propane cooker.

In any event, good luck.

There are two being advertised here, both supposedly new/unused one a single burner and one a double burner but they’re both wanting $800 for the blessed things - the singles were retailing for $260.00 here 12 months ago when I looked at them and, from memory, the doubles were about $425.00.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Looked at the Bonetti cookers. A few thoughts—

Not pressurised. It's an open fuel cup like a Trangia, filled with some sort of fiber to even out the burning. The heat control is a lever that opens or closes the hole the flame comes through: pretty basic setup. It claims a one-hour burn time, which is likely at the lowest setting. Boiling water for pasta, it probably lasts half that long. You'd have to let the fuel cup cool before refilling and restarting. Given the price, if I was set on a spirit cooker, I'd probably get a couple Trangia burners, fairly cheap, and either use their stands or fiddle up some sort of cooktop using an old baking pan (to catch fuel spills) and a grill. You could buy three burners, for longer cook times, so you have a cool one ready.

Here's a hanging stove using a Trangia burner and a cheap saucepan. Crude, but it works a treat. Used it for snow camping and ice climbs. The draft and reflectivity give a boiling time of about 8 minutes per liter. After which it goes out.

Meanwhile I’ve come up with a couple more second hand leads IF they’re still available:

looks like it could clean up OK for $150.00

But a bit more hopefully an as new (used once) Origo 3000 for $350 IF it’s still available - I found it advertised in quite an obscure place with no indication of how old the add is.

Fingers crossed as that or the single burner Origo 1500 were what I’d originally planned for and it would be ideal. I'd never made up my mind between the single of the double - it was always pending space available, but if this is available I’ll make space available.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Looked at the Bonetti cookers. A few thoughts—

Not pressurised. It's an open fuel cup like a Trangia, filled with some sort of fiber to even out the burning. The heat control is a lever that opens or closes the hole the flame comes through: pretty basic setup. It claims a one-hour burn time, which is likely at the lowest setting. Boiling water for pasta, it probably lasts half that long. You'd have to let the fuel cup cool before refilling and restarting. Given the price, if I was set on a spirit cooker, I'd probably get a couple Trangia burners, fairly cheap, and either use their stands or fiddle up some sort of cooktop using an old baking pan (to catch fuel spills) and a grill. You could buy three burners, for longer cook times, so you have a cool one ready.

Here's a hanging stove using a Trangia burner and a cheap saucepan. Crude, but it works a treat. Used it for snow camping and ice climbs. The draft and reflectivity give a boiling time of about 8 minutes per liter. After which it goes out.
    Thanks Chip, that’s really interesting advice as I’d never thought of anything like that before - I have an old two burner LPG stove top that I could probably modify to hold a couple of Trangia’s. I’ll have a bit of a play with that idea as an option
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

We had an Origo, but were not happy with it. It didn't seem to cook as quickly as a Maxie, filling is fiddlier, and the cups that fit over the burners to slow or stop evaporation when the unit is not used are impossible to find. I have an Origo Heat Pail heater which uses the same burners and it always seems a bit smelly.

We found a nice Maxie for about $250, I think, but we had to wait for it to come up. I bought another earlier for about the same price to replace one that was damaged. We are very happy with Maxies.

I'd rather install a metho/mixed fuel camping stove along the lines that Chip says, perhaps something like this ( https://k2.com.au/products/msr-whisp...SABEgJQyfD_BwE )

than use the Origo. We have kept it to use in a waterfront tiny house we want to build when it's being used by people who could let a Maxie overflow.

We were intending to buy an Origo stove/oven unit, remove the stove and fit the Maxie metho stove on top. When we went to order the Origo we were told by all suppliers that the whole Origo line had been crushed without warning, so apart from the fact that there are probably no new ones in existence, spares may be problematic. In the end we modified a Maxie kero oven using the fuel canister from the MRS camping stove in the link, and with the Maxie stove welded on top. It's working well and shows that there's some potential in using camping stoves. The MSR technical guy warned that because of some legal action after backyard mods, they will no longer sell people stuff if they know it's going to be used in a modified form so discretion is recommended.
    Last edited by Chris249; 11-17-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I'd rather install a metho/mixed fuel camping stove along the lines that Chip says, perhaps something like this ( https://k2.com.au/products/msr-whisp...SABEgJQyfD_BwE )
    The MSR WhisperLite burns pressurised benzene, kero, and unleaded petrol. Very dangerous on a boat.

I'd rather use a gas cartridge cooker like this:

I have a couple and they're great, but might have gone out of production. I've got a case of the gas cartridges, which will last my lifetime. When the PowerMax cartridge was discontinued, you could get an adapter to allow the use of standard propane/butane cartridges in liquid-feed mode. I've got one (used to write gear reviews). But they might be hard to find now.

Last edited by Chip-skiff; 11-17-2020 at 01:39 AM.

makes me glad I grabbed my Origo a couple of years ago. New used (opened box, never cooked on) for $200.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Strange, you can still buy them over here Larks

https://www.compass24.nl/comfort/pan...le_products_nl

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Strange, you can still buy them over here Larks

https://www.compass24.nl/comfort/pan...le_products_nl
    Ooh - and not a bad price either.

Edited as I found the English translation - thanks Dutch.
    Last edited by Larks; 11-17-2020 at 02:45 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

If you are set on burning alcohol, then the king of the old fashioned multi fuel stoves was the Optimus 111T which could burn kerosene, gasoline or (with a new jet and air restrictor tube) alcohol.

Meanwhile, searching for spiritus kocher gets a few..

https://www.compass24.de/komfort/pan...3000-2-flammig
    Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 11-17-2020 at 02:25 AM.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    If you are set on burning alcohol, then the king of the old fashioned multi fuel stoves was the Optimus 111T which could burn kerosene, gasoline or (with a new jet and air restrictor tube) alcohol.

Meanwhile, searching for spiritus kocher gets a few..

https://www.compass24.de/komfort/pan...3000-2-flammig
    Yes, that’s the one that Dutch linked above - I’m waiting to see if they’ll ship to me in Oz.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I have a brass pump up pressure type stove, "Primus" I think. takes kero I think, would need new leather washers in the pump.

Yours if you want it,

Let me know and i will make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    The MSR WhisperLite burns pressurised benzene, kero, and unleaded petrol. Very dangerous on a boat.

I'd rather use a gas cartridge cooker like this:

I have a couple and they're great, but might have gone out of production. I've got a case of the gas cartridges, which will last my lifetime. When the PowerMax cartridge was discontinued, you could get an adapter to allow the use of standard propane/butane cartridges in liquid-feed mode. I've got one (used to write gear reviews). But they might be hard to find now.

Pressurised kero stoves are pretty popular. My mother's liveaboard had one, as do many others, with no issues.

I do agree that personally, I'd rather not have a pressure kero stove. We've had no issues in the short time we've had a pressurised kero oven, which is not used as often as the non-pressure metho stove and which doesn't get used at times of minimal available brain function, ie when you are making the first coffee of the morning.

I think gas is actually illegal here unless it's a certified installation, and the certification alone is expensive.
    Last edited by Chris249; 11-17-2020 at 03:35 AM.

I bided my time on Ebay and bought a double and a single Origo. They do come up in good nick if you are patient.

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/spirit-stoves/

On the other hand, maybe not. Does my head in when places keep advertising stuff they don't have any more.

Pete
    I have one troll on ignore

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/spirit-stoves/

On the other hand, maybe not. Does my head in when places keep advertising stuff they don't have any more.

Pete
    Yes I saw them and got my hopes up but when you go onto their site and they show “Discontinued” that is annoying
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post
    I have a brass pump up pressure type stove, "Primus" I think. takes kero I think, would need new leather washers in the pump.

Yours if you want it,

Let me know and i will make it happen.
    Thanks Barney, very much appreciated but I’ll give it a miss, I can’t stomach the smell of kero stoves down below anymore, reminds me too much of being very seasick during a Sydney Hobart (blowing 75 knots plus so I had reasonable reason to be crook).
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

From the Compass 24 guys - bugger...

"thank you for your E-Mail.

Unfortunately we cannot offer delivery to Australia.

Best regards

Compass Customer Service"
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks Barney, very much appreciated but I’ll give it a miss, I can’t stomach the smell of kero stoves down below anymore, reminds me too much of being very seasick during a Sydney Hobart (blowing 75 knots plus so I had reasonable reason to be crook).
    If it's capable of burning on kerosene, it may also be capable of using naphtha (lighter fluid, white gas, "Coleman fuel"), and that burns much cleaner, just a tiny bit sooty when priming. The air/fuel ratios are close.

It's much harder to have a stove that is capable of the above fuels, and also alcohol, because the air/fuel ratios are much different.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    From the Compass 24 guys - bugger...

"thank you for your E-Mail.

Unfortunately we cannot offer delivery to Australia

Best regards

Compass Customer Service"
    That's unfortunate Larks, I checked what sending a parcel like this from the Netherlands to Oz would cost, I'm afraid that would be around €290,- ( ex taxes etc.) so it more than doubles the price.
    I don't think that's an economic option for you, correct?

There are, in addition to the Trangias and their ilk, numerous plans available on line for making your own out of a beer can.
    My first thought on reading the OP was concern that copper might work harden and crack in an environment like a boat with constant motion/vibration all around.

Take a look at Cleancook stoves, no idea how you would purchase one though.
    http://cleancook.com/productsstove-sales/

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    That's unfortunate Larks, I checked what sending a parcel like this from the Netherlands to Oz would cost, I'm afraid that would be around €290,- ( ex taxes etc.) so it more than doubles the price.
    I don't think that's an economic option for you, correct?
    That does make it somewhat uneconomical but I really appreciate you checking for me Dutch.
    cheers, Greg.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    My first thought on reading the OP was concern that copper might work harden and crack in an environment like a boat with constant motion/vibration all around.
    Yes, I’m not particularly comfortable with it either but I’ve managed to get a hold of a licensed gas fitter who’ll come up and give me a quote and an idea if what’s required. I expect that the cost of installation will be substantial for the sake of a 1500mm gas line and beyond what’s worth doing.

Something like this Coleman propane stove is looking more and more viable.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I hate Maxies. Life's too short to wait all day for the water to boil!! I installed a gas locker, stove and lines on Masina then got a gasfitter (plumber) to check it all and certify it. Once installed properly, gas is so simple. I haven't yet installed a gas detector but I will.

But those portable, canister stoves are good. The only problem with them that I know about is that the canisters rust quickly. So, keep them in a Pelican case or some other airtight container and just bring the canister out when you need it. Between trips, put the canister back in the case. I think that's pretty safe.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

We really like our Origo. It appears to be a very slow heat, but I still manage to burn my meat, and have pots boil over.

But it's just a SS canister with rock-wool insulation stuffed it. I don't see why you couldn't make what you want. We have retrofitted our 1946 Shipmate (which had pressurized kerosene primus burners) with origo canisters. Here's the one I put in the oven last July -- I improvised hold-down clamps.

IMG_7326 sm.jpg

But my next boat will have a simple Coleman 2-burner propane cooker, with a portable 5lb bottle.

s-l300.jpg

I used this rig for 9 seasons in the MacGregor 26. When finished cooking, I disconnected the propane bottle (quite small and portable) and put it in the outside-vented locker in the cockpit.

Quite a few of my friends love their Trangia stoves, I bought one a while back and its now mounted in my new build, I've tried it on the bench a few times and it works well if a little slow.
    But then, with fairly light cookware, my propane cooker tends to run hot enough to burn the pots so the alcohol cooker is a good compromise.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

D87171B2-511B-4F25-8A21-C9A0D30BFABD.jpg

57076D2E-4EC1-4D58-A151-7A2E9DEE4DE1.jpg

This is what I use when I camp from the boat. It “self-primes” and the wee holes around the rim shoot little flames, just like a regular burner. Just fill it in the center, light it, and in a few moments, whoosh, wee jets of flame!

To “simmer” a use a diffuser, but mostly I use it to boil water or fry somesuch.

Not excellent, but really cheap, and reliable. Stuff can be stuffed into the well to absorb alcohol and keep it from sloshing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    If it's capable of burning on kerosene, it may also be capable of using naphtha (lighter fluid, white gas, "Coleman fuel"), and that burns much cleaner, just a tiny bit sooty when priming. The air/fuel ratios are close.
    That "may" is crucial - feeding a classic primus kero stove gasoline or naptha - is for idiots and adrenaline junkies.

If the stove looks anything like this

Then the issue is not whether you can burn naptha - it will burn - but how to turn it off?

Fueled on Kerosene - you turn it off by opening the air bleed screw - and venting the pressurised air thius cutting the supply of kero to the burner head.
    Fueled with anything more volatile - opening the screw vents flammable vapour - right next to the flame.

First secure your line of retreat.

For safety on a boat, especially in a cabin, it's best to avoid any sort of pressure-tank stove that requires priming (i.e. lighting a puddle of liquid fuel) to start. Benzene/white gas stoves are the most dangerous. I've had a Svea 123 blow up (bad gasket) and have evacuated wilderness campers who tried to cook under cover during storms and managed to set their tents afire. They had burns both from the blowup and from melting synthetic fabric. Nasty!

Alcohol/spirit stoves are safer because the fuel is not as volatile, but are still subject to tipovers. But I do like the simplicity. If your setup allows the fuel reservoir to heat up enough to boil the meths, they can blow up (DAMHIKT). Here's a pair of pierced coil spirit stoves from my extensive messing about.

Here's a pierced coil stove in a windscreen/potholder:

I think that overall the safest and most useful portable stove is a cartridge type with a mix of propane and butane and/or isobutane.

I agree. But a properly installed LPG system is also very safe.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    There are, in addition to the Trangias and their ilk, numerous plans available on line for making your own out of a beer can.
    Camp stoves are a hobby for me. I also used to test and review stoves, along with other camping gear, and have quite a collection.

Here are some cookers I built using beer cans, cat food cans, etc. Fun messing about with such things.

Last edited by Chip-skiff; 11-17-2020 at 02:59 PM.