Thread: Can you add Copper Naphthenate to an oil primer?

Default Can you add Copper Naphthenate to an oil primer?

I am looking to use this between faying surfaces bolting the stem/knee/ keel together. Wondering if this is kosher or not. Google and searches on this sight didnít offer much insight. Thanks!

Default Re: Can you add Copper Naphthenate to an oil primer?

Sure. We can only get zinc napthenate here, but it should be compatible.

Mix up a small batch in a clear glass jar and see if it settles overnight.

I use it as the base of my rope-sauce.

Great, I’ll give it a whack. Thanks again

Just to follow up, this worked well enough. It mixed in by shaking and didn’t separate over a couple of days. The only info I found online was that it has been used as a drying agent for paint. This mix seemed to dry quickly. I painted it on at 55F and falling. A few hours later it’s 42F and the paint is tack free. The fumes are terrible, respirator mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by John Husky View Post
    I am looking to use this between faying surfaces bolting the stem/knee/ keel together. Wondering if this is kosher or not. Google and searches on this sight didnít offer much insight. Thanks!
    I do this all the time by mixing Copper Napthenate with Dolfininte. Sort of makes an ersatz version of the old fugicidal bedding compound that's no longer available because of restrictions on pentachlorophenol. The Copper Napthenate that you can buy as a thrush treatment for horse hooves is more concentrated than the stuff typically marketed as a wood preservative. "Koppertox" is one of the more common brands.

Wouldn't it be more effective to first paint the faying surfaces with copper nathenate and then follow with primer? That way you'd get maximum penetration of copper napthenate into the wood.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Quote Originally Posted by alkorn View Post
    Wouldn't it be more effective to first paint the faying surfaces with copper nathenate and then follow with primer? That way you'd get maximum penetration of copper napthenate into the wood.
    That'd be how I'd do it, yes. Maybe add a bit of naphthenate to the primer as a thinner & drying agent too, the "belt + suspenders" philosophy.

Cobalt's what makes japan dryer what it is while zinc & copper will have some effect if not quite as speedy.