Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Van Morrison disappoints

Default Re: Van Morrison disappoints

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I saw him live a couple of times 30 years ago. He came over as a horrible person. I deliberately chose to never see him again.
    I've read stuff about him since. He expected his wife to run a traditional Irish household, he thinks his only peer is Dylan, he expects to eclipse Yeats as a poet.

I still like his music
    Stories abound about Morrison giving bad performances. However, there are some on YouTube that are some of the best minutes in music I've ever seen.

As for Clapton, I have a friend who saw both Clapton and Mark Knopfler, separately. She said the Clapton concert was short and unimpressive. Knopfler played for two hours and it was amazing!

What does all that mean? Not much. Spend your money wisely, enjoy what is out there, and don't be misled into thinking that a good performer is a role model.

I went to see Knopfler last September, quite a show. A really, really good band, his songwriting gets better and better. His guitar playing is, of course, great, but not by no means the key piece.

So much fun inviting friends to a Knopfler concert who know nothing of him besides some Fire Straits hits, and see their reaction as the night goes on.

I enjoyed Astral Weeks but haven't really liked anything by Morrison since. Most that I've heard is just repetitive claptrap. I went to a Clapton concert years ago and really enjoyed it.

I've thought for a long time that sports people, actors and musicians should be banned from interviews, biographies and political commentary! Unless I agree with them, of course ....

A number of my idols have crashed badly!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn