Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Restoration of Mai-Star II for a second time

Default Re: The Restoration of Mai-Star II for a second time

Now that some of my day jobs are well underway, it gives me time to get the oak out of the timber pile and get it into a position where I can cut the lengths for steaming the new ribs into the boat once they are cut and planed and thickened to the correct shape and size.

However, before I can do that I will have to get the stems in the planks cleaned out so the gaps in the gaps can close up a bit when the new ribs are steamed in. However I have to clear up the yard round the boat to get to the area I have to work.

The seams on the port side above the waterline are now done

The starboard side seams are getting there just a few more feet to go before they are done as well

A big task ahead in the cabin, especially in the forward end and amidships

There are a number of repairs needed in the bilge area especially the ribs and the inner hog which needs sorting out

Should be making a start on getting the last bits of old rib out of the port side bilge area where the last bits of rib are still in place. Once they are out of the way the hull can have the old paint removed and the area can be primed ready for the new ribs to go in next week all be well. At the same time get the rest of the old top plank off the starboard side and remove the old nails and screws that need to be remove before any work can be done on the top of the planking on both sides of the hull. There is also new deck beams to be made. these will be laminated out of oak. The cabin front deck beam needs to be removed off the cabin front so that can be patterned up at the same time.

Time is marching on and I have made little progress

This past fortnight as be busy with other projects, mainly the big boat up in Woodplumpton which needed a fair bit of work doing to it. That is to say the engines in her needed to come out and be disposed of. this meant I had to go to the boat and organise the removal of the wheelhouse roof in order to get the engines out of the engine bay and out next to the boat.

This job took a little bit longer than I had planned for, however, it is now done and the rest of the work on the boat in Woodplumpton can be put on the back burner for now and the work on Mai Star II (Gadfly II) can restart. The first job will be to remove the cabin structure off the boat to give access to all the areas of the hull that need work doing on it. Namely the frames and ribs that need replacing especially in the port side side forward. This area is the worse affected area with the most broken and rotten top of the frames.
    So as soon as I have a few hours spare this will be my next job on the boat.

Time to plan the next stages of the restoration of Mai Star II.

Now that the Christmas break is drawing to an end. It is now time to plan the next stages of the restoration of Mai Star II.
    One of the first jobs when I open the boatyard on the 4th of January is going to be to recover the boat with the temporary framework with a new cover after the framework is repaired. During this last year the framework got damaged and had to be taken down and put to one side and put in storage and a cover put over the boat while I was engaged in working my day job as a boat builder running my own yard, so Mai Star II was put on the back burner for the year while work in the yard had to be done first to pay the overheads for the business, then all the Covid restrictions made it difficult to get work done as suppliers were on short time and delays in get equipment and materials from other parts of the world. This all as made for an interesting past year working in a small boatyard by yourself without the company of other people to bounce your ideas off.
    This a photo of the cover before it was damaged and had to be taken down. It will be put better than before with changes made to the design that will help safeguard from getting damaged again.
    Once the framework is repaired and re-erected and the design for holding it together is re-engineered so that any amount of wind and weather hitting the framework and cover will not break the joints where the framework connects together which was one of the problem which made it break in the first place through this last year. Most of the problem was the lack of welding on the spigots on the uprights which were just tack welded together. This time when I have the parts of the framework in the workshop, is to weld a complete weld around the spigots so that the joints are stronger than before and also fit spilt pins to the joints so they can not and will not move apart when being hit by high winds and rain.
    So with this work in mind, it is now time to bring the parts of the framework into the workshop and clean up the parts of the framework so that I can make a start of welding up the damaged parts of the framework, so I can re-erect the framework over the boat and get the cover over the boat to help dry out the boat so that the work can start again.
    So during the last few days of the Christmas break it is time to draw up a restoration schedule for Mai Star II like the one I have set up for my other restoration project on my James Silver Motor Sailer Chance. That way making the best of my spare time when I the chance to take time off from working my day job being an owner of a small boatyar
    d.

Now that I have made time to get the area under the boat clear of any rubbish that as been laying around it as given me a chance to get on and make a start of removing the remaining nails in the bits of ribs that are still in the boat.

Got the area cleared now and so we can make a start on getting the remain bits of rib out and start to make some new ribs to go back in the hull.

The port side forward where most of the damage as been over the years with broken ribs

Now coming back along the hull to where the chain plates are situated is where the most of the damage and rotten frames are situated.

The original toilet seacocks which are in good condition and will be serviced later on in the restoration

Once the frame was removed from its position it was found that the planking in one place was badly damaged and will need to have a new section of planking put in to replace the damaged plank

The frame is in a very poor condition and will be put back in a better way so that it does not move and the planking will go back in its correct position

The condition of the frames is not good at all

This plank joint will be moved when the new section of planking is replaced

Did not get time to work on Mai Star II weekend past as it was a mixture of rain and other commitments which kept me from working on the hull. Hopefully tomorrow evening I will be able to make a start on cleaning out the seams so that I can make a start on getting the planks back into the correct position.

This photo shows the problem we have on the inside of the hull, that over the years has got worse and with the rotten and broken frame as made the problem worse to the point where the plank seams are no longer doing their job and the boat planking is more like a clinker build boat than a carvel build. So tomorrow it will be out with the multi tool and clean out as much of the seams of the old cotton and putty so we have a good chance of getting the plank to return to their correct position, so that when the new frame is made the plank will once more lay in the correct position and the seams will once more do their job correctly.

Having been away doing the other restoration project, namely Chance up in Woodplumpton in Lancashire, It is now time to turn our attention to Mai Star II once more and get the ribs and frames sorted out in the port side forward section of the hull and the hull sorted out.
    Especially in areas like in this photo where the plank as been rotted away at the joint between two planks that are butted together and fixed on a frame and not a butt block. Also the planks have moved so the planks are not laying against the frame as they should do and the hull looks more like a clinker build boat than a smooth carvel hull.

One of the major problems with as old as Mai Star II is that many of the copper nails and other fixings of the hull have stretched over the years and have aloud the hull planking to move and rather than sort the fixings out along the way over the years, she was caulked more and more as the planks moved until this would not work anymore and we end up with the hull in the condition that Mai Star II is currently in. So as part of her restoration there will be a major refastening of the hull planking with fresh copper nails and roves and renewed fixings in the frames .

Making a start on removing the last of the starboard sheer stake plank

Yesterday I started to remove the last part of the starboard sheer stake plank to gain access to the back of the beam shelf/ gunwale to be able to pass the new steamed oak ribs into place after the old doubled and sistered ribs are removed.

As you can see from this photo I have uncovered a can of worms in the way of other work that is going to have to be done before any other work can be done on the sheer stake or any other part of the boat in this area.
    There is an area of expending foam in a void space behind the forward apron of the stem, there is a lot of checking in the breasthook and a former colony of woodworm long since gone away.

So I am will have to make a new laminated breasthook and also do a repair to the upper section of stem to remove any rot that as travelled down thew stem that can not be seen from just looking at the exposed part.

The copper nail on the upper part of the photo is a nail that was made up from a length of copper rod with the end pinned over to make a head for the nail and the inboard end having a copper washer to act as a rove. This was a normal practice when you had a length that was not a standard length and you had to make your own nails This was true when you were nailing lodging knees in position and the distance was more than most nails came in at the time when Mai Star II was build.

The port side of the hull is now clear of any of the old ribs and now needs to be primed with yacht primer before the new ribs are steamed into position and the fixed in place with copper nails and roves and the shape of the hull brought back into its correct shape once more.
    At the same time I will be making a template of the frame to make a new frame the correct shape to fit in the hull and that will also help bring back the shape in that side of the hull, As this is the area of the hull that as distraughted the most over the years.

The port side is where the tops of the frames are in the worst condition as many of the upper section are rotten and split. So there is going to be a lot of upper section of the frames to remake and fit and the side where the most of the ribs will need to be renewed.
    The deck beams will have to be remade as they are rotten at the ends and the cabin sides will have to be remade with new corner posts. Also there are going to be new carlins and short deck beams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats;6635654[COLOR=#241E12

The copper nail on the upper part of the photo is a nail that was made up from a length of copper rod with the end pinned over to make a head for the nail and the inboard end having a copper washer to act as a rove. This was a normal practice when you had a length that was not a standard length and you had to make your own nails This was true when you were nailing lodging knees in position and the distance was more than most nails came in at the time when Mai Star II was build.

I have done that myself, using scrap overhead crane power pick up wire from the yard's scrap bin. 1/4 "dia with a slight flat on one side. I punched the roves out of suitable sized copper disks, unfortunately no longer available as they are now copper plated steel.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi Nick,
    Thankfully, I do have a few bits of copper rod laying around the workshop,which should be enough to make up the amount I will need to replace the old bits. Just need to take patterns of the breasthook and the lodging knees I will have to replace in time. I am not looking forward to what I might find when I start to take the plank ends off the stem. I hope the rot does not go down too much, But only time will tell once I get the planks off the stem.

Regards
    Simon

Starting to make a start on removing the last bits of the sheer strake on the starboard side, once this is removed then can tackle the beam shelf and the lodging and hanging knees

The top of the stem is in need of a bit of rebuilding as a bit of rot was found after the sheer strake was removed

The small bits of sheer strake that were left behind when the rest was removed is now getting removed to expose the tops of the frames and ribs

The port side is in need of the ribs refitting before much more of the shape is lost

The planks have moved more as the boat as been sitting out of the water, however, the planks will be moved back into position with props to realign the planks after the seams are cleared of old caulking and putty.

The port side is clear of all the sheer strake plank

The cabin is back up near to its correct position so that the new beams will have to be set with this caber when refitting the sheer strake and the carlins and side deck beams

Major work needed on the transom, possibly a new transom coming this time round

In order to make the cabin sides safe to work on there has been a board fitted under the cabin sides while it is made safe to remove the cabin sides in one piece

A few of the loose parts from the boat which my son Michael has removed to help doing the work on the deck beams easier for both of us to do once we have removed the cabin sides

My son Michael removed the to aft cabin bulkheads which were the last bits holding the cabin sides in place and once we have the beside Mai Star II we can lower the cabin sides off the boat and get them in the workshop to be worked on

Some of the roof was rotten so it was removed to help make the cabin sides and roof a little lighter when it comes to lifting it off.

Tomorrow, while many people will be taking advantage of a four day holiday, I will be working on Mai Star II, As my workshop and yard is closed to clients for the holiday it gives me time to get on with work on Mai Star II. The first job will be to clear the area around the front of Mai Star II so that I can get to the lower part of the hull to clear the plank seams of the old caulking cotton and putty so that when the ribs are steamed in position the plank seam will close up.Another job to get started will be to make up a pattern for the frame which is missing on the port hand side. Once that is made then I will be able to transfer the pattern to the plank of oak to make up the section that will become the frame.Other jobs.

I hope to get started are the drilling out the holes from the old copper nails and drill out the holes with a tapered plug cutter to take the tapered plugs which I will be making once the tapered plug cutter is delivered to my workshop. So happy days making tapered plugs and gluing these in the many holes in the hull where all the old copper nails were. Especially given that the hull as had many doubled and sistered ribs steamed into her over the years.

If I have time and the MiG welder works correctly I may be able to repair the steel frame work to put the cover back over the boat and keep the weather out of the boat, so that I can work on her even if it is raining.

Work for the next few days weather permitting

Starting tomorrow, it is hoped that the pattern can be made to the make the new frame which was removed because it was rotten and had signs of land borne wood worm from when it was made and fitted to the boat. There is no signs of any of the wood worm now, however, it must have been there a one point looking at the amount of holes in the old frame when it was removed.
    The other jobs that we can to tackle are making the area where the old ribs were better by drilling and plugging up the holes from the old copper nails and re-drilling the holes a fresh when the ribs and frames are steamed and fitted in position.
    However, before any of that can be done the plank seams will have to cleaned out and the planks pushed back into position and the gaps in the planks closed up so that a small amount of caulking cotton and putty is put in the seams once more.
    So a lot of drilling and plugging and racking out seams to be done over the next few days on Mai Star II.

After the week away in Woodplumpton on Chance it is back to Mai Star II
    Now we have returned from Woodplumpton it is the turn of Mai Star II to get some of the work done to her.
    One of the jobs that needs doing is to remove all the old copper nails from the beam shelf where the new ribs have to go in from above and behind the beam shelf and down to where the ribs fit on to the hog.
    So far we have to renew five ribs and one frame before we can move on along the port side and replace further ribs and frames on that side of the hull, then we can turn our attention to the starboard side and do the same to that side of the hull.
    Once all the ribs and frames are either renewed or parts repaired, then we will turn our attention to the sheer strakes and the deck beams .

Back from my Travels to the North West of England

Now that I have finished my travels to the North West of England, I can now turn my attention to working on Mai Star II and get on with her restoration, The first jobs to do are to finish off clearing away any bits that are going to stop us from getting the frame and ribs back in the port side in the bow of Mai Star II which is where the worse of the damage she has had over the years. A lot of ribs were broken in this part of the boat along with the rotten and broken frames as well. So what we have to do now is sort this part of the boats hull first before moving on down the rest of the port side repairing and in some case renewing parts as we go along. While I am working on sorting out the port side my son Michael will be continuing to sort out the starboard sheer strake plank and remove all the old copper nails and any other fittings that are still to come off before we can make a start on other jobs on other parts of the boat.

Last edited by jstarboats; 07-14-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Sorting through the parts taken of Mai Star II earlier and seeing which to use as patterns & what to get rid of.

Sorting through the parts taken of Mai Star II earlier and seeing which to use as patterns & what to get rid of. Now having got the parts that were put on the shelves earlier in the restoration project, it is now time to look through the pile of parts and decide which parts to keep and use as patterns & which simply get rid of as they are not needed to do the restoration of Mai Star II as we are where possible going to put the interior and the rest of the boat back to how Mai Star II was originally build in 1939/46. The parts we have got are in many cases not in any condition possible to go back in and will only be used as patterns. There is also going to be a fair amount of fabrication of templates going on where parts are missing or have been lost over time. I still have to research as a much as possible the possible layout of Mai Star II's interior from other boats of her period to gauge her possible interior layout as when I got her interior was already missing and I put in what was the most likely interior she would have had given the position of what parts of the boat showed me at the time.

Having looked at a number of designs of of similar boat of the period, The most likely interior is one from the pen of Harrison Butler. Because when Gadfly II / Mai Star II was build Anderson Rigen & Perkins had build a number of boats to his design. Although Gadfly II/ Mai Star II as many of the design features she differs in some places. The Harrison Butler Association do say that the boat does have a number of features that are Harrison Butler, however, there are number that do not. One very noticeable is the shape of the keel and forefoot which are to lat to be Harrison Butler. They have said that it warrants further investigation because the builders build a number of Harrison Butler boats during the time Gadfly II was build and may of used some of the design feature to build Gadfly II. It was not uncommon for boat builder to use some design features when building other boats for other owners while a Harrison Butler was on the stacks being built.

So now with this in mind the interior can be completely removed and be redesigned to look very much like a Harrison Butler boat of its size would have looked like when she was build.

This will have to wait a while as I have to re-rib and frame the port side forward and work my way down the hull renewing the ribs and frames as I go along the boat repairing broken and rotten tops of frames as I go along. I will possibly remove the last of the furniture left in the boat. Also I have to remove the cabin sides and roof off the boat so that I can get to grips with the work easier over the next few months.

All this work around working as a boat builder as a day job and my other restoration project on my James Silver Chance which is presently in Woodplumpton in the North West of England.

Looking for volunteers to help us steam bend and fit new oak ribs in Chance. T.B.A. when I can get the time off from work repairing other peoples boats. So if anybody would like to come and help us get the first stage of the restoration underway and get the hull of Chance sound enough to move her before the winter. DM me through the forum.

Thanks in advance
    Simon,Tricia and Michael
    The Life's a Gamble, so lets take a Chance team

Because the weather is against us at the moment, that is because it is raining heavily and can not go on with the boat itself, so we are getting on with some of the smaller bits and pieces in and around the workshop.

These long pieces being the aft sections of the rubbing strakes which are in need of a good cleaning up and then re-varnishing

Then got to sort out the pile of deck beams and of bits from Mai Star II cockpit coamings and carlins and see which of them need replacing and which can be cleaned up and restored to be used again.

Quiet a pile, just got to dive in and get sorting out the bits and pieces