Thread: The Restoration of Mai-Star II for a second time

Default The Restoration of Mai-Star II for a second time

The restoration as come about because I have not been able to keep on top of for her yearly maintenance as much as I have been able too. The first restoration was done to get her back on the water as quickly as possible after she had been out of the water for over a decade and the planks had dried out a great deal and the first job to caulk the planks lightly and with a great deal of linseed putty get her afloat and moved to a half tide mooring.

After she had taken up enough to move her again, she was hauled out and the hull sorted out. At this point she was with out a deck, So then she was transport to a barn of a local farmer so that the deck could be fitted and the first of many ribs were replaced that time round. There were about 14 out of 30 ribs that needed to be replaced, some were broken and other had patches of rot or both.

Also at the time the cabin sides and deckhead needed to be replaced as well, so that was a further job that needed doing during the first restoration. While that was being done there were a few lengths of planking that needed renewing as well.

So all in all it was a major restoration the first time round.

This time the deck, the cabin deck head, more ribs which now need renewing the cabin berths, bulkheads between the cabin and the cockpit, the cockpit coamings, some of the sawn frames and the deck carlins and the two deck beams either side of where the mast originally when through the deck and the side deck beams and the top of the transom as well and both the sheer stakes.

Default Re: The Restoration of Mai-Star II for a second time

This time round I got a temporary workshop built over her in my own yard

The framework tent is going together slowly but surely and it will be getting it covered shortly

The framework now finished and the cover put over the boat so that work can begin to get the cabin sides and front off the carlins and in the workshop to be sorted an jigged up ready to put back on the boat when all the deck beams and side deck beams and carlins are remade and the cabin can be fitted on a stable deck structure

Now that the cover is in place it is time to get the area under the boat clear of any rubbish that will stop from being able to get to any of the under water parts of the hull where it is a needed to get to remove and replace any fittings

The cover is a close fit to the boat, however, there is enough space around the boat to get to the necessary parts to come off and replace them when it is time to do it.

The original carlins are past their usable life and are being removed to make way for new carlins and beams that will be fitted in much the same way as the original parts. The only difference being that the tie rods will be made out of a nonferrous material

The carlins beams position were all measured before they were removed so we know where they all go, so when rebuilding the deck structure they will all go back in the same position

Both ends of the short beams that are fitted to the beam shelf are fitted with a half dovetail joint which is the way they are going to be refitted

The wood on top of the beam shelf is all going to be replaced with new hardwood so that the deck beams and deck will have a good sized area to get fixed to when it time to relay the deck

The forward part of the deck is good condition just needs to be faired up after the new top strakes are made and fitted

Now that the carlins are removed as well as the wood on top of the beam shelf,it can be seen how much work is going to be needed to sort this area of the deck beam structure.

Apart from the old iron fixings there appears to not be much wrong with the beam shelf that a small piece of grading will not put right

This is the only small area that is in need of repairing

The top of the transom looks like it is going to need renewing as it is in a poor condition on the starboard side, so before any work is done on the deck. It is going to have some major work done to the transom

Last edited by jstarboats; 11-06-2020 at 06:03 AM.

This is the first section of hull that needs rebuilding, the port side forward of the mast which in the past as had the most damage and repairs done to it over the years with all but two frames and a single rib not needing to be replaced

The starboard side ahead of the mast as faired better with just a couple of ribs and a single frame that need replacing

Having sourced a supplier for my green oak and larch it was a matter of having to pick it up from the timber yard the only problem was it was in another part of the UK, 200 miles away from my yard.

although there are knots in the first piece the patterns for the frames use the grain pattern to let the grain go in the direction of the curve of the frame

The other plank as a lot straighter grain and it is good for making ribs,which so far are about ten ribs down the port side. There are sure to be more as we go along.However this plank will make a good start in making new ribs

An use for a speed boat trailer, a good timber carrying trailer as well.

The next job to do is remove the sheer strakes and then will be able to sort out the top parts of the frames which are rotten and also gain access to the ribs as well to be able to put them in from the top. I will at the same time remove all the cabin berths and galley and sink areas as well Also while stripping out the cabin the cabin sides and front and deck head will be removed to gain access to the inside of the cabin and to make it easier to do the work on the inside of the hull and to refit the deck beams, carlins and the beams beams for the fore hatch without the cabin being in the way. So over the next few weeks and months in my off days from work i am going to be busy with getting the yacht back to its bare bones again. in much the same way she was when she was being build back in 1939.

Thanks for the report. Good for you for taking on this big project, it would be the death of many boats.

Hi John,
    Over the past 43 years that I have been a boat builder and the boatyards I have worked in. There have been a lot of motor boats and yachts I have been involved in that have been in simpler or worse condition than my yacht and have brought them back from the brink of the chain saw. I remember when I was an apprentice myself and the boatyard which I did my apprenticeship at had a yacht that came in for a full hull restoration. All that was left of the original hull was the two top planks. the rest was rotten. in that case we hung the yacht deck and cabin from the roof joists and then dismantled the hull. every other rib and every other plank. then took the hog and keelson and the fin keel off. Then replaced fin keel and the hog and keelson on to the new planks and ribs. The job was quiet a long job, however, it was interesting and showed me what could be done when you have the correct equipment and a master boat builder. There have been a number of boats and yachts I have done over the years but never quiet as far gone as that yacht.

However, I will see how far my yacht is, however it will not be such a big job. Will live in hope.

I have seen a really dead boat revived too. (Though my own repairs have been more modest)
    When I worked in Oyster Bay NY, they were rebuilding the oyster sloop Christine. I think the only parts they saved were some keel timbers, and those went on the next go round. Unfortunately, I've also seen better boats cut up or abandoned.

Hi John,

There is many a boat out there that without people like us would be lost to the bonfire. Some beautiful boats have gone that way. However, I do not see Mai Star II going get way if I can help it and get the wood I need to rebuild the boat. The only down side at the moment is this second lockdown in England. However, it hopefully will only be for 4 weeks and then I may be able to get some help form a few of my friends to help with the rebuilding of the hull and then the deck.

Hi John,

There is many a boat out there that without people like us would be lost to the bonfire. Some beautiful boats have gone that way. However, I do not see Mai Star II going get way if I can help it and get the wood I need to rebuild the boat. The only down side at the moment is this second lockdown in England. However, it hopefully will only be for 4 weeks and then I may be able to get some help form a few of my friends to help with the rebuilding of the hull and then the deck.

I hope you do, and it goes well. Keep us posted.

Looks like a lot of work, but you're just the guy who can get it done.
    I'll be following.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi Rich,

Now the UK as been put in another lockdown, As a way of getting work done, it will be part my boat and the clients boats so I have some money coming into the yard. The next job on Mai Star II is to take the old bunks so I can get to the hull the whole way round the boat. That way I will be able to get to all the parts that need repairing and replacing. So it is another weekend of removing parts. I will some be back to the bare hull and see the wood behind the trees.

Cutting off the top plank with a reciprocating saw to get rid of the plank is the best way and then chisel off the parts attached to the ribs and frames

The aft part of the port plank now removed and it as exposed the rotten and damaged frames and damaged to the beam shelf

One of the frames which is in need of replacing as it is broken lower down and had a piece let in when it was first fitted in 1939 when it was the wrong shape and fitted a wedge to make up the difference

The top of the frames in a bad way and are both broken lower down. The two that are in the worse condition are the main chain plates and the lower stays on both sides of the hull

Next job on the forward end of the hull the replacing of the ribs after they are removed and the new ribs are made and steamed into position

The starboard bunk is now being dismantled

The first part of the top plank on the port side is now removed and as exposed a fair amount of work that needs doing in the area

The inside bunks are nowremoved so we can access to the inside of the hull to do the repairs to the planking and the ribs

The main part that needs sorting out are the upper parts of the frames where they are either rotten or broken

The starboard top plank is the worse of the two planks with a rotten top edge for most of its length

Now that the bulkheads and bunk fronts and top are out of the boat it is a lot easier to work on the inside and get to all the parts we need to remove.

Just got the two last bulkheads at the back of the cabin to remove and cut the cockpit bulkhead off at the deck beam level and cabin roof can be removed to make even more room to work in.

The major areas which need replacing are the forward frames which are the frames which take the stress from the rig and are in the worse condition.

The two deck knees supporting the backward pressure on the Samson post which appear to be in good condition and hope to reuse these in the restoration

The first of the ribs to be removed from the port side of the hull, The major problem we have here is that the plank nails have stretched and the planks have moved and the planks have now got steps on the inside which needs to be tackled first before the new ribs can befitted back in position. The main problem is that it as happened on the frames along the port side, and so the frame nails will need to be removed and any rubbish collected behind the frames will need to be removed.So the planks seams will need to be cleaned out as well so that the plank can return to their correct position

The keel bearers are going to have be replaced. The best way to make new keel bearers will be to laminated new keel bearers out of oak which the old bears are made from and have lasted 80+ years.

Just got to get the old keel bearers out and make patterns from them and make up a jig to build new keel bearers

"Keel bearers"? A new one on me, especially as you are posting photos of the floors.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

In my yacht these bearers have nothing to do with the floor what so ever they make up nothing at all to do with any floor in my yacht. They do be the way have the keel bolts through them and they spread the loading of the keel through the hog and keelson and through to the planking of the hull. They do not in any way make up the floor bearers in my yacht. So they are keel bearers and not floor bearers The floor bearers are fixed to the grown frames and not the keel bearers.

Regards

Simon

Sorry Simon, I’m with Nick on that one, what you are showing is actually called a “floor" in wooden boat terminology

https://www.boatbuilding.xyz/buildin...r-timbers.html

"The glossary will say something like this: "Floor timber—an athwartships member, usually of wood, used to lie the heels of the frames to the keel." This definition comes close to being the ultimate in oversimplification. The floor timbers provide a base for the engine bed, intermediate shaft bearings, and a mast step. They tie the two halves of the boat together down where it really counts. They take in hand the enormous wringing strains of the ballast keel, and transfer these loads smoothly and subtly to the main fabric of the hull. They connect a flexible keel to the longitudinal rigidity of the topsides. They even provide support for a platform to walk on. Unfortunately, they are not always provided in sufficient numbers, styles, and sizes to do this work in a satisfactory manner."

​But aside from that, I’m enjoying watching your restoration and will continue to watch with interest, it looks like a daunting project.
    Last edited by Larks; 11-11-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

You both can call it what you like, wooden boat terms are called lots of different things all over the world, So you call it what you like. Like in Norfolk in the UK. Knees , breast hooks are called wrongs can you see any sense in them being called that. shiplap planking where as in the UK it is called clinker planking. The list goes on. My keel floors do exactly what they do spread the loading over the planking as they are no where near any frames and are not fixed through the frames as per your diagram.My keel bearers are fixed directly to the planking and no where else.

So you could have two wrongs made by a wright......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    In my yacht these bearers have nothing to do with the floor what so ever they make up nothing at all to do with any floor in my yacht. They do be the way have the keel bolts through them and they spread the loading of the keel through the hog and keelson and through to the planking of the hull. They do not in any way make up the floor bearers in my yacht. So they are keel bearers and not floor bearers The floor bearers are fixed to the grown frames and not the keel bearers.

Regards

Simon
    You usually walk on the cabin sole, which is on top of sole beams, unless it is a Lancashire nobby, in which case they are ballast boards..

Floor indeed, next you will be talking about putting doorways in walls and hanging lights from the ceiling.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I can see we are never going to see eye to eye about this. So we should just stop this petty argument now and move on.

This week I got round to finish cleaning off the last of the top plank on the port side and at least there is not rot on the second plank on the hull. The major job on the port side is now to replace the broken and rotten ribs down the port side and to sort out the frames on the hull above the turn of the bilge which are either rotten or broken or both. From what appears to the case the port side appears to have come in for a lot more of damage and rot over the years. The port side of the deck beams to the side of the boat appear to have the worse rot and are the ones that have been broken and sistered up more than the starboard side over the years,

Also the planks on the turn of the bilge have moved out of position on the turn of the bilge giving the planks a step on the inside and outside. The lower edge of the planks which should be flush against the frames are in some cases up to a 8 mm to 10 mm gap . So it is going to be a matter of removing the nails through the frames in these areas and cleaning out the back of the frames and then pushing the planks back into position and refixing the planks with fresh nails and an extra fixing to ensure the plank stays in position.

Before I can do this the seams on the hull will have to be cleaned out to let the planks move freely and go back where they are going to sit correctly against the frames.

Another job I am not looking forward to is removing the cabin as this is going to be a handful and is reasonably heavy to move about. So that will have to wait until I can get the use of a forklift to lift it clear of the boat and put in the area ahead of the boat so it can be worked on off the boat and out of the way while the work on the continues.