Thread: Score!

Default Score!

My wife just arrived home from town and presented me with a book which was one of a number donated to a charity shop and destined for the rubbish bin, deemed to be of no value. "The Plan Book of Cruisers, Runabouts, Auxiliaries and Outboard Motor Boats" 1927. Several designs by William Atkin including a sloop, runabout and cat boat, and numerous designs by Charles D Mower- including Hydroplanes, a dinghy, skiffs, runabouts from eighteen to thirty two feet, a speedster, several cruisers from twenty to forty feet- plans and offsets for every boat! And on the first page a signature from the feller who bought the book- C Wright- which just happened to be my grandfathers moniker as well. And a hand written materials list for one of the boats- "Zipper" an 18' 3" hydroplane- 225 cu.in. motor, 600 lbs. hull weight. I'd love to know what the motor was that he intended to use. Anyway, reading, drinking coffee and grinnin like a fox eatin guts
    Biography of Charles D. Mower

Born in 1875, Charles Drown Mower of New York was a noted yacht designer and author, and was at one time design editor of the Rudder magazine and a contributing author to Motor Boating magazine. From 1895 to 1899 he studied yacht design with Arthur Binney and later Bowdoin B. Crowninshield. In 1911 he began a partnership with Thomas D. Bowes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. During World War I he served as a lieutenant commander in the Construction Corps, Naval Reserve. After the war, Mower worked alone and in partnership as Mower and Humphries Ltd. He was also a chief naval architect at Henry B. Nevins, Inc., City Island, New York, and in 1937 was associated with the office of Nelson & Reid, Inc. He was official measurer of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club, the Cruising Club of America and the New York Yacht Club. Charles D. Mower died in 1942.
    JayInOz

Default Re: Score!

Always good to score a good book from the op shop. Ive got quite a few from the Sorrento op shop....some real Treasures! Smug is the way to feel!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Damn, I guess!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

225 cu.in. motor. reminds me of the Chrysler slant six. I owned one and drove another that belonged to a company I worked for.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post

Born in 1875, Charles Drown Mower of New York was a noted yacht designer and author
    An unfortunate middle name.

I noticed that too Many years ago my missus used our mower to cut a small area of lawn she wanted done asap as there was big rain forecast. She finished with the mower- it was nowhere to be seen so I assumed she'd put it back in the shed. It rained for three days, at the end of which I discovered the mower round the far side of the house. Water in the electrics. It was dead as a nit- a drowned mower, so "we" decided it was time for a new one anyway JayInOz

Excellent score! Enjoy.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The better score is that you have a wife who knows and supports your interests. She sounds like a real keeper!

C. D. Mower is a bright star in the pantheon of noted catboat designers. He was to New Jersey what Fenwick Williams was to Cape Cod.

He designed the A-Cats, which are a class of racing catboats, still actively racing on Barnegat Bay. He also designed Silent Maid, a 33' cat sporting a 900 sq' ft' sail.

The Jersey cats differ from the more commonly known Cape cats in that their sheer was flatter and the beam less in proportion to the length. The mast is usually stepped further back and the sail peaked higher.

Good Score!

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/videos/silent-maid-barnegat-bay-b-cat-not-your-grandmothers-catboat/

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/19/n...0Rsailing.html

Thank you Mr. Ledger. I'm really glad I clicked on that link Jay