Thread: Homicide rates in the US

Default Homicide rates in the US

2020 is really alarming:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...es/ar-BB1abEeV

We had been on a long term decline since the early 90s, and have likely given up all of those gains in a single year.
    To his credit, Joe Biden addressed the issue in Pennsylvania yesterday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ia/ar-BB1amCH3

Default Re: Homicide rates in the US

I think there is a broader perspective that is helpful.

B0CFEC75-5F74-4E72-9AA1-B06B50EB6254.jpg

^ Smacks of "Whataboutism"
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Well, sure, if you're interested in comparing your country to developing nations.

It doesn't do so well in comparison to, say, the G7.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Well, sure, if you're interested in comparing your country to developing nations.

It doesn't do so well in comparison to, say, the G7.
    Well, lets face it, the US is not much older than some of those South American spit hole countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well, lets face it, the US is not much older than some of those South American spit hole countries.
    Oh crrapt... he broke out the 'older brother' card. I'm at a loss... <G>

Almost.

We have a gun violence problem in the U.S. And we have a violence issue. The roots of both of those have been widely discussed already... and if we do it AGAIN, I feel for the mental state of Mr. Mason <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

Almost.

We have a gun violence problem in the U.S. And we have a violence issue. The roots of both of those have been widely discussed already... and if we do it AGAIN, I feel for the mental state of Mr. Mason <G>
    I have to admit that until the US repeals the 2nd, all you have is Thoughts and Prayers.

Meanwhile, go feed and water the pigs at the end of the runway.

The only answer I can get from republicans as why they would ever vote for Trump is because the democrats will take their guns. Maybe we could try curbing violence a different way? One of the candidates did say "Heii Yes we will take their guns". Do you blame them for believing him?
    Yes the arguments get old, but it will not go away, and by make the Democrats the party of "We Will Take Them" we will get Trumps.
    When one says we need a government for all Americans, it has to be ALL. Even the guys that put Trump in office.

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    The only answer I can get from republicans as why they would ever vote for Trump is because the democrats will take their guns. Maybe we could try curbing violence a different way? One of the candidates did say "Heii Yes we will take their guns". Do you blame them for believing him?
    Yes the arguments get old, but it will not go away, and by make the Democrats the party of "We Will Take Them" we will get Trumps.
    When one says we need a government for all Americans, it has to be ALL. Even the guys that put Trump in office.
    How about an America for those families who have had relatives whose rights were terminally infringed? Nothing that you have tried yet has improved the situation, so what else have toy got?

I sorry if I sounded like I know the answer, I DON'T. but I do agree nothing has worked, every time legislation is even considered gun sales go through the roof!
    So if we do something that has the opposite effect, why do we keep doing it? It won't solve anything.
    The answer, if there even is one will not be simple, universal or perfect. But for those people you mentions we should keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    How about an America for those families who have had relatives whose rights were terminally infringed? Nothing that you have tried yet has improved the situation, so what else have toy got?
    Well... we gots guns. Lotsa lotsa guns. Does that help??
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

Almost.

The issue of the 2020 spike in gun violence (after a long term downard trend) has not been discussed. Iif it had it is very little.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    The issue of the 2020 spike in gun violence (after a long term downard trend) has not been discussed. Iif it had it is very little.
    So you just DON'T care about poor mmd?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Obviously the death tax caused by firearms is an acceptable kind of tax for very many Americans. And certainly for your 'representative' finaced by the manufacturers lobby and the MIC. I read somewhere that the US has been fighting with someone somewhere for all but 19 years in the last 150 I think it was, and then it was the internal war on the drugs that the government had brought in under the cover of the CIA. Given that, and the circumstance of the invasion of the continent and the ongoing treatment of the native people I am not at all surprised.

Exactly. I don't try to get non-gun-owners to own guns, or even change their view on them. But I have argued, ad infinitum, that the democrats endorsing gun control is exactly what the republicans want; no one has weaponized the issue of guns better than republicans. You'd think after so many steady losses, dems would recognize this. If dems want to win, don't play that game. Work on the root causes of all violence, which is the desire to commit violence, for a variety of reasons. That not only reduces all violence, but addresses myriad quality of life issues for the non-affluent across the board, which is a winning strategy.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

And by the way, Greenland? Hmm... let's consult wiki...

Social issues

The rate of suicide in Greenland is very high. According to a 2010 census, Greenland holds the highest suicide rate in the world.[150][151] Another significant social issue faced by Greenland is a high rate of alcoholism.[152] Alcohol consumption rates in Greenland reached their height in the 1980s, when it was twice as high as in Denmark, and had by 2010 fallen slightly below the average level of consumption in Denmark (which at the time were 12th highest in the world, but has since fallen). However, at the same time, alcohol prices are far higher, meaning that consumption has a large social impact.[153][154] Prevalence of HIV/AIDS used to be high in Greenland and peaked in the 1990s when the fatality rate also was relatively high. Through a number of initiatives the prevalence (along with the fatality rate through efficient treatment) has fallen and is now low, c. 0.13%,[155][156] below most other countries. In recent decades, the unemployment rates have generally been somewhat above those in Denmark;[157] in 2017, the rate was 6.8% in Greenland,[158] compared to 5.6% in Denmark.[159]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Exactly. I don't try to get non-gun-owners to own guns, or even change their view on them. But I have argued, ad nauseum, that the democrats endorsing gun control is exactly what the republicans want; no one has weaponized the issue of guns better than republicans. You'd think after so many steady losses, dems would recognize this. If dems want to win, don't play that game. Work on the root causes of all violence, which is the desire to commit violence, for a variety of reasons. That not only reduces all violence, but addresses myriad quality of life issues for the non-affluent across the board, which is a winning strategy.
    ftfy
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

my personal rate of homicidal thoughts is up this year

I just murdered an entire pizza.
    And I'll do it again.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

(2012 or latest year)? So 8 years + or - before this one?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

It does seem that school and church shootings have gone down this year, but here in Georgia some have been stopped before they could take place, thanks to informers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ftfy
    My sincerest apologies. I just don't want Biden, or any of the dems, to lose, nor make the same mistakes this time around if they win. They've got one shot if they win, and they gotta make it count.

I have some doubts about that map.

I’m sure that the figures for Papua Niugini are right, but I just don’t believe those for Irian Jaya, the other half of the island, ruled by Indonesia, with an active insurrection running.

Libya, in the grip of a civil war, looks far too low.

I am not sure that Somalia has fewer killings than Ethiopia.

The population of Greenland is 56,000 or so, so five murders?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Work on the root causes of all violence, which is the desire to commit violence, for a variety of reasons.
    Evidence from other countries suggests that it's relatively easy to reduce gun violence through effective gun control. I am not aware of any successful efforts to reduce it by changing human nature. Are you?

What are you doing about it?

From 1990 until 2019, we went from around 23,000 homicides to 16,000 (while population grew by 80 million people). Now, in 2020, there has been a 25% increase from last year in our major cities. That increase was the issue of this thread. Yes, guns are a problem. But they were just as much of a problem last year. Why the increase? It seems there should be more discussion on this. It is rather unprecedented.

Anyone who doesn't believe in gun control should be taken out back and shot.

(Did I take the bait well enough, David G.?)
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

From 1990 until 2019, we went from around 23,000 homicides to 16,000 (while population grew by 80 million people). Now, in 2020, there has been a 25% increase from last year in our major cities. That increase was the issue of this thread. Yes, guns are a problem. But they were just as much of a problem last year. Why the increase? It seems there should be more discussion on this. It is rather unprecedented.
    Living in a pandemic pisses people off and shortens tempers.

How can you fight a pandemic if you ain't got a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    How can you fight a pandemic if you ain't got a gun?
    Good idea. A cull of anti-vaxers and anti-maskers would have some benefits.

Yes. It should be discussed. But let’s not throw out the ar-15 with the bathwater. Keep the big picture in mind before we radically change our legal and policy approach to these issues.