Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trump is winning today

Default Re: Trump is winning today

#33 wins the night.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

I was thinking, the arc of Trump's Presidency runs from Comey to Coney.

Trump is imo a despicable man who should never have been given the opportunity to fully inhabit his moral brokenness. But in a sense, I see him as innocent, like a tantruming spoiled 2 year old is innocent.

McConnell however is very much an adult, in control of his thoughts and actions. And has given in to evil.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I mentioned this before. The Donald may not be the president we wanted, but he became the one we needed. I say this because his incompetence and inability to be controlled (either from outside or self) led to him blowing up the GOP plans for their long term take over for all to see. While many had inklings of what was going on behind the scenes, now everyone knows. Hopefully he is also the final swing of the pendulum towards total laissez-faire economics before it begins to swing back towards sanity. Granted now we are stuck with a lopsided court, but everything can be fixed with time.

Personally I hope I am around in 30 years to see how History regards our 45th president.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Forget Ginsburg, think of Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    #33 wins the night.

We need a laugh.

Then we need a crushing election defeat of the orange idiot and his senate lackeys, and then we need impeachments of "Justices" Carrot and Cravenaugh, and criminal trials of the Trump clan and the GOPing idiots.

Please. Do it for the rest of the planet.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Air Circuit Breaker?

(Thank you oznabrag and Figment.)
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

You are entirely welcome, sir.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    She's just been confirmed. A pox on them

You know, I do not mind that they confirmed a conservative. That is their right. What bothers me is that they put somebody on the highest court of the land with almost no experience as being a judge. She spent less than three years as a circuit judge before being nominated for the Supreme Court. This is going to come back to bite some people on the arse.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Exactly, Art. Exactly.

There need to be Justices with a diversity of views on any country's Supreme Court. Barrett could have become one, legitimately, with more years of experience to bring. Even before talking about the process we've just seen, her inexperience ought to have been disqualifying at this point in her career.

And participating in the execrable nakedly political process is itself disqualifying.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Trump is not winning today, or any other day.

Trump is a loser always.

Trumpers have sown the wind, and soon enough they will reap the whirlwind.

In the centuries to come, those who proclaim themselves Trumpists will be reviled, excoriated and ostracized, just as they should be.

Neo-Nazis will be accorded more respect than these, the most craven and execrable examples of political 'philosophy' extant.
    Rattling the teacups.

I hope that will alienate swung voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Must . . . Not . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    It's a theory, but it's close enough to the election, that only the voting outcome, and the exit polls, will tell. I hope so also.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I don't think it will make a significant amount of difference to the election one way or another (although that's just a guess). People have already made up their minds.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Trump's passage of his nomination and celebration might be his last victory lap. If he is handed a landslide loss, it makes him lame except for his executive actions.

The problem is that actions like the last-second confirmation of Ms Barrett tend to generate equally extreme counterreactions. Sowing the wind indeed.

Chuck Schumer on the Senate floor last night:

"I want to be very clear with my Republican colleagues. You may win this vote. And Amy Coney Barrett may become the next Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. But you will never, never get your credibility back. And the next time the American people give Democrats a majority in this chamber, you will have forfeited the right to tell us how to run that majority. You may win this vote. But in the process you will speed the precipitous decline of faith in our institutions, our politics, the Senate and the Supreme Court. You will give an already divided and angry nation a fresh outrage, and open a wound in this chamber that may never heal. You walk a perilous road. I know you think that this will eventually blow over. But you are wrong.... My colleagues may regret this for a lot longer than they think."
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Chuck is absolutely correct.

There will be no "blowing over" for me. Ever.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Schumer sounds like he thinks two wrongs will make a right.

When the rump GOP shows any interest in "going high ", then the Democrats can stop playing hardball. Not advising anything illegal, or even unethical, but hardball.

This isn't a case of "2 wrongs don't make a right," but "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

The Dems need to take firm, decisive actions to codify the rules which were previously norms, and remake the laws governing the judiciary - because justice needs both to be done and be seen to be done. And presently it is failing both criteria in the prominent cases where it is most crucial that it succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Schumer sounds like he thinks two wrongs will make a right.
    The Republicans have contributed far more than just TWO wrongs all by themselves.

Getting rid of them, and their attacks on ethics, morals, and institutions, will start to make things right. Tom F is right. Hardball time, I hope. Legal, ethical, transparent, well explained, uncompromising hardball.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Chuck is absolutely correct.

There will be no "blowing over" for me. Ever.

Tom
    These trumpists' children and their children's children will learn to revile their treasonous ancestors in the most stringent terms.

High school kids trying to be all rebellious will find that acting trumpish over plays the hand, and leads to ostracization.

7 generations of mothers will refuse to name their sons 'Donald'.

Losers, creeps, weirdos and freaks will be referred to as 'trumps'.
    Rattling the teacups.

Trump is not winning today, or any other day.

Trump is a loser always.

Trumpers have sown the wind, and soon enough they will reap the whirlwind.

In the centuries to come, those who proclaim themselves Trumpists will be reviled, excoriated and ostracized, just as they should be.

Neo-Nazis will be accorded more respect than these, the most craven and execrable examples of political 'philosophy' extant.
    Trumpistas ARE neo-Nazis!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    The Republicans have contributed far more than just TWO wrongs all by themselves.

Getting rid of them, and their attacks on ethics, morals, and institutions, will start to make things right. Tom F is right. Hardball time, I hope. Legal, ethical, transparent, well explained, uncompromising hardball.

Tom
    EXACTLY!

How are the Democrats supposed to defeat this kind of nascent fascism before it's wrought too much damage? As if the murderous negligence of the orange idiot with nearing 230,000 dead on the books, the permission given for the rise of hate speech and strong-man politics, not just stateside, but around the globe, as if the hollowing out of the US public service and judiciary isn't ALREADY too much damage.

When was okay to target the Nazi high command for killing?

Does anyone really believe that the thronging masses that filled Vienna's Heldenplatz when Germany annexed Austria would have cheered at all had they known what their city would have been reduced to - rubble and starvation - six or so years later? Or would there have been an angry mob ready to string the bastard up? I'd lay money on the latter.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

These trumpists' children and their children's children will learn to revile their treasonous ancestors in the most stringent terms.

High school kids trying to be all rebellious will find that acting trumpish over plays the hand, and leads to ostracization.

7 generations of mothers will refuse to name their sons 'Donald'.

Losers, creeps, weirdos and freaks will be referred to as 'trumps'.
    Yes.

IF WE SURVIVE the present crisis. I think we will, but nobody has signed any guarantees...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I don't think it will make a significant amount of difference to the election one way or another (although that's just a guess). People have already made up their minds.
    I think Dems have gained in fundraising, but other than that I agree.

Jeff C