Thread: 1965 Carver 17' runabout - parts/accessories sources

Default 1965 Carver 17' runabout - parts/accessories sources

I've been cleaning up my garage find 1965 Carver Captain 17. It is in pretty good original shape....Fresh paint & varnish, plugs and lube in the Mercury outboard, and we've been on the water for several weekends!

I've been looking around for sources for parts on this boat: ton's of aluminum trim and screws, cleats, hatch pulls, etc. Anyone know of a source for these mid-sixties, plywood lapstrake boats? Is there an online community that is focused on these? Most of the sources seem to focus on the fancier brands...Chris Craft, Lyman, etc.

Default Re: 1965 Carver 17' runabout - parts/accessories sources

the hardware and steering wheel and navigation lights were almost always common, off-the-shelf items from makers such as Kainer or Wilcox Crittenden and Jervis. You can find old stuff like this at swap meets and online auctions. The Antique & Classic Boat Society www.acbs.org has chapters all over North America and many chapters have events. Same goes for the Antique Outboard Motor Club www.aomci.org Of course with Covid-19, most in-person activities have been moth balled.

Don't go buy new hardware and navigation lights, they just do not look appropriate on a classic boat. Take your time and find old, era appropriate items. Your existing hardware can be rechromed.

fasteners such as screws can be obtained at many sources such as www.classicboatconnection.com; www.boltdepot.com; www.jamestowndistributors.com; and many, many others.

There are many very active Facebook pages for boats such as Carver.

Andreas

Thanks for all of your help, @andreas. I really appreciate it.

I haven't found any Facebook groups that are focused on these plywood lapstrakes....I'll keep looking.

Again, thanks!

You might hit up Chuck Grewe too:

http://www.chriscraftone.com/

I have bought correct parts for my 1958 Century Resorter from him. He's knowledgeable and has a decent collection of parts for sale.

There are numerous "lapstrake" boat type Facebook groups. At least two for Thompson et.al.: Thompson Boat Owners Group and Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally. Since both Wally Markham and Glen Nordin worked for Cruisers Inc prior to buying Carver Boat in 1963, there are many similarities and common suppliers used by these boat builders. Wally Markham worked at Thompson Boat before joining Cruisers Inc in 1953. There is a facebook group for Dunphy Boat.

Andreas