Thread: Alden 39 facing the chainsaw

Default Alden 39 facing the chainsaw

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Alden 39 facing the chainsaw

Offset prop shaft? Or am I missing something?

Where were all of these 35 years ago? Oh...I was still living in town and raising kids....

If it's "facing the chainsaw" why's it being offered at $14k?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Skulling propulsion. The engine wags the rudder. Very traditional.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by seasnail View Post
    If it's "facing the chainsaw" why's it being offered at $14k?
    The ad says "salvage value" which may be a stretch, though the engine, winches and spars are worth something. That number may have more to do with unpaid yard fees. It also says "reasonable offer". If she actually is sound, $14k is a steal. If I were shopping for such a boat, I would drive up.

Wow! Another “free” boat. Come on in said the spider to the fly..........
    Another issue with these old boats is you can’t get insurance on them. Even liability insurance is difficult and expensive. Then there is the problem of finding a marina that would accept berthing a boat this old. “I know your boat is restored in pristine condition. You are paying the sins of other old boat owners before you.” Says the marina manager.

What is that big box in the middle of the cockpit? The tiller appears to emerge from it. Something to do with the sculling propulsion?
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Looking at image 6, if you zoom in it looks like it might be offset to port. Unless that prop is on the blue boat, but I don't think it is...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by alkorn View Post
    What is that big box in the middle of the cockpit? The tiller appears to emerge from it. Something to do with the sculling propulsion?
    I think maybe a rack and pinion set up, and that's not the tiller but a shaft? The wheel is not currently attached? Looks like a big "Edson" nut on the end...

More info: In the Alden book by Carrick & Henderson, design 636 is on page 223. It describes an offset shaft, with "the top of the rudder cut away to clear an off center wheel. This arrangement makes for an efficient rudder that is unbreached by an aperture and has much of its area at the bottom, where the water is less turbulent."

Lines by Carl Alberg, interior arrangement by Fenwick Williams. Cutter rigged, 851 square feet of sail area on 18,800 pounds displacement. Iron ballast.

Seven boats to this design, STORMY PETREL, EDYTHE II, HELEN S, LORD JIM, NIMBUS, ISEULT, and AMITIE. All 1937. I believe this one is NIMBUS. LOA 39'4, LWL 28'1", Beam 10'5", Draught 5'3".

If I were nearby, I'd consider it. Even a "Tally-Ho" type restoration would make for a boat with a little bit of history.

PS: That box is not shown on the plan, the plan shows a tiller that goes almost the entire length of the cockpit, so I really think it's covering steering gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    Looking at image 6, if you zoom in it looks like it might be offset to port. Unless that prop is on the blue boat, but I don't think it is...
    Right you are. Can’t believe I missed that, seems so obvious now.