Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: like?

Default like?

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: like?

I'd have gone for a shorter shaft on that outboard.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

A bit too many straight lines for me. Lower the tip of the bow a bit, add some spring to the sheer and hull strakes and change the military colors and I think that I'd like it a lot.

But that's just me, which doesn't count for all that much...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It is a bit 193o's navy torpedo boat destroyer.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Needs a single round deadlight somewhere in the raised deck forward. What's the matieral?

No?

Doesn't really hang together. For the reasons stated.

Plus - the 'raised-deck' hullform has always seemed jaunty & cheerful to me.

This boat tries to mix that with military-wannabe detailing: paint color; slab-sidedness; harsh angular windscreen; etc.

Don't love the red with the gray... another case of near-miss. And the radar mast looks like a vulnerable afterthought.

It's a 'first-draft' boat, not a fully-developed design... to my eye.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Yes.

All that said though, hella better to my eye than the usual bloated white bleach bottle shape. I like longer and leaner, like this. I kinda like the long bow and aft cockpit, though frankly it looks more aesthetic than practical to me.

I can understand the attraction of the colour scheme and the straight-line wall-sided hull for someone with a military hankering too, as it pulls together some general WW2 vibe and a sense of the urgency to get a design off the drawing board quicker than a yacht, and out on the water where it could attack or defend something. An embodiment of an ethic of "the perfect is the enemy of the good," because the perfect takes longer to build, costs more, and you'd end up with fewer of them spread out trying to do their mission.

But I wouldn't buy it, for a very similar reason to why I wouldn't collect ex-military or military-inspired 20th Century firearms. I'd buy a 19th Century sword or pistol, just like I'd buy a 19th Century (or earlier) inspired boat.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The spray rails indicate she's built for some speed, so that bimini needs at least one more bow or it's going to flappityflappity drive me nuts.

She desperately needs a bootstripe and a sheerstripe or maybe just go 2-tone at the rubrail.

But yeah I'd take her to the dance.
    whoa, camel. WHOA CAMEL!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    david g and rare aesthetic agreement

with a little refinement it could be a great looking boat

so to start with, what to do about that radar???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I'd have gone for a shorter shaft on that outboard.
    Haha, took me a while.

Interesting and unique, but I'd prefer something closer to a lobster boat (more aft deck, more grace). It sure is unique and it's far from unappealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    david g and rare aesthetic agreement

with a little refinement it could be a great looking boat

so to start with, what to do about that radar???
    Jeebus... now I'm starting to worry... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I read the article in Professional Boatbuilder and was hugely impressed by the performance derived from such modest power.For my taste,the colours might be different and the windscreen frame and handrails might just be switched to varnish.The concept needs widespread adoption to reduce the leisure boating community's reliance on oil companies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I read the article in Professional Boatbuilder and was hugely impressed by the performance derived from such modest power.

Growing up there was a cabin cruiser at the local marina, that while newer than she looked, was reminiscent of a thirties style boat. Narrow, long cabin, and the smallish stern had a solid roof. She was powered by a single gas powered engine and made surprisingly good speed for a semi-displacement hull. That is the problem with todays boats, everybody wants wide vessels that get up on plane and go. To do so you need a lot of HP and a lot of fuel. I miss the days of narrow boats with modest and quiet power.
    Last edited by Art Haberland; 10-23-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

No offence but no, not like.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

I'm quite partial to slippery, efficient hulls also. Which often means long & skinny. Less weight to push. Finer entry. Less surface area to drag. Less wave pushed aside. So less power required. The tradeoffs are less living space below, and more dock space to pay for.

But here's an example of a more fully-realized design from Tad Roberts - The 'Yellow Cedar 34'... which is a second go based upon his earlier 38'. It is one of my fantasy boats.

http://tadroberts.ca/services/new-de.../yellowcedar34

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Straight stems and fast (planing) boats are wet and can exhibit some steering problems, IME. Visibility from the helm of this boat looks hampered, especially were her bow to rise any. I'd prefer the radar were handled the way they often are aboard open boats here in the northeast, with the mast running up the center of the windshield. Of course, I am used to that and that is likely causing a bias. Like so:

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 4.42.46 PM.jpg

Of course, if you put a hardtop on her, you can mount the radar, and other equipment much neater and obviate Figment's flapping Bimini. Plus you get to run at night without being blinded by your white light.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    ...the problem with todays boats, everybody wants wide vessels that get up and plane and go. To do so you need a lot of HP and a lot of fuel.
    While 'get up and go' is definitely one of the major considerations in the recreational boat-buying community (mostly by men), another factor is that the general boat-buying public also wants enormous space inside their boats for big cabins, big bunks, big galleys, etc., just like home. I hear this mostly from the women standing by boat-lusting hubby at boat shows, and a happy wife... Combining get-up-and-go with volume and overloaded planing surfaces gets you into needing lots of horsepower and big fuel bills.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Mount a deck gun and it'd be perfect for scattering the stupid trump boat parades...

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    A bit too many straight lines for me. Lower the tip of the bow a bit, add some spring to the sheer and hull strakes and change the military colors and I think that I'd like it a lot.

But that's just me, which doesn't count for all that much...
    Like this?

Rattling the teacups.

I'm quite partial to slippery, efficient hulls also. Which often means long & skinny. Less weight to push. Finer entry. Less surface area to drag. Less wave pushed aside. So less power required. The tradeoffs are less living space below, and more dock space to pay for.

But here's an example of a more fully-realized design from Tad Roberts - The 'Yellow Cedar 34'... which is a second go based upon his earlier 38'. It is one of my fantasy boats.

http://tadroberts.ca/services/new-de.../yellowcedar34

Ooooooh!
    Rattling the teacups.

Concept boat?

The red and gray make a nice color combination to my eye, but they are not the colors for this boat. Unless you are going for the military look. Which the whole boat reeks of. Pretty slab-sided at the prow, high with a lot of windage. But it's not putting out much of a bow wave, which runs down the side quite nicely. The stern wave shows the boat going at a modest clip. Looks efficient.

The radar array makes the flag look like it is being flown at half mast.

Jeebus... now I'm starting to worry... <G>
    Hold on...it's a trap/trick question!

I like it. But then, I am sort of a sucker for kinda slab-sided,plumb-stemmed pleasure boats. Looks easy to keep looking smart too. Keep the eye candy sheltered inside, down below, where the sun will not shine so harshly.

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

I think it's not bad. I'd wager it serves its designed purpose well.

I'd rank it 7 out of 10
    Can we have him keel hauled?

Anyone who uses a radar mast as a flagstaff ought to be keelhauled.

Quote Originally Posted by phiil View Post
    Anyone who uses a radar mast as a flagstaff ought to be keelhauled.
    Had not even noticed that.....good point!
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Come on, guys. It's Nigel Irens. He has given us some very innovative designs that even some of the traditional woodenboaters like. You should read the article which describes the concept; Low energy in, small waves out with some speed and low impact. Must be light, though. I think I might call the owner a patron of Nigel's who supports experiment. Has had other Irens innovative designs built and cruised successfully. (A CCA guy) Cheers/ JC

I have a feeling it would look better were the camera 2 ft higher. Or if they would paint the raised portion a lighter color.

Default like?

I'd take that. The sheer forward needs some spring to it. And it needs some deadlights forward as well. But a damned sight nicer than most.

Nigel Irenes design?

So, nice looking, fast and fuel efficient then.

And... what yacht club's burgee is that up on the bow?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Modern expression on a 1930s style

I like it, but then I grew up watching old "Don Winslow of the Coast Guard/Navy" serials on TV, so I'm a sucker for the type.

Oh -- and that Radar mount -- proof that every original idea is not necessarily a good one.

I like it.
    All go, no show.
    No clutter.
    Spring in the sheer and a couple of ports could be nice ,but then it's a different boat....
    The radar mount sucks,but at least you don't have to look at it most of the time.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.