Thread: elevated LED boat trailer lights

Default elevated LED boat trailer lights

LED lights seem to usually be, or always, waterproof. Products are available to elevate the lights on guides to keep them from getting wet.
    Incadenscent lights surely benefit from being elevated above water because they are usually not waterproof.
    Is there any benefit to elevating (put on guides) LED lights ??

Default Re: elevated LED boat trailer lights

Of course the obvious, that they can be seen better.

There are lots of thoughts on how to deal with lights and I've seen LED lights listed both as submersible & not. My guess is that the ones listed as non-submersible are not sealed - so that the bulb connections can suffer from corrosion - especially if submersed in salt water. Of course it may all be marketing & simply a way to charge more when they add "submersible".

Many here use removable light bars - which certainly eliminates any problems - other than flexing of the wires eventually breaking them.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Your own construction and use regulations may have something to say about it, IIRC those in the UK say a maximum of 1500mm (about 5 ft)
    We normally use a light bar attached / hung from to the stern of the boat.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

It's rarely noted--and may not be a big deal--but to be completely legal when raising trailer lights do not forget to illuminate the license plate, which is typically lit by an extra bulb in the side of one of the tailights. It is legal to raise the lights ( up to 72-inches) off the ground, but the trailer license plate must also be illuminated. So either rig a light low for that, or move the license plate up to match the height of the trailer lights.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A light bar removes a lot of concerns. I took a set of magnetic lights, removed the magnets, and screwed the lights to a board. I bungee the board down across the aft end of the boat. Then run the long 4-wire forward. No grounds to fail, bulbs to get wet, or accidentally backing them into a rock. I got the idea from Sir Thorne.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

a light bar is what we've used for many decades

to remain "legal" dad mounted the license plate appropriately lit on his light bar which has drawn some strange looks from members of the constabulary

one fine point which many don't understand is the requirement that the lights be no farther from the back of the rear most part of the load being hauled is 4' (a Texas law)

so if the load is an outboard powerboat w/ the engine kicked up the load ends below the prop

if it is a sailboat then the tip of the mast is that point

i did say "legal" and even though we've never been completely within the "legal limit" we've never been cited

same goes for the above mentioned license plate light...

i've pulled my skiff from the southern tip of Texas to Bar Harbor w/ a light bar mounted on the gunn'ls and the tag swinging under the rear frame cross bar on chain repair links w/o any hassle

IMHO having good visible running turn n brake lights on a light bar will usually be accepted

those new fangled LED tail lights sure are visible :-)

butt i aint no legal beagle ;-)

at a glance from 50 yards on a galloping horse visibility is your friend

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

After a prolonged match of wits with a set of recalcitrant lights on a trailer that was regularly dunked in salt water I made an interesting discovery. Despite solder, goo and shrink wrapping the splices, water had worked under the insulation and corroded the permanent trailer wiring. After that I used a light bar and kept the wiring harness out of the water with great success.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Elevated LED light bar, check! (with plate light)

It looks very good, great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mrteethcentury21 View Post
    It looks very good, great idea.

All, Thanks for the advice.
    I will use
    1) CE Smith PVC Post Tail Light Bracket, 2) CE Smith trailer Post Guide-On, 3) Optronics LED Combination Tail Light Kit for Trailers Under 80" Wide

Post photos and let us know how it works out over time. I'd put reflectors on those guide posts and use a light bar, as dunking any sort of wiring in salt water doesn't seem to work out very well.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.