Thread: use zinc anode on boat trailer

Default use zinc anode on boat trailer

use zinc anode on boat trailer
    I live 400 miles away from salt water. Boat trailers are usually painted steel, and not galvanized, where I live, North Alabama.
    Painted steel rusts even thought I live far from salt water.
    ? If I attached a zinc anode to my trailer, would it reduce corrosion ?
    ? Does the zinc anode only work if the trailer is in the water ?
    Zinc anodes are magic to me.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: use zinc anode on boat trailer

I think zinc is not used in freshwater.
    magnesium

Sacrificial anodes--which may be made of zinc, magnesium or aluminum--do not prevent or inhibit rust. They work to offset the effect of galvanic action, which occurs when two dissimilar metals are immersed in an electrolyte. So, no, mounting a zinc will not prevent your trailer from rusting.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

^ What he said...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

^ Yep. The only effective preventative is a good paint system or galvanising.
    Are there no galvanising tanks near you?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There is also zinc rich paint, at your Ace Hardware. I have never put it the test. Anyone else?

I have used quite a bit of Zinc paint, many gallons in fact.
    It works just fine.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0132059

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Sacrificial anodes--which may be made of zinc, magnesium or aluminum--do not prevent or inhibit rust. They work to offset the effect of galvanic action, which occurs when two dissimilar metals are immersed in an electrolyte. So, no, mounting a zinc will not prevent your trailer from rusting.
    Kevin
    I'm missing something here. I thought Zinc coated tin roofs seem to slow down rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    I'm missing something here. I thought Zinc coated tin roofs seem to slow down rust.
    They do indeed. But "a zinc" is different from a zinc coating.

"A zinc" is a chunk of metallic zinc bolted onto assorted underwater metal parts of a boat. It might be bolted to a strut or a steel rudder; a zinc collar might be bolted to a prop shaft; or a zinc nugget might be attached to an outdrive or the lower unit of an outboard. In the world of electrolysis, zinc erodes away faster than the metal bits it's bonded to. So these zincs are sacrificial: electrolysis eats away the zincs rather than the metal parts you care about. You have to replace the zincs periodically before they're gone. Otherwise electolysis will attack the parts the zincs had been protecting. Usually the zincs are sized so you replace them once a year when you pull the boat to repaint the bottom.

In contrast a zinc coating covers the entire surface of the piece it's protecting. The coating is a barrier to the elements. Metal paint, if you will. But it lasts much longer than paint because ultraviolet rays and ozone can't attack it. Hence zinc-coated metal roofs, fences, etc. last much longer without re-coating than painted ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenier View Post

"A zinc" is a chunk of metallic zinc bolted onto assorted underwater metal parts of a boat. It might be bolted to a strut or a steel rudder; a zinc collar might be bolted to a prop shaft; or a zinc nugget might be attached to an outdrive or the lower unit of an outboard. In the world of electrolysis, zinc erodes away faster than the metal bits it's bonded to. So these zincs are sacrificial: electrolysis eats away the zincs rather than the metal parts you care about. You have to replace the zincs periodically before they're gone. Otherwise electolysis will attack the parts the zincs had been protecting. Usually the zincs are sized so you replace them once a year when you pull the boat to repaint the bottom.

In contrast a zinc coating covers the entire surface of the piece it's protecting. The coating is a barrier to the elements. Metal paint, if you will. But it lasts much longer than paint because ultraviolet rays and ozone can't attack it. Hence zinc-coated metal roofs, fences, etc. last much longer without re-coating than painted ones.
    Thanks, I needed that.

No.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenier View Post

That isn't exactly right...not trying to be mean, but the purpose of zinc plating (hot dip or electrolytic) or zinc paint to to provide protection in case of a scratch that goes through to the base steel. In that scenario there are two dissimilar metals along the scratch and the zinc oxidizes preferentially to the steel. If I remember correctly zinc forms a tenacious oxide layer, while iron expands and becomes brittle and expands when it oxidizes...exposing more fresh iron own below.

That is why you coat steel with zinc. Back in the day when cars had paint over bear metal, a scratch through the paint would begin to rust in a few days...but today even if the scratch goes through the zinc layer...it is protected.

Russell.