Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Build consideration: Caledonia Yawl or Calendar Island Yawl

Default Re: New Build consideration: Caledonia Yawl or Calendar Island Yawl

Built in storage vs dry bags for me depends on where you are sailing. If you spend lots of time on the boat, intend to sleep aboard mostly built in storage is great. Drybags and other containers like kitchen boxes rule if you need to carry ashore. All of these can be lashed into place so that they augment their floation. One of the things I really like are the big divers net bags to hold small stuff. I keep one lashed across the stern sheet for all the small stuff. Has a big zipper. I also like net "decks" under which dry bags can be stored. This kind of thing is easier if your boat has a stringer or two which gives you lots of places to last things. Easy in a traditional build, hard in a glued build.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Built in storage vs dry bags for me depends on where you are sailing. If you spend lots of time on the boat, intend to sleep aboard mostly built in storage is great.
    Good point, but I think that depends on individual factors related to the design as well. Since my boat has a sleeping platform:

DSCN6361.jpg

it's much easier to pull out the bags first (they get lashed in under the platform) and set them on the platform. Four of the hatches for my sealed compartments which I could use for stowage are covered by my platform, so would actually be less convenient for sleeping aboard than the 2 big bags.

Again, no "right" or "wrong" here, just interesting to share different approaches. I've become a very strong believer in putting everything in a couple of big bags, though I used to store most of my gear in compartments. If I needed to bring crew along (I mostly sail solo), then compartments might be nicer to open up space for others.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I agree with all that Tom and Ben say, is does depend on your preference and it was not my intent to say built in is better but just not to dismiss it because of perceived loss of space; and relative to how much work building an open boat is, the built in storage is really not that much more. And if clutter bugs you or your significant other, built in storage is great!

I started out doing what Tom does with using flotation bags (fenders) and dry bags lashed under the side benches and thwarts. What was really surprising to me was how much more space and flotation I got when I switched to built in. The dry bags and flotation bags really were round pegs in square holes and all that corner space around the rounds really adds up far more than I would have guessed. For some of my side benches, the built in flotation/space was easily double what I was getting with the bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    FYI the Calendar Islands 18 is shipping
    It will sail circles around a Caledonia
    Interesting comment! However, I would think a better/closer comparison would be between the Calendar Islands 18 and Francois Vivier's Kernic design:

https://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/kernic/

I'm thinking hard about building a Kernic for use as a beach boat daysailer in the Med.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott de M View Post
    I agree with all that Tom and Ben say, is does depend on your preference and it was not my intent to say built in is better but just not to dismiss it because of perceived loss of space; and relative to how much work building an open boat is, the built in storage is really not that much more. And if clutter bugs you or your significant other, built in storage is great!

I started out doing what Tom does with using flotation bags (fenders) and dry bags lashed under the side benches and thwarts. What was really surprising to me was how much more space and flotation I got when I switched to built in. The dry bags and flotation bags really were round pegs in square holes and all that corner space around the rounds really adds up far more than I would have guessed. For some of my side benches, the built in flotation/space was easily double what I was getting with the bags.
    Interesting perspective. My (additional) 2 cents: My large duffel-style dry bags dramatically reduce the amount of water that comes aboard in a capsize, and is a big part of the reason I am reasonably confident I can recover my boat single-handed after a capsize. I tested with AND without the bags, and the boat is SIGNIFICANTLY more stable post-capsize with the bags adding so much buoyance.

However, that's not an "either-or" situation in my boat as far as whether bags or compartments provide more flotation--I get the best of both. That's because, in addition to 2 large dry bags lashed in alongside the centerboard trunk, I also have large sealed chambers in the bow and stern, and under each of the 3 thwarts. So in my situation, using dry bags for stowage adds a tremendous amount of flotation compared to what I'd have if I stored my gear in compartments instead. In fact, it shocked me (quite pleasantly) to learn that my boat may actually be MORE stable post-capsize when I have the dry bags providing additional flotation.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

For the original question, the Caledonia Yawl with built in flotation tanks and a motor well would do the job well. Four people on a day sail would be okay, if not a bit cramped. She's a pretty big loaf of bread. With fore and aft floatation tanks the boat will be self recoverable. Initial stability is fine for most people.

Core Sound 20 is also an interesting choice. Lots of room. Split rigs are fun to sail if you have others along to help out. I've sailed a couple of these and I had a good time.

I would say that any boat bearing Clint's name is a great choice. He legitimately understands the small boat experience. In this case, however, the overall volume of the Caledonia has my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.