Thread: Baltimore Clipper Model

Default Baltimore Clipper Model

My father has been working on a Baltimore clipper model intermittently for many years. At age 94, he no longer has the eyesight or dexterity to complete it. I'm looking for a skilled modeler who can finish it with the same level of skill that my father had. I offered to donate it the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, but they would only auction off the unfinished model to raise funds for their organization. The model is currently in New Hampshire. Here are a few photos of its current state of completion. The deck houses, boats, and hardware are finished and included.

Last edited by Dave Lesser; 10-22-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: Baltimore Clipper Model

Wow!

I used to make models as a young man. I mention this only because I can roughly judge the amount of work needed to finish the model to the same standard. It’s a very fine model.

I am in no position to take this on.

Since the ship is portrayed on the ways, your father might have in mind showing her ready to launch. If so, that gets the modeller out of bending the sails on, at the cost of additional launching details.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Wonderful work! Your father is a man of great skills!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

if you could get a hold of forum member donald branscom somehow. . .
    i believe he and bob cleek are friends off the forum

http://forum.woodenboat.com/member.p...onald-branscom

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

WOW! Remarkable workmanship and well beyond my skill level!

That is a beautiful thing...
    I would leave it unfinished and display it as such.

Your dad has done a nice job, I've done a few ship models and am a member of this forum https://modelshipworld.com/ I'd suggest joining it and you'll have access to a lot of model makers closer to you.

As a thought, given it is displayed on the ways under construction as it were and your father was building it I'd be inclined to get someone to just tidy it up and leave it under construction but I'm sure you can find someone to finish it fully if you like. As a tip you should be looking at a builders previous models to see the standard of their work before choosing someone to do it

Beautiful model. Is it scratch built or from a kit ? Are any parts missing like rigging plans,thread and blocks etc.. The model looks 90% finished to me. I'm a member of a local ship model club and know many members with comparable skill level as your father who might be interested in taking on this project. Contact me by private messaging.

Stay safe but have some fun

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

PS

Dave checkout this thread. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...oop+Providence

Keep safe but have some fun

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

I wish I could...

I wish I could...

I wish I could...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

There is something alluring about well displayed unfinished art. It often asks more questions of the viewer than a finished piece.
    I would be looking for a suitable craftsman to make a wood and glass display case, dust is your enemy here.
    Again, that is a special thing representing your father, and I would be very careful of someone else sullying it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    That is a beautiful thing...
    I would leave it unfinished and display it as such.
    Jake, that's an option that I hadn't considered, but it really has some appeal. He made a glass case for it, but he broke it when he removed it a few months ago and damaged the model. That was devastating to him as he knew that he wouldn't be able to make the repairs. With some skilled assistance, I may be able to tidy it up, as Steve suggested, and get it back to where it was before the accident.

JD, I think that this is the kit that he used. We have a box full of parts and thread.

Dave:
    I noted the 3 spars on deck outfitted with gaff jaws as well as the bands around each mast and it occurs to me that this sort of craft might have been rigged with a brailing main and foresail, though the picture on the box does not show enough detail, rigging-wise to confirm that. Of course, sitting on the ways, prior to launching, those spars would probably not been aloft anyway. Your dad has done a very nice job with the kit.

I second Steve's recommendation for http://modelshipworld.com/ as a possible resource for assistance.

Our best,

Craig and Vicky Johnsen
    ex-MAGIC

She is mentioned in Chapelle's Search for Speed, which refers to drawings in The History of American Sailing Ships.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

[QUOTE=Dave Lesser;6302937]Jake, that's an option that I hadn't considered, but it really has some appeal. He made a glass case for it, but he broke it when he removed it a few months ago and damaged the model. That was devastating to him as he knew that he wouldn't be able to make the repairs. With some skilled assistance, I may be able to tidy it up, as Steve suggested, and get it back to where it was before the accident.
    [QUOTE]

I might make some tools to scale maybe an adze, a brace and bit with a paint bucket and brush to set up against the ways...

edit to add: I know someone that could repair the case
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 10-24-2020 at 12:09 AM.

You might add some spools for rope to scale...or research how it was delivered in the 18th century. Maybe a rigging bench? Should be a really fun research project!

Dave Check your private messages.

Keep safe but have some fun.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650