Thread: Telenovelas

Default Telenovelas

Are cheesy.

Sort of the defining characteristic, as I understand it.

The tangled webs, etc.

I'm watching 'El Candidato' on Amazon, and I find it very strange to see some of the best 'Hollywood' TV 'spy game' writing wrapped around the Mexican political moment.

They say that watching Spanish language TV with subtitles is one way to learn the language, but dang!

So, knowing only a smattering of Spanish, mostly centered on 'Saca todos los clavos, por favor, y corta este madera aqui. Gracias.' . . . Having only a smattering, I really can't tell if it's cheesy or not, but it has all the earmarks of what we call 'good TV' these days.

I can tell you about 8 episodes in that the James Purefoy character is in danger of becoming a caricature.

Default Re: Telenovelas

Not a thread about Kojac then.... no..he's Telesavalas.
    Or is it?
    Last edited by John B; 11-29-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Way back, when Portuguese TV was begining to improve, they imported a telenovela from Brazil, called Gabriela https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrie...ian_TV_series)
    It was the first 'soap' in Portugal and it quite literally swept the streets when it was on. If you didn't have a TV, you went to a bar or friends that did. Number one discussion point for the next day. It was actually not bad and based on a good book, but it opened the flood gates and the screen got littered with many more. Lots of people imitated the Brazilian accent, which got a bit tedious.

Interestingly, they were mostly made by Globo TV, part of a large conglomerate. Life in apartments was glorified a bit... Guess what a large part of Globo's business was... Building apartement blocks, lots of them..
    Sailing friend's ditzy girl friend was hooked and wanted to go live in the local town in a nice apartement. They actually lived on a nice place where the garden fronted on a quiet beach. Such is the power of TV.

Dunno about learning from subtitles on soaps, prob like learning english from 'As the World Turns', Though I was intrigued by the bloke on some pacific island, learning from the canned goods labels.

To add: How much Spanish do you need to know? 'Dos cervešas, pour favour. Mon amiga Ústa a pagar' covers most situations..
    Last edited by Andrew2; 11-29-2020 at 12:21 PM.

the best aspect of tv watching to learn spanish is, eventually you learn to slow down and break apart the stream of syllables. its the syllables per minute that stops most english speakers dead.

"paulina de la mora" features a (hilariously) slow-talking heroine, good show too.