Thread: Georgia

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Georgia

I was born in Mississippi, but have lived most of my life in Georgia. Georgia is a much more visually beautiful state, From the mountains in the north to the islands and marshes and Okefenokee Swamp in the south.

Most of my photos are now in Mississippi and on film.

Default Re: Georgia

Thankyou.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Lovely. Really lovely.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

On my "big cruise" on the ICW in 2001 I found that Georgia was the most beautiful stretch. The coast was largely undeveloped and wild. During that cruise I anchored near

I plan to go to Tybee Island sometime in the near future for kayaking. I will definitely take a lot of pictures.
    Last edited by willmarsh3; 10-22-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Will

Veddy nize.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

#STOP THE COUP

Lovely Jimmy, thanks!
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

Is that amicalola falls in picture 2?

we had a standard poodle that loved climbing up stairs, but refused to walk down. I carried her the whole way....
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Is that amicalola falls in picture 2?

we had a standard poodle that loved climbing up stairs, but refused to walk down. I carried her the whole way....
    Yes, at 729 feet the waterfall is the third-highest cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River.

Taken today about a 1/4 mile bike ride from my house. Mountain on horizon in center is Mount Oglethorpe. It has an elevation of 3,288 feet (1,002 m). Mount Oglethorpe served as the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail from when the trail was completed in 1937 until 1958. In 1958, as a result of over development around Mount Oglethorpe, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail was moved about 13 miles (21 km) to the northeast to Springer Mountain. The mountain is also considered to be the southern terminus of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Mount Oglethorpe from Bishop.jpg

Brasstown Bald: Georgia's Highest Peak

Section 4 of Chattooga River between Georgia and South Carolina. First 5 minutes are of Chauga in South Carolina, so you can skip to the 5 minute mark. Water level was 2 feet higher that I have run it. I did it in a raft at 3 feet level. I have also done it in a canoe at a much lower level. I have done section 3 upstream much more.

Chattooga IV @5ft

One of the most spectacular canyons in the eastern U.S., Tallulah Gorge is two miles long and nearly 1,000 feet deep. Visitors can hike rim trails to several overlooks, or they can obtain a permit to hike to the gorge floor (100 per day, not available during water releases). A suspension bridge sways 80 feet above the rocky bottom, providing spectacular views of the river and waterfalls. Tightrope walkers have twice crossed the gorge, and visitors can still see towers used by Karl Wallenda.

During the late 1800s and early 1900s, Tallulah Gorge was the vacation destination for more people than any other place in the Southeast. A railroad from Atlanta was opened in 1882 and there were 17 hotels along the top of the gorge.
    L'eau d'or, Tempesta, Hurricane, Oceana, and Bridal Veil are the names of the major falls in the gorge, so beautiful they were nicknamed "Niagara of the South." From 1911-1913, Georgia Power built a dam upstream of the gorge and diverted the water through a tunnel to generate electricity. In the 1990s the area was made a state park,

Now in the spring and fall, some water is released through the gorge which allows boaters to use it.

Aerial Video of Tallulah Falls in Tallulah Gorge State Park, GA

Tallulah: Remastered