Thread: What is this chain on the rudder?

Default What is this chain on the rudder?

I've not seen this before. Just in case the rudder comes loose? Does it act as a preventer?

Default Re: What is this chain on the rudder?

Pretty common old school. It keeps the rudder from swinging to far over when backing down hard.
    Without a limiter, when backing down hard the rudder could swing over so far that you would not be able to straighten it out without first coming almost to a stop.

nedL had it. My old Goblin (Alden 43' schooner) had one and I'm thinking of a 2 chain variation for Meg.

I had one client who also blessed that chain he had always threatened to remove because it served as a lanyard when his gudgeon hardware failed and his rudder went adrift.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Seems like on the Maine Coast that chain would be a huge seaweed snag forever keeping the boat going straight.

Quote Originally Posted by preserved_killick View Post
    Seems like on the Maine Coast that chain would be a huge seaweed snag forever keeping the boat going straight.
    canít say that I have seen one where the chain is below the waterline. The one you pictured would be above.