Thread: Optima battery

Default Optima battery

Does anyone here use an Optima battery in their boat? And do you lay in on it's side? I believe they can be used in any orientation...
    I want to put the battery forward in my Ninigret, but the hatch area is too shallow for a regular battery. Laying an Optima on it's side might work...
    The things are expensive though...and some reports I've read say the 2 year warranty is about all you will get out of them...
    Too much money for a short life span?
    Any experience to share?
    Thanks
    Tim

Default Re: Optima battery

I have a friend who uses one in his Toyota pickup. He says it costs twice as much but has already lasted for more than twice as long as the traditional lead acids, and there's no corrosion at the terminals and zero maintenance necessary.

Yes you can lay them on their side. They are completely sealed AGM cylindrical / radial configuration cells, six to a unit. I had a yellow top in my van as a domestic battery, lasted well and kept the Eberspacher going. They do not like to be discharged fully however, but no battery does. Look after it and it will look after you.

I just replaced the 9 year old Blue Tops in my boat...and they were still fine...but I bought a new outboard and that required more electrical power. Very pleased with them.

They fit upright in my boat, so I have not used them upside down or sideways. But, they should be fine in that orientation.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You might want to check out reviews on Optimas, they are not what they once were. Seems they were bought out a few years back and quality has suffered.
    There are many other batteries that can be mounted in non standard orientation.

I’d avoid optimas. They are indeed not what they used to be.
    If you don’t mind spending more for a really good battery try this.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/?gcli...MaAlYeEALw_wcB
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

From Yuasa:
    What are the Advantages of AGM Batteries?

AGM batteries hold their charge well and are less likely to sulfate when compared to regular wet cell batteries (conventional battery types). Because of this, they are a great choice for vehicles that are not used daily. Because the liquid electrolyte flows freely inside conventional batteries, they must be mounted and stored upright to prevent leakage. AGM batteries, on the other hand, can be mounted in any orientation because the liquid is sealed inside the battery. Another advantage of the electrolyte being suspended inside the battery is that it is more resistant to vibration, which is especially important for ATVs or other vehicles that operate on uneven surfaces.

Marianita doesn't require much to run her GPS chart plotter and masthead LED so a relatively small AGM motorcycle battery wedged in against the hull (maybe 45 degrees off vertical?) has sufficed. A small solar panel keeps things topped off. I don't know what a Ninigret needs for power but it doesn't seem like much, especially with modern LED lighting on board. Maybe the traditional "deep cycle marine battery" is outmoded? In the VW camper van world we've been using one regular 12v battery to start the engine and another to run the interior lights for years.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

To further confuse things for me the Suzuki owners manual says "The use of maintenance-free, sealed, or gel-cell batteries is not recommended because they may not be compatible with Suzuki's charging system"
    So there's that...

That's a good point, I noticed the last battery charger I bought has a switch for AGM or wet-cell batteries.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

To further confuse things for me the Suzuki owners manual says "The use of maintenance-free, sealed, or gel-cell batteries is not recommended because they may not be compatible with Suzuki's charging system"
    I used AGMs with a pair of Suzuki DF 250's for 9 years. That doesnt mean it was approved. But, I experienced no problems.

I’d avoid optimas. They are indeed not what they used to be.
    Can you be specific as to what has changed?

Seems they were bought out a few years back and quality has suffered.
    In what way?

I have 75 hours running on the pair I installed aboard Breakaway in July. Put another way, that's maybe 12 charge / discharge 40-percent cycles. So far, no problems. But I will report back.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I used AGMs with a pair of Suzuki DF 250's for 9 years. That doesnt mean it was approved. But, I experienced no problems.

Can you be specific as to what has changed?

In what way?

I have 75 hours running on the pair I installed aboard Breakaway in July. Put another way, that's maybe 12 charge / discharge 40-percent cycles. So far, no problems. But I will report back.

Kevin
    I read a few years ago of the many problems overlanders (long term vehicle campers) were experiencing with batteries dying very quickly in use. Several replacements under warranty with similar problems. If I remember correctly, they changed manufacturing plants. A quick Google reveals all

Last time I checked the Optima batteries were garanteed about the same length on time as standard batteries but Optima cost a lot more.