Thread: continuous trickle battery chargers

Default continuous trickle battery chargers

Just bought a battery charger that sells itself by saying ideal for boats bikes etc where the vehicle is left unused for long periods, and the 'intelligent' charger can be left permanently connected, only charging as required.
    OK , got that, good idea, but never had one before as they were relatively expensive compared to a traditional charger. Now they are much cheaper and and the latest intelligent technology blahblah.

then reading the instructions, it says 'when battery is fully charged , disconnect the device'....huh?

Can it really be left connected maybe for months. ?
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Default Re: continuous trickle battery chargers

I can't say for yours, but I had a reasonably priced one that I left connected all winter.

The only information I have is reference to the charger for a 48 volt golf cart - it appears that that charging system 'assumes' that the batteries hold the charge and stops charging after a certain interval - Last year, I had to have the service guy swing by with a modified charger / jumpstarter to get the batteries to a state where the charger would maintain them again .

Rick

I have a "Pro-Marine" on mine that's hardwired and stays on whenever I'm on shore power. Been running it for two years so far and had no problems...yet?!? I've had good luck with batteries, though (knock wood) and typically get 6-8 years out of a set. Some folks only seem to get a couple of seasons. I do take care to not run them down below ~40% charge.