New to this club. Looking for chrysler inboard info. Circa 1947.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bwscott
    • Oct 2020

New to this club. Looking for chrysler inboard info. Circa 1947.

First post. My name is Brian and I just picked up my first wood boat. It's a completely homemade 26 foot mahogany cruiser built by the local legendary boat builder. It's my retirement project to restore. It has two chrysler inboards, 6 cylinder flathead. I believe they are 1947 models, but know nothing else. Where would I be able to find serial numbers, manuals, information, etc? Thank you and I look forward to learning from this group.

-Brian
  • pcford
    boatwright/film/video
    • Jul 2002

Re: New to this club. Looking for chrysler inboard info. Circa 1947.

As I said in another thread recently. Remember, boats are not like cars. You would not think of putting a Chevy engine in a Plymouth, but switching old boat engines for a modern version is commonly done. Your engines are over 70 years old. The chances that they were well cared for all of that is slim to zero. Much better to get modern engines.
    You can't walk home.

Comment

• nedL
      Senior Member #1976
      • Jul 2000

I might be able to help you out with some basics as I have a pair of Chrysler Crowns (flat head sixes) in my boat.

Pat and I sort of see things differently when it comes to these engines. Mine are 1957, they start when I turn the keys, they take me where I want to go (pretty close to 1000 miles this summer alone) and are simple to work on. There is very little that can’t be fixed with just a screwdriver and a pair of pliers so to speak. I will admit they are not ‘perfect’ but they give me no reason at all to think about repowering with something that I need a computer and trained tech to diagnose.

Identifying you engines should be pretty easy as Chrysler made only two basic flat had sixes, the smaller “Ace” (about 235 cid and 90 hp), and the larger “Crown” (265 cid and 125 hp). There were variations of both models (like two carbs.) that would give a bit more hp, but those were the basic engines. - Chrysler also made a larger “Royal”, but that was a straight eight.
      These engines are simply marinized Chrysler automotive and small truck engines so sometimes basic engine parts are as close as your local NAPA store. The identification plates would be on top of the right rear motor mount if they are still there.
      I have a manual I could help you with, and they do come up on EBay pretty regularly, I usually see them for about $50-$75 range.
      If you can post some pictures I should be able to tell you if they are Aces or Crowns.
      Have you had them running yet?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Garret
        Hills of Vermont
        • Apr 2005

Welcome to the forum!

You'll never get diverging opinions here - as you've noticed

Pat makes a great point about not being able to walk home, but Ned makes a good one about simplicity. If you are mechanically inclined, the Chrysler flatheads are solid, simple motors & were used all over the place & parts are available. I recently rebuilt a Bombardier sidewalk plow that uses one...

As said - pictures please!
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Alan71
          • Aug 2018

Hello Brian,

A new old boat to work on now that you're retired!! Good for you!

I agree, I/we would love to see some photos.

Ned forgot one item for your tool kit.... the cover to a book of matches to use to set the points.

Waiting for those photos.
          Regards,
          Alan

Comment

• johngsandusky
            • Dec 2003

Welcome aboard!
            Keep us posted on your project.

Comment

• Bwscott
              • Oct 2020

I'm not only new to wooden boat, this is the first forum I have joined. Trying to figure out how to send pics.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                Old Grey Inquisitive One
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bwscott
                I'm not only new to wooden boat, this is the first forum I have joined. Trying to figure out how to send pics.
                From the FAQ page
                POSTING PICTURES
                ...Should you have back-up of images you post? You betcha.

For a "how-to post images" series of screenshots, click Posting Images.

-- REMEMBER: if you post inappropriate images, you lose your posting privileges. --

Other hosting sites recommended by Forum Folks: postimage.org, Imgur.com, Shutterfly, Flikr.

Posting copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright owner is not permitted. We say this above, but it bears repeating. Don't do it.
                ...Click the image icon when you are in the posting section
                ...Select From My Computer unless linking from a URL
                ...Click Select Files (you need to know where you stashed them)
                ...Click Upload Files. You'll then see a thumbnail of the image
                ...Click Post Quick Reply and it will post in a bigger size.
                ...Note: if you have a "portrait" formatted image, the software will turn it sideways. So, you can either crop the image, or, put it on a "canvas" that will make it landscape orientation. (Horizontals work, verticals get turned horizontal.)
                ...Images byte size should be under 90k and sized not greater than 700 x 700 pixels
                ...Of course, you are welcome to host your own images. One advantage is self-hosting is others will see the images even if not logged-in. For images we host, the viewer must have an account and be logged in.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Bwscott
                  • Oct 2020

IMG_20200815_161950086.jpg

Here's one engine. I'll upload more pictures soon.

Comment

• Bwscott
                    • Oct 2020

Starboard engine.

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                      • Jan 2013

Welcome to the forum!
                      2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Comment

• Bwscott
                        • Oct 2020

IMG_20200730_121241349_HDR.jpg
                        IMG_20200730_121141567.jpg
                        IMG_20200829_141744460.jpg

More recent photos followed by the original maiden launch in 1954.

Comment

• Garret
                          Hills of Vermont
                          • Apr 2005

I see the supervisor is already on the job - excellent!

Have you had a survey done? I realize that they cost some $ upfront - but I can attest to having one saving far, far more down the road than the initial cost. If nothing else, it'll tell you how best to prioritize the work (engines don't matter if she's got a hole in the bottom or transom falling off, etc.).
                          "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• nedL
                            Senior Member #1976
                            • Jul 2000

That is a fun looking boat! And you are very fortunate that she has been stored inside.
                            I’m not a hundred percent certain, but based on that one picture I will venture that those are the smaller Aces. Do you know if they turn over? They are nice & clean looking on the outside for sure. Wish mine had looked so good.

Comment

• pcford
                              boatwright/film/video
                              • Jul 2002

Garret's and other comments are well taken. I don't mean to advise not to rebuild antique engines. It is your money and if that is what you want to do with it...well, more power to you. I like old engines too.

I just want readers here to understand; remember many readers here are new to boating. There are practically _no_ professionals here. Restoring a boat does not necessarily mean you have to restore the engine as well. Marine engines are not linked to their boats like cars and their engines are.

Sure, restore your antique boat engine, but I guarantee you that the process will be more involved than a trip to the neighborhood auto parts store. I once did a restoration on client's a postwar Chris Custom. This is a beautiful and very desirable boat. The engine was a "racing" version of the normal Model M engine. A very cool engine. The owner and I agreed that the engine be restored. It was...costing several thousand dollars. (this was more than twenty years ago) Upon attempting to run the first time, water poured out of the block. The place the mechanic took the engine for examination did not have the block test for integrity. Well, the mechanic was one of the old time Lake Union marine mechanics and a solid citizen. He did the engine restoration again without charge using another block. I last saw the owner several years ago and the boat was still in service and providing pleasure for the owner and his family.

Two points: 1. Be very, very careful when you make the decision on power for a restoration. 2. Marine engines are not linked to their boats like cars and their engines are.

Comment

Working...