Thread: My new Goat Island Skiff

Default My new Goat Island Skiff

Hi all, with the mini tug still under construction and the kids getting older I have been looking for something to get the family out on the water over this coming summer, I happened to mention this to an acquaintance and it turns out he had built a boat a few years back and that it was now just sitting in a shed wasting away as he really only built it as a project, he has seen my tug and knows I am up for the joys of owning and maintaining a wooden boat and rather than it going to someone that might be less than careful with it he was happy to let me have it for about the price of the ply.
    After seeing a few photos on his phone I was pretty excited but I was not prepared for just how amazing it was when we saw it first hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: My new Goat Island Skiff

WOW! Some really nice work there! That's one good friend you've got there!

Excellent! Thats a great design and looks really well put together, good call on getting the kids and fam out there on the water! Your friend is a keeper (but you knew that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Excellent! Thats a great design and looks really well put together, good call on getting the kids and fam out there on the water! Your friend is a keeper (but you knew that, right?
    yeah I knew that

Phill

Good choice. It's the design I picked to build when my boys (10 & 15 at the time) decided they wanted to learn to sail. It turned out so well that I became an 'official builder' for Michael Storer's designs. And he has stayed with us, and we traveled and sailed together on one of his U.S. visits.

Once caution -- it's an overcanvassed, very light, narrow hull. It can be tiddly with only one aboard if you're not paying attention. But the rig and the reef point make it quite easy to sail in 'don't make me set my beer down' mode if you wish. It'll also scoot - even plane - if you want to sail that way.

Enjoy!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Good choice. It's the design I picked to build when my boys (10 & 15 at the time) decided they wanted to learn to sail. It turned out so well that I became an 'official builder' for Michael Storer's designs. And he has stayed with us, and we traveled and sailed together on one of his U.S. visits.

Once caution -- it's an overcanvassed, very light, narrow hull. It can be tiddly with only one aboard if you're not paying attention. But the rig and the reef point make it quite easy to sail in 'don't make me set my beer down' mode if you wish. It'll also scoot - even plane - if you want to sail that way.

Enjoy!!
    Thank's for the advice, the guy that built this one made no allowances for sailing at all, only power which suits us at this stage, I'm sure if we get the sailing bug it wouldn't be hard to modify it though although I would probably need to buy a set of plans to get the exact positions of centreboard etc.

Phill

With days like this I wish I'd started boating years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

Score - what a great boat!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.