Thread: Boat advice / insight needed

Default Boat advice / insight needed

Hi everyone,

Hoping for a bit of advice and insight so I hope you don't mind the post.

Here in the UK, we have come across this old classic wooden boat and trailer when clearing our late grandparents barn. We have no knowledge of boats so was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on what it may be?
    It is 16ft.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
    Thanks

boat3.jpgboat5.jpgboat7.jpgboat12.jpg

Default Re: Boat advice / insight needed

It looks like an Ian Proctor designed Wayfarer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfarer_(dinghy)

In the UK, with a broken mast and a lot of tidying up needed. I'd guess 300 to 500 pounds

Yup, Gareth's spot on. It's a Mk 1 Wayfarer.

Great boats, and they do have a decent fan base as lots of people learned to sail in them at sailing schools back in the day. I did many moons ago, and bought one a few years back for my kids to learn in.

There are quite a lot of Wayfarers around - I think they built around 10,000 all in. A decent, ready to sail older fibreglass one would probably change hands for about GBP 1,000 to 1,600. The wooden ones are much prettier, and may fetch a tiny bit more in good, presentable and usable condition but they do require a bit more upkeep so perhaps more for the enthusiast.

The issue I think you'll have is that by the time someone has located a replacement mast, boom, rigging, sails, combi trailer/launching trolley they will are likely to have spent more than buying a decent used Wayfarer. They will then still have a hull to restore, and to hire/borrow a trailer to haul it away.

On saying that, they are wonderful boats and I'm sure it'll have some value to someone so please don't chop it up or donate it to bonfire night etc. I'd stick it on eBay with no reserve and see what it gets. To set expectations, I wouldn't be surprised if the final price you realise is two figures rather then three (or you even end up giving it away), but it could be a fun restoration project for the right person, and then would give years of sailing pleasure to many more.

Good luck, I hope she lives to sail another day...
    Last edited by AndanteEd; 10-14-2020 at 01:03 PM.

You need to block up the underside of the keel at the transom to keep it from sagging or what we call hogging.
    How far do you wish to go in the restoration? It is a nice looking little ship!
    Jay

I wouldn't get too concerned about hogging,the deep plywood topsides will do a great deal to hold the boat in shape.A planked hull would definitely start to droop without support.At the risk of disappointing the OP,I would suggest that the value of the trailer exceeds that of the hull as the upper two panels appear to be parting company with the transom.Not insurmountable,but boats of this sort of vintage were often glued together with Cascamite or Aerolite and it tends to turn to a powder with no adhesive qualities after about forty years.I'd go along with the suggestion of a sale on ebay with no reserve and it might help if you could establish a sail number for the boat-there might be one carved at the stern.

Obviously put the word out on the Wayfarer site; there is also a Dinghy Cruising site, and I think there are a bunch of folks in the UK who are doing classic dinghy restorations.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Thank you all very much for the insight, that is amazing. We will stick it on eBay and see what happens so hopefully she will live to sail again! Thanks again all the help, it is much appreciated.