Thread: Oughtred strong back box

Default Oughtred strong back box

In his clinker plywood boatbuilding manual Iain Oughtred added one afterword about using "building boxes" as a substitute for the long bearing structure or strong back. I am going to try them out and constructed two 8' boxes that look like they could be used in gross anatomy. 1/2 hardwood ply on easily to remove 4" wheels.
    20201013_192730.jpg
    20201010_192248.jpg
    20201010_192302.jpg
    20201010_192236.jpg
    20201010_192241.jpg

Default Re: Oughtred strong back box

That should work well though I like to be able to crawl/wriggle under the hull when I have to scrape out the epoxy on the inside of the planks. My friend showed me how to make a strongback using wooden floor joists which work a treat because they don't bend or twist.......................

Regards Neil

I've done somethings similar and added shelf pins inside so I can just stand them up for storage when not in use. Mine are the right width so that laid on edge I use them as an outfeed table for my thickness sander with rollers staggered to carry stock.

I think using LVL stockís a great idea for strongbacks. Ian likely didnít have such available when he conceived his box-beam idea.

Setting them up at the beginning for dual use, as with the shelf pin suggestion, only extends their utility, reducing the initial outlay by spreading it across future use.

(Curiosity got the best of me to edit this asking grey duck what use he has in his shop space for artificial grass?? That green sure stands out....)

My box has been around for about 15 years and I've built three boats on it. No wheels on mine - we just drag it around when necessary. Current project is Wee Lassie II.

Iíve had a couple of box beams made of two I-beam joists with plywood top and bottom. My longest was 26í.
    Itís convenient that the beam is movable. THe height of the boat can be adjusted to make a job easier. Iíve used mine as basis for a long work table for lofting and spar building.
    Theyíve stayed perfectly straight, even when stored outdoors.

I've got a pair of galvanized steel studs - I think they are 8" x 16' - with 3/4" plywood screwed onto them Use them for 20 years with various boats and projects. Straight as an arrow after all this time.

E40F3B2C-F5D4-45BC-B4DC-8D62FFB9F1E5.jpg

This is mine, 2x2’s and OSB, strong, straight, cheep and disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    E40F3B2C-F5D4-45BC-B4DC-8D62FFB9F1E5.jpg

This is mine, 2x2’s and OSB, strong, straight, cheep and disposable.
    ...and providing access to the inside it looks like.

love all the different approaches. the green astro turf is a rug for my fishing station where I stand and do lures and rigs - a real rug wouldn't last cause my dogs chew them to pieces - this they just play with when I'm at work and you just throw it back in place